View Single Post
Old 13-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #58
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
Ask yourself the same question with a car. Does driving Car1 make you a better driver than driving Car2? As long as you know how to drive then you can easily switch to a different car.

Same applies to 3D software. Quality of a finished piece depends on your knowledge of the software and your artistic skills.

Box / edge modelling, topology, UV unwrapping, texture painting, rigging, animation. Most software do all that. Some have better modelling tools, others have better UV tools etc.

I've been using Blender on and off for a couple of years and I love it. Before that I was an on and off 3dsmax user for years and liked it too.
It's not that hard to switch from one package to another anyway. If you can learn more than one then do it.

If you want to learn Blender, head over to blendercookie.com and follow their intro to Blender series. Then pick any tutorial, they're all of high quality. You can also peep blenderguru.com or blendtuts.com or [insert site here]. Blenderartists is where you will find most users and lotsa info.

And remember, if you want to be a kick ass 3D'er as you put it, you'll need to spend time 3D'ing no matter which package you choose.

Have fun!

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote