>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 2D, traditional art and photography gallery

Old 26-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Talking Hula and Washka's joint project thread (warning, some gore and nudity involved)

<-----WARNING: Nuclear launch detected----->

Payload: Infinite tonnage amount of awesome in Hula and Waska's new joint project thread
Time estimate: ETA "NOW"!!!

Hey guys and gals,

Me and Washka have decided to start a joint project this year. We haven't set in stone exactly what we are going to do yet but thus far it is leaning towards a fantasy scenario...

Here is what Washka said about the possible ideas in his Nexus thread (sketchbook).

Quote:
Ok so fantasy, black and white for a start is nice (we'll see about colors later), so next is which type of fantasy style? And then wich kind of scenario? It's a six board one (If you're ok with it?) so it's quite short, and I don't want to concentrate too much the action all da time.
I think we shouldn't focus on something too classical for the scenario but more onto something where the style can fully express (visually), so that's we need to fix the style first, here are some questions to get it a bit more clear about the style and some additional questions about other stuff we maybe should start considering.

1)Something more like classical fantasy like D&D or Lotr Tolkien?
2)Something more like warhammer, big war style?
3)Something more dark fantasy, thriller, horror or underground like?
4)Something more lively like forest faery style with crazy cartoon mushrooms and imp? For lill' children who like candies.
5)Something gore and hardcore? Let's cut heads style?
6)Something with magical fantasy, with epic summoners?
7)Demons? Dragons? Knights? "Just focus onto one type" style? Power and doom/ gods?
8)Big bad monsters? Lot's of trap? Jungle fantasy?
9)Manga fantasy, you know, chocobo and stuff.
10)There are plenty of other styles...

Additional questions:
-A story with no hero? One hero? A group of H? Antihero? Superhero or something else?
-Want to focus onto the landscape? The characters? The bestiary? The buildings/environements/athmosphere? More onto action and scene?

Ok so those are some questions I would like you to answer if you want to.
I'll give you my opinion about those 10 styles:
1) Booooring if we don't get a bit of poetry onto the scenario or some original stuff, because classical fantasy has been seen and seen and seen and...(ok I stop)
2) Epic battle is a lot of work, a lot's of detail and I'm not sure if it could fit onto 5 board, or just one short battle.
3)Could be interesting but need a good scenario, hard to find a really good one for this style, too much B series and zombies movies killed a bit da style...Black color will help.
4)Don't know if it'll work with me, it'll get too funny, people won't understand, my humoristic taste are not synchronized with actual modern society, and it'll turn satiric, but it's an option. Colors will miss a bit.
5)Seen and seen and... But if you like big axes, blood and skulls, will be some action, expression and dynamic work, could be interesting if you like grimace.
Could be mixed with 4) for some crazy stuff. Can also fit with 2) 3), 6), 7), 8), so much violence...
6) 7) and 8) could be put in same group, discipline and philosophy, again it'll be the scenario that will make everything, and even if we can graphically work more onto "The" one style of the "choosen stuff", it's still kinda classical, but more special than pure classical.
9) "Easy" if we don't aim too hight on quality but even if I like manga, I'm not sure I actually want to draw those.

About the additionals:
hero or not will depend of the scenario, on a five board I think a group is not a good idea, I would prefer no hero, one, or something else.
Classical hero, superhero and antihero have been seen and seen and...ok
So if we make one of them, I would prefer we make some
extra-over-super-mega-hero or some anti-nihili-void-hero, or something else.
Maybe the style and scenario will help this choice, so think about wich kind of work the style will require when you answer and wich one you like, you can mix too.

Have fun!
As you see we haven't come that far in the decision process, but we are getting there.
We've dropped the bomb, let's see where it lands

What we are doing right about now? (always see latest posts for latest and complete updates): Right now we are sketching as well as refining and exploring the winning idea in the decision and review process of two/three main ideas (which are all posted in this thread).
The project has come to lean towards a graphic short story instead of a comic.

<--Personal 2D Threads-->
Nexus: washka's threedy ones
Hula's Sketchbook!
Attached Images

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813

Last edited by hulahuga; 20-06-2010 at 06:35 PM..
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
darknake
trust me

Send a message via MSN to darknake
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
great. i want to see it at once.
darknake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Hehe. We'll get started asap

SO I guess I should answer Washka's final question...

I wouldn't really want to do manga...

About the fantasy part I think that we would want a meaning to our images, so that is a bit of a prio. Which exact style we would want comes later (we don't really have to define it now as we can try getting a composition and then go onward from there). 6,7 sounds great, inspiration might come from 1 but I don't think we should replicate set figures...

