View Single Post
Old 19-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
Nehumanuscrede
Rhino user

Send a message via ICQ to Nehumanuscrede Send a message via Yahoo to Nehumanuscrede
Discussion

Hmmm perhaps this is a good time to go back over the rules.

Here is my take on them:

The wireframe rule. Here is where things can get a little tricky. Sometimes, I look at the end wireframe result of a model I am ready to submit. I look at it in ghosted / wireframe / solid wireframe modes. When deciding how to submit the model, I do so with the judge(s) in mind. While I can submit the bare wireframe, everyone in here knows it can be difficult to see especially if it's a dense mesh. While the rule calls for a ' wireframe ' many of the applications today have the capability of showing the wire on top of the solid in OpenGL. This is MUCH easier to see than a wireframe only AND it's not rendered. I'm simply trying to make it easier on the judge(s) and fellow competitors here to see how I went about modelling something.

Consider the attached image. Same model. On the left is the OpenGL view with the wireframe overlay. It's a real-time preview of the model in the viewport. A screen capture was used to get it here. The right side is the same model in wireframe mode. Now I don't know about you, but the one on the left is FAR easier to see how it was done than the one on the right.

Another issue we can think about is the number of submissions coming from everyone. If you think about it, by submitting only ONCE per person during the competition, we could achieve possibly two things. Practice and model all you wish during the week, but only submit what you think to be your BEST work.

1) It would greatly reduce the number of submissions the judges have to
sort through. This reduces the time needed to judge any given week as
well as allowing the judge(s) to retain some sanity during the very popular
weeks.

2) It might open the possibility of being able to utilize a larger size render.
Emphasis on *might* here. With fewer images to store per week, we may
be able to push the render sizes to 1024 x 768 or larger per submission.
A larger size image means a bigger wireframe to be able to look at.

While it might be more complicated than necessary, consider a ' fixed ' render size to submit with the overall image ? Ergo an 800 x 600 image with a rendered 'subimage' composited onto it of no larger than Y x Z ? This will ensure wires are emphasized over the final render.

The non-smoothed wire is a no brainer here. Once the wireframe has been ' smoothed ', it is near impossible to see how it was built. Yes, it looks better but it defeats the purpose of submitting the wire to begin with. Granted, a lot of folks have to work in dense meshes to achieve a result ( booleans come to mind as well as cloth ) but try to show the mesh both before and after if possible.

The displacement maps rule is fine. As is the spline creation rule. If you're in Z-Brush or another similar application, then you're still sculpting or modifying the model. That should count towards your creation time.

Thoughts ?

Last edited by Nehumanuscrede; 19-07-2006 at 11:00 PM..
Nehumanuscrede is offline   Reply With Quote