Thread: DirectX Shaders
View Single Post
Old 29-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #34
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
The shadows are completely handled by max, so I have no control over how they are rendered. I could take a shot at doing my own shadows, but that might be a rather time-consuming endevour.

What kind of anti-aliasing are you refering too? Do you want anti-aliasing on the edges of models?

Most of what I've learned about this stuff I learned by picking apart shaders made by others. It was an EXTREMELY steep learning curve at first. The Microsoft online reference is fairly helpful once oyu get going a little bit.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...61(VS.85).aspx
It also really helped that I took several years of programming classes in school.
shadows : oh right. doesn't really sound like it's worth the hassle does it?

anti-aliasing : yeah - your standard FSAA. After reading a bit I'm now assuming that's lower level than the shaders

refs : Thanks very much I should have thought of microsoft really but I'd been concentrating on OGL as it's what we use at work.
I try not to think about anymore but I spent a few years coding for a living - some of it in C so I'm familiar enough with syntax etc. I just don't know much about the graphics pipelines or 3d maths.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote