>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
(nudity) human speed modelling practice

for the past few days, ive been trying to develop the fastest method for human modelling. every time i get better results and im trying to simplify things as much as possible and end up at a reasonable triangle count, roughly 3000 to 5000. heres what i got so far.
Attached Images

omnicypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
i got the head and body modelling down to 20 minutes with average topology, i still need to work on my hand technique.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
AlexSX

wow! this is fast! why don't you try to finsh one full model! i think you are doing fast. great job.
AlexSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
living_for_cg
Motion

Send a message via Yahoo to living_for_cg
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Total Awards: 9
looking nice...
anatomy is the first level..you are going well.
just keep it going.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
thanks. right now im working my way up to a full model, but i havent come up with a solid technique for modelling hands, feet, ears, and nose. i also need to practice super strong and fat body types eventually. once i can model a full human in a single sitting without breaks, i might move on to speed modelling clothes and full characters.
Old 18-07-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
i finally included hands, ears, and a nose into my method and this time i went for a more complete character. its at 3449 triangles and waiting to be zbrushed.
Attached Images

Old 18-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
heres the same mesh with some sculpting and a paint job:
Attached Images

Old 21-07-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
2 hour study, this time i was going for a stronger body type:
Attached Images

Last edited by omnicypher; 21-07-2008 at 05:24 AM..
Old 22-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
another 2 hour session without references. i understand alot of muscle anatomy, but i really need to find good references of locations of fat deposits in the body. until then my fat people wont be realistic.
Attached Images

Last edited by omnicypher; 22-07-2008 at 01:00 AM..
Old 25-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
a modular study on the repition of human form and rhythm:
Attached Images

Old 25-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
teknight
n00b extraordinaire!

Awards Showcase
Whoa!
That is some nice work...You wouldn't be willing to turn into a tutorial for us noobs, would you?
Old 26-07-2008, 05:00 AM   #12
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
thanks, i will probably make a tutorial when i finish simplifying the steps and memorize the method. mabey after 5-10 more tries. heres some modelling work i did on the modular rhythm study, it has better topology than the ones before it, but it hasnt been sculpted yet.
Attached Images

Old 26-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
maybe i should add speed painting to my daily practice. so far i havent used any references for anything on this page, but having a general idea of clothing style and gender might increase my speed and make my output more usefull. i might make a few sketches or look through old sketchbooks for forgotten ideas. i would like to make entire groups of people that all fit together in style, then sell them as character packs. ill probably start with FPS because they are always generic and variations are simple (soldiers and terrorists all wear similar uniforms), plus it just seems more likely to sell, (on turbosquid its hard to find high quality, normal mapped characters). then RPG/fantasy, and maybe a pedestrian pack of average people. it might be an ok way to make extra money when i go to college.
Old 26-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicypher View Post
maybe i should add speed painting to my daily practice. so far i havent used any references for anything on this page,
Sounds like what you'd really benefit from is not speed painting, but actual pencil & paper figure drawing from life. Sign up for a class or buy a sketchbook and head to the park and draw.

Personally I noticed the a huge improvement in my 3d work while taking a life drawing class. If you want to get better, there's no faster way.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 03:17 AM   #15
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
thats a good idea, i havent picked up a pencil this whole year. i use photoshops smudge, undo, and hue/contrast editing functions so much that im not used to planning out a pencil drawing. also i like hard drive storage, so my work doesnt get wrinkled and smudged from looking at it. im starting college in september, so im sure i will spend alot of time in life drawing/sculpting classes. i still have a 5 gallon bucket of left over porcelain i should be using, but zbrush makes things much cleaner, takes up less space, and gives me infinite mass to play with, so until im in school, ill probably keep it CG.