>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > BlizzardFest Challenge

Old 30-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Thunderflex
Environment Artist

Thunderflex - UnEarthly " Desert Monolith" - 3DEnvironment

Here are images inspiring my scene. Compliments to the artists who created the images should they happen to see this.

The images seem kind of random right now, but it will all make sense soon!
Attached Images

Thunderflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Thunderflex
Environment Artist

Starting off with a rock and playing around with initial composition! ooo, ahhh!

Working on next rockset (obsidian/basalt) now that will be used to construct monoliths and add color contrast interest and scene depth.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
amirabd2130
Environment Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to amirabd2130
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 1
nice job so far
amirabd2130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Thunderflex
Environment Artist

Starting to work on the monolith and playing around with colors and scene composition.

The monolith is being constructed from 4 sculpted rock shapes that Im using as 'legos.' Ill post an image of the 4 rocks at a later time.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Overmind5000
Giant flying dorito chip

Nice. I look forward to seeing it complete.
Overmind5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Thunderflex
Environment Artist

Thanks for the positive motivation dudes

Here are the singles being used to create the monolith and any other spire I feel like adding. I knew these would be background objects so I quickly whipped up a few shapes in Zbrush that I thought would give me good silhouettes. These will most likely have a huge texture redux at the end since I dont really need any detail on em. For now, they'll act as my texture buffer to help keep me in the 4k restriction.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
Thunderflex
Environment Artist

Alrighty, so here's the monolith. Added a couple cloud ring alphas to help establish a little atmospherics, which also helped hide the end of my terrain ;p

Now that the easy part is out of the way, I can move on to building some human/alien dwellings to liven up the foreground and middle ground and help make this place feel a little more believable. Then, finish it off with some terrain work and optimizations. I'm pretty happy with how things are moving along so far, I'm making good time and still well within the budget.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Thunderflex
Environment Artist

lighting and texture updates: still not quite satisfied. ... moving on to more props so I dont waste any more time!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Great job so far. Those rocks look great. Are the monoliths supposed to be floating? If they are that's cool. Can't wait to see more props.
lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
Thunderflex
Environment Artist

Indeed they are! I've been thinking about revealing the one on the right a bit more to make that more clear for the viewer, so I'm glad you asked that question
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
gordon13
Professional n00b

I like where this is going. Out of interest, what software are you using for rendering?

If I had one thing to say though is, and I know this is still early game, but the last image doesn't seem to have a focal point. I assume the main interest in the image will be the monolith? If so, I think it's too hidden away behind other rocks, and there's nothing leading the eye to it.

Maybe with a different camera position higher up from the ground like in the second image on the second row of your references would add more interest. Or maybe a have the ground sloping down towards it.

Anyway, I hope I wasn't too harsh! Anyway, great work, looking forward to see where this goes.
gordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #12
Thunderflex
Environment Artist

I'm loving the feedback so far, you guys are asking great questions.

Here's a composition update with some new stuff gray boxed in. I'm still not quite sure exactly where I'm going with it but I'm definitely having tons of fun! I'm thinking about that floaty rock in the center acting as a sort of power source or maybe just a simple place of worship for the people living here. I am still working through different ideas on how the town will look.

--Gordon, I am rendering with Mental Ray in Maya. I agreed with your statement about the focal point being unclear. This update should resolve that a little bit. The center floating rock will most likely end up as my focal point with the monolith being a secondary focus in the background. I will be using the towns props/roads to help guide the eye around once they are built.

There is still a lot of work to do!!! Keep the feedback coming, a fresh eye is always helpful
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
It's nicely modeled and textured, but I'm not really seeing a focal point or anything that draws the eye in, so what is your endgame here? Might be time to think a bit more about the final image and its composition as this could be really great with a little more thought

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
gordon13
Professional n00b

Looking good The way you framed the image with the rocks and boxes on either side definitely help with leading the eye.

I don't know if the blockyness of the bricks used for the stairs and wall is going to feature in your final image but I like the style. I think it goes well with the sharp edges of the monolith and floating rocks!

As to making the focal point of the image more defined I'm sure as you add props that'll change.

Anyway, looking forward to the next update.
gordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
christopher
Working Hard

Send a message via Yahoo to christopher
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
Nice progress.