In our pics we might want to have a main character (doesn't have to be dead obvious but it can still be a focal point...).

Some sketches of ideas would be great, or in writing.. (I'll go ahead and do some myself as well)

WIP
Old 27-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Hi

Care the blast out, prepare your bunkers, you'd better have some food supply, energy cells and lot's of ammo...
(Hope you're not camping into a zerglink nest.)

The missile has been launched but the ghost still remain on furtive mode.
Where is the target...
Even if there're some perturbation with the communication, I've heard that's top priority...they said it's classified.

Quote:
I wouldn't really want to do manga...
Ok, me too so 9 is out.

Quote:
About the fantasy part I think that we would want a meaning to our images, so that is a bit of a prio. Which exact style we would want comes later (we don't really have to define it now as we can try getting a composition and then go onward from there).
There we need to agree:
About the meaning, I think the style will already gives us an orientation for the scenario. But in fact we can also adapt a good scenario to a style that fit to it, it's also an interesting point of view I agree on.
Two are kinda related each other so it's not a problem...
Same with the composition, I know it's some strange way of doing things but I already consider the style when I'm doing it, because I think that the style also influence the composition and the frame dispatch.
Even if the scenario define the "startpoint" of it.
But you'll see that the style will quickly lead us to a scenario or at reverse.

Quote:
6,7 sounds great, inspiration might come from 1 but I don't think we should replicate set figures...
Yes, but don't worry I'm not a "replicant", I like originality so there will be a strong creative process. Lot's of concept.

Quote:
In our pics we might want to have a main character (doesn't have to be dead obvious but it can still be a focal point...).
It can be dead too.
So do you agree that we go with one chara first?
Wich kind of hero you like for fantasy?

Quote:
Some sketches of ideas would be great, or in writing.. (I'll go ahead and do some myself as well)
I'll start some concept sketches me too.

So we're on 6-7, ok, we need to define a bit more style and scenario
and prepare charadesign/world now is next step? What do you think about it?

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
We need to define what we actually want to do. I mean like how large the project is supposed to be (or at least the first stages ). Do we want a comic strip or a series of paintings??

I think if we start out with some basic sketches (or more detailed if we want to), just to find a suitable scene or whatever. Possible styles comes in here... When we have a bit firmer ideas we can go on storyboarding perhaps??

WIP
Old 27-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Quote:
how large
I've already suggested 6 boards (6*standard A4 size), I think it's some nice start (I'm a beginner on comic work), what do you think about it? It's short, but I prefer quality than productivity. (Personal opinion)

Quote:
Do we want a comic strip or a series of paintings??
I suggest some kind of painted comic strip, we start with the sketch/linework then we'll see (Black and white)

So let's get some ideas from quick sketches, I'll post somes later. We will see what people like. And we'll try to get some little story from it.

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
Old 27-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Sounds like a plan .
Try to think of some story ideas as well .

Ps: typing this as I am doing a final piece for one of my courses, so I have a bit on my head today... (has to be in tonight...).

WIP
Old 27-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
oh severe brainsstorming going on here.

i was hoping for manga but this is going just as well, bring the damned archmages my dragons are ready to feed. hehe

i found this very informative stuff maybe it helps out. http://www.cartoonsolutions.com/stor...ics-sp-81.html

you could also do a graphic novel , and seriously release it , it will sell like hotcakes,
if its a graphic novel u wont have to think limited comicing knowledge either.

storyboarding , if you could be done wth toonboom storyboard, really depend on what u prefer.

so whats it going to be with the initial drafts , cluthc pencil and paper or our beloved photoshop pencil?

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by aby arty View Post
oh severe brainsstorming going on here.

i was hoping for manga but this is going just as well, bring the damned archmages my dragons are ready to feed. hehe

i found this very informative stuff maybe it helps out. http://www.cartoonsolutions.com/stor...ics-sp-81.html

you could also do a graphic novel , and seriously release it , it will sell like hotcakes,
if its a graphic novel u wont have to think limited comicing knowledge either.

storyboarding , if you could be done wth toonboom storyboard, really depend on what u prefer.

so whats it going to be with the initial drafts , cluthc pencil and paper or our beloved photoshop pencil?

Ey man, good to see you here .

Just filed my final piece, Social Studies and Swedish for this year DONE and done good .

I don't know about archmages, but we might squeeze some in just for you, but I can't make any promises .

Hmm flashbased... Interesting.. Means more another workflow though.. Might be good with some of the speech-bubbles and such though .

And to answer you question about sketching: Well personally my initial sketches will probably be pencil or even charcoal ...

I love to write and brainstorm as well, so we'll see what more comes up...

Regarding ideas I recently doodled something in a newspaper and I had an idea...
What if we start out with a man with a noose hanging round his neck drawn to a murky cradle or gallows... Then we could continue the events from there in a dark brooding way... Perhaps something about the hunt of witches and heretics...
What do you think?

WIP
Old 27-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
polysmooth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My current DWIV entry was linked to the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime Style'' 
Cant wait to see what u guys come up with
Old 28-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Lill start

Quote:
Ps: typing this as I am doing a final piece for one of my courses, so I have a bit on my head today... (has to be in tonight...).
I will be waiting for it.

Some dark ideas there, speedy rough sketches, just to help da brain.
I'll add some more warriors/demons/mages later, and if I'm in a good mood, some hotties:
Attached Images

Old 28-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
NICE project!! I love the 3!
Old 28-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Thanks for your attention guys!

What did you think about the gallows scene??

WIP
Old 28-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Hi

aby why don't you join us in this one with your ideas and critics (or anything you want), we'll make a three men on project?
You're already quite on it.
Care, with me it's some kind of devil pact.
People, if you wanna join, just join the fun .
If the project goes on, everyone's help is something more on it, so...
And I'll bring da demonic dragon mage out!!! Or some kind of...

The idea of graphic novel is quite interesting but this one is a short one, don't know if it could fit in? Or need some shooort novel, I know somes, but then we'll need to ask the author of it, you know copyright...
We can also adapt one, I like the style of the short-story collection ones of Hitchcock's, Bradburry's, or Buzatti's. I think S. King did some nice "shorts" too. It can fit on two pages, I think it could be enough for a good basis story material.

For the initial draft, hmm, pencil, charcoal, toshop, pen, what I've got on the actual moment I got some interesting inspiration.

hula
Quote:
Regarding ideas I recently doodled something in a newspaper and I had an idea...
What if we start out with a man with a noose hanging round his neck drawn to a murky cradle or gallows... Then we could continue the events from there in a dark brooding way... Perhaps something about the hunt of witches and heretics...
What do you think?
Like the gallow idea, an heretic/witch part, how could things turn out then?
I think it's some nice start, an interesting idea, so what could happen next?
With 6 board and the classical scenario structure, it could be 2 board introdution/presentation that lead to the "big problem"/changing event into hero's "peacefull" life, 2 board for struggle/obstacle, and 2 boards for resolution/end.
The usual three parts story.
With modern times we've also got flashback, loops,suspense...that put some disorder into this type of timeline, that's not a problem for me, we can use it too.
That's for the scenario organisation part, what do you think about it?

People, if you've got some interesting ideas for some short fantasy "one shot", do not hesitate to post.

I did some new draft on this afternoon I'll post soon.

Hula can you update first page of thread with the actual scenario (gallows/witch one)? It's temporary, will be replaced if we get some better idea, or we'll add/change new info, but it's a start.

Last edited by washka; 28-05-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Old 28-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by washka View Post
aby why don't you join us in this one with your ideas and critics (or anything you want), we'll make a three men on project?

The idea of graphic novel is quite interesting but this one is a short one, don't know if it could fit in?

That's for the scenario organisation part, what do you think about it?

Hula can you update first page of thread with the actual scenario (gallows/witch one)? It's temporary, will be replaced if we get some better idea, or we'll add/change new info, but it's a start.

Like the gallow idea, an heretic/witch part, how could things turn out then?
I think it's some nice start, an interesting idea, so what could happen next?
(I'll answer in order of the paragraphs above...)

Feel free to join in Aby arty! But what I do think is that everyone are completely free to help us with ideas, comments and critique. But one has to ask both me and Washka if one wants to be in for total collaboration (like what me and Washka are in right now). This is just to avoid any complications or misunderstandings...
For me you can feel free to join in, or maintain our steady shot of ideas (which will of course generate an important role in the credits , not to mention a confirmed place in the Hula and Washka heaven ).

Why don't we write our own short story, that's what I would like to do . We can always look for inspiration in other works though...

Regarding the sheets... I think that we could, since this is a graphic piece with a possibility of a bit longer pieces of writing than in a classic comic, have bits of the story and descriptions of what is/was happening in squares with the drawings (like the squarish talk bubbles describing scenes in many regular comics). This will give us a larger freedom in our storytelling as well as in our drawing as both communicate ways supplement each other . Length might come more as we get more into the possibility of the story .

Done!

What if we have the man in the gallows at first and then we go into how it came to that... either by actually depicting what happened as a story to explore the reason or we can go on to other events that relate and follow the hanging... .
We can discover the inquisitions horrid means as well as the frustration of simple villagers with the powers unknown....

Cheerios!

WIP