View Single Post
Old 18-05-2003, 03:26 PM   #56
Jenn

I'll join in the fray. There's a time and a place to use GI as well as normal lighting setups. As an artist, you should not pigeonhole yourself to one single technique. Probably the best thing you can do is pick up a book or two on cinematography. 2 movies come to mind though, Blade Runner and Amelie. Check those 2 out for creative lighting, cinematography and use of color. For camera angles and lighting techniques any Hitchcock film is worth viewing.

Now I must say I am biased. While I think that photo realistic renders are okay and kudos to those who spend the time tweaking until you can't tell if it's 3d or a photo. I just don't find them memorable. As I sit here writing this, I'm trying to remember any single photo realistic 3d image I've seen in the past. I can't just vague images of the hundreds of car/architectural renders I've seen on the web. What sticks out for me are images that are sublimely creative that use imagination and artistic skill to tell a story. Creativity and imagination just speak to me. I have no desire to recreate reality just for the sake of creating something that is photo real.