>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 06-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
My WIP dump

Hey guys,

I haven't posted anything new since finishing my Tomahawk and I haven't done much 3D work since then either. I've decided to learn Blender so I watched a few video tutorials to get familiar with Blender's modeling tools. I gotta say I enjoy Blender 2.5 (haven't d/l 2.6 yet) a lot.

I then looked around on my desktop for something to model as practice and found an old firewire card. I decided to give it a go.

New resolution to avoid repeating past mistakes: finish any started project. So I'll take this one to completion.

Hope to get some time soon to continue working on this.

C&C welcome!

Latest update: 2014/02/13
Attached Images

My WIP dump

Last edited by McFly; 07-04-2014 at 09:58 PM..
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatMcFly! Thank you:
Rasyid (17-01-2017)
Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 4
looking kool mcfly
needse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
Kage
Perfectionist...

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''The Z-5500 Speaker system'' was featured on the frontpage! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 5
Nice I've been tempted to learn Blender, as a means of adding some particle systems, etc that Modo can't handle.

I've downloaded each release of Blender but never actually really took the time to learn the tools. Maybe you will be my inspiration to do so.

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Thanks needse!

Hey Kage. Give it a go. blenderguru.com and blendercookie.com are pretty much all you need to get going. Not sure how often I'll update this thread with actual WIP images so you'd better not wait on me to give you motivation!

My WIP dump
Old 09-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Trying to get better with lights and rendering... Still a long way to go.

Here's my kid's toy I modeled a while back. I still need to model a hammer and some wooden bits he can punch in the middle section of the toy.

And a 50% colour test (yeah, I know proper materials and textures):

I'll try to play with physics engine next time to randomly place different parts of the toy.

My WIP dump
Old 25-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
I watched Andrew Price's intro to Cycles renderer and thought I'd give it a try.
Here are my tests with 300 passes, hence noise on the chrome bit. I definitely need a new computer!

Cycles is VERY cool.
Attached Images

My WIP dump
Old 25-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
looking good mcfly
maybe up the spec a little bit on the black plastic to get a little shine it looks a bit flat at the moe
Old 25-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Thanks needse.

How about now?
Attached Images

My WIP dump
Old 25-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
Yeah nice just the gold bit now put some reflection on it
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Doodes! Long time no update.

Finished my card:

Update on my kid's toy (not too happy with textures!) :

Question about UVs.
What I am doing and I think it's not the right technique: I unwrapped the center piece (made of two cylinders for top and bottom, 3 "legs" and two plastic rings = 7 objects), textured it. So I have one texture for 7 objects. I then separate objects so I can move them around freely.
Then I did the same thing for the second piece (made of 3 smileys, 3 cylinders for the legs etc).

I guess I should merge all objects I want to texture so I can work with one texture sheet and avoid any texture scale issues.

What do you say?

My WIP dump
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
your card turned out really well mate
Old 17-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Looking good mate, frankly I do not notice much issues with the texture scale, however the floor texture looks a bit low-rez.

And yes, Cycles is amazing, especially considering it is developed by only one guy and is not even a year old yet
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Thanks NinthJake! No way I am going back to Max/PhotoShop/Windows. I'm hooked to Blender/Gimp/Ubuntu now.

So I finally got round my issues. I unwrapped everything again and much quicker than my first try, which is a good thing!

Here's an update, I'll damage/dirty everything next time. At least I've nailed colours and textures (minus floor) look better IMHO. I'll get a higher res floor texture too.

Thanks for watching.

My WIP dump
Old 18-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
Kage
Perfectionist...

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''The Z-5500 Speaker system'' was featured on the frontpage! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 5
I think you're picking up Blender very quickly indeed. Keep at it

I'm glad myself that I switched to Modo, but I don't think I could ever make the switch to Blender

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
needse
scottneeds@live.com

Awards Showcase
lol i like this little thing
very original model well done good job dude