View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 04:48 PM   #60
sneaky_d

I would agree with Holo's view that GI is a tool, in the same way that any 3D modelling application is just a tool - the end result still depends on the degree of hard work and dedication the individual using that tool puts in to the work.

For example, consider the humble paintbrush. It's relatively easy to pick up a paintbrush and create something that looks average - in the same way it's easy to create uninspiring 3D images. It's a damn sight harder to create a beautiful painted image, requiring dedication, knowledge of painting techniques, composition and so on. This can be directly related to learning how to use a 3D program, how to get the most from it, and then adding your own spin on top.

Having said that, I still feel that GI is the lens flare of the 3D world at the moment - it's a tool that's becoming less attractive due to it's overuse. I've yet to see anyone do anything really interesting using GI - most of the stuff I think is really cool is done by people using traditional lighting setups.

sneaky_