>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 25-09-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
XTCMatrix
The snake ya'll!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
War Spaceship

Well I want to start on another model, I am having a hard time thinking of ideas so I ask the public to throw me some. The original idea came from my good buddy MARK, he said "Make a boishock type spaceship," so I said, a'ight.

I started to draw some ideas but scratched at least 4 of them. After like 1.30hours or so in I just said "fluck it" and started just modeling randomly. This is what I got. Still my mind is a mess and I can not think of a cool design.

UPDATE! Please check last post for latest model updates, thanks. I also remodeled everything.

Last edited by XTCMatrix; 02-10-2009 at 05:40 AM..
XTCMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #2
XTCMatrix
The snake ya'll!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Alright after talking to MARK again he threw me some wicked ideas, although I am still unsure on the actual ships shape, maybe a submarine type feel, or if anyone else has something in mind, throw it at me!

QUICK!
Old 25-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
cgnemo42

Send a message via AIM to cgnemo42 Send a message via Yahoo to cgnemo42
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
Maybe something inspired by "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"? Sort of art deco meet steampunk. Perhaps go google retro futurism to get some ideas.
Good luck with it.
Old 26-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Agreed with cgnemo. Also, try gathering up reference images- steampunk machines, art deco styling, etc. Try to explore the differences between that submarine/spaceship idea. I.E. since the pressure system is inverted in space (trying to explode vs implode) what does that say about the design? How would the ship move around? These questions manifest themselves as aspects of your design, and you'll find that if you ask enough questions, you'll have your plan in place.
Old 26-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
XTCMatrix
The snake ya'll!

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the tips MrBlue. I have already started on a design, it's more of a vanship than anything. I will post some updates when I have a low poly "skeleton" of the ship. Then I will start modeling the sheet of metal.

Some things it will include, are:
-Q Submarine Windows
-Welded/Bolted Scrap Metal
-Some Old School Antennas
-Circuit Breakers/Modular Circuits
-Aux Engines on the side where the "Wings" would be
-Some Exposed Gears and Valves
-Water tank in the back connected to the Claudia Tank for power
-Some type of direction device for the thrusters
-Open concept, although not practical does look cool, the pilot will be wearing a oxygen helmet. Or maybe I will shut it off since it is space and the atmosphere needs to be maintained inside the ship

These are just some of the things I want to implement, I will add more if I find more stuff.

Last edited by XTCMatrix; 26-09-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Old 27-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
XTCMatrix
The snake ya'll!

Awards Showcase
An update to show some primitive shapes. Ummm I also added propane tanks where the jets are.

Last edited by XTCMatrix; 02-10-2009 at 05:05 AM..
Old 28-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
cgnemo42

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
Looks like a pretty decent shape so far Good luck with all the details!
Old 29-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
XTCMatrix
The snake ya'll!

Awards Showcase
I am in a bit of a snag, I can't get the type of feeling I am going for. I want to get a fallout three megaton town building type feel, how every thing is made out of scrap. But I don't know if it does here.

Old 29-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
cgnemo42

Awards Showcase
Well at the moment it doesn't, but I think that you should maybe look at creating planes and then giving them a bit of a noise modifier and then texturing and overlapping lots of sections like that. Maybe even some sections of corrugated metal? That might help I'd think. Also, look at adding more details such as bolts and pipes and various bits of machinery.
Should look pretty good!

Just out of curiosity though, what are the little cylinders hanging out underneath the ship?

Good luck with it!

i

Last edited by cgnemo42; 29-09-2009 at 06:09 PM..
cgnemo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
XTCMatrix
The snake ya'll!

Awards Showcase
Claudia tank, it's like a constant thrust so the ship can make turns and so forth. I think I will make a lot of metal's, texture then apply. Thanks for the tip, updates coming today!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
XTCMatrix
The snake ya'll!

Awards Showcase
Hmm I cant seem to find a good design, im sick of it! I tried a lot of different stuff this one if the latest, but I am still not happy with it.. Maybe something to do with my personal life... So I guess I will be back on this in a bit, when I get things straighten out.. sorry

Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Send a message via ICQ to Zlatovous Send a message via MSN to Zlatovous
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 
Total Awards: 7
I would recommend you to take your time and throw on the paper some basic ideas - like what should the ship look like, houw would the silhoutte look and so. Try also google through internet and find some references

Me personally, I just spent one lesson in school gathering references and doing very lame and basic concept sheet but thanks to this, I know how my ship is going to look like. It's for speedmodeling challenge and I suggest you to try it over there. Two hours limit will push you to set the proportions and shape of the ship first and then keep detailing it till counter reaches zero. Then you can continue further with it and who knows, do some killer scenery with it :-)

Just try to stick with your idea. If you see beautiful picture of awesome ship in your head, go for it and don't give up just because your actual progress isn't that pretty as it should be in final stage. I know, it sounds logical, but I struggled few times this situation and if my girlfriend didn't literally forced me to finish it, then I wouldn't see any of my work finished.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #13
XTCMatrix
The snake ya'll!

Awards Showcase
Wow that is the most inspiring post yet, Zlatovous thank you. I am currently drawing for references as you suggested and I will change the look of the ship to something I like.

Await updates! *Hint: It's a war ship.

Last edited by XTCMatrix; 02-10-2009 at 05:40 AM..
Old 02-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Send a message via ICQ to Zlatovous Send a message via MSN to Zlatovous
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 
Total Awards: 7
Glad it helped you :-) Been looking forward for updates
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #15
XTCMatrix
The snake ya'll!

Awards Showcase
Kind of sucks I cant change the title of the thread... regardless I got some updates. Cnc plz

This is blast door for small spaceships.

Persp. You can see side armor/windows. Should I keep the diamond armor or delete?

Doors to release smoke from spaceship when they launch.

Close up on blast door.

Close up on window.