>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Sculpting

Old 01-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
The Coming of the Ice: Abominable Snowman

The Coming of the Ice: Abominable Snowman

Welcome to the Twenty-third Speed Sculpting Challenge. Whether you're new to sculpting, to the Threedy forums, or you're a seasoned veteran, come and join in on the Sculpting madness – there's plenty of fun and learning to be had by all!

1. The competition will run until the 28th of February 2010, 11:59 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here); the time between now and then will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting for the entries.

2. You will be supplying your own base mesh for the competition, from which you will start sculpting. You can create your base mesh in any application ( 3dsmax, Maya, XSI, Cinema4D, Zspheres in Zbrush, etc ) using any technique, with no limits. Do not use an already made base mesh, you must build it specifically for this challenge.

3. There is a fixed time limit for your sculpting. Do not exceed the time limit, it is part of the challenge.

4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.

5. You will have to supply a wireframe screenshot of your base mesh/meshes along with your final entry image ( see rule 7 ).

6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpt you can produce. If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable and on topic.

7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it, along with your screenshot of the base meshes used ( see rule 5 ). It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labeling etc., but do not add excessive post-production to the images themselves that may alter their aesthetics. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "Manage Attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

8. You can create multiple sculpts, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.

9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here and your FINAL entry in the Final Submissions thread here.

These rules apply to everybody taking part – there will be NO exceptions!

1st Place

Shapeways - $300 of 3d printing (models must be uploaded to shapeways before judging to qualify)

Digital Tutors - Semi-Annual Membership worth - $225

Topogun - Single user licence - worth $100

Eat3d - Any DVD (download) - worth approx $60

2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 12 month subscription - worth $40

3DTotal - t-shirt

*3DTotal t-shirts can be swapped for a 3DTotal ebook if you already own one

2nd Place

Focal Press - Any 2 books - worth approx $60-$100

Eat3d - Any DVD (download) - worth approx $60

2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20

3DTotal - t-shirt

3rd Place

3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15

3DTotal - t-shirt

4th Place

3DTotal - t-shirt

5th Place

3DTotal - t-shirt

Additionally, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners please send a request for your corresponding shiny forum award: http://forums.3dtotal.com/awards.php

More details on our sponsors and the enormous prizes can be found here.

Time limit: 10 hours

Start Date: 1st February 2010

Deadline: 28th February, 11:59 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here)

Subject: Abominable Snowman

The ice age has come and painted the whole planet white with snow. This marks the emergence of the elusive abominable snowman. Known to some as the yeti, the abominable snowman is mythological creature of unknown origins. It is said to be over 8 feet tall and have the strength of well over 100 men. Notorious for being a man eater; yet identified as a friendly vegetarian. With all the rumors, it’s hard to say what is real, or just rumor.

Is the Abominable Snowman truly a ferocious killer, or is it a shy lonely creature? It is up to you to sculpt it and define its personality and traits. How do you imagine this creature looks like?

For more information on the Abominable Snowman, or Yeti, read further on Wikipedia, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abominable_snowman

As before, there is no limit on the number of basemeshes, just on the time you spend on them and the sculpt itself.

As always, you can choose a realistic style for your sculpt, but you can also try your hand at a stylized version as well. You can do a head or a bust, but a full body sculpt is extremely recommended.

Let's try this out:
Download the free application CamStudio here, and record your progress on the sculpt ( set it to save about one frame per second ). You will not have to display it to the public, only to the judges in case you qualify in the top three. Of course, you don't need to complete the whole sculpt in one sitting, so just resume recording whenever you return to the sculpt ( multiple video recording files are acceptable ). Feedback on this idea is welcome!

Please read all the rules and brief carefully. If there are any further questions, ask and they shall be answered.

Last edited by Freespace-3DT; 20-02-2010 at 02:10 PM..
Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Total Awards: 2
Great! I will probably try to participate to this challenge, even if I have no chance of winning since I just started with Zbrush, might learn a lot from this. Been following this challenge since Myths and Legends, a lot of good sculpters here.

Doing a Yeti sure is going to be a challenge tough, have no idea how to sculpt fur in Zbrush...Anyway hope to see some nice design out there!
MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
anima3d
teh nabcake

Send a message via Yahoo to anima3d
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 38 ''triped'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 52 ''It's our birthday'' 
Total Awards: 5
great topic
Old 01-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
TerraBite
Master In Training

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I think I'll try this out

Can we submit a concept sheet as part of the entry or for opinions?
TerraBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
MightyReg: Sure the prizes are cool and having an award is nice, but what these challenges are really about ( I like to think ) is having fun and learning. So welcome aboard!

anima3d: Glad you think so.

TerraBite: Sure, please do submit concept sheets for opinions. You never know where some good feedback can come from.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Old 01-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Longhi

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge  ''After the smoke clears'' The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge ''jack 'o lantern third place'' 
Total Awards: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
MightyReg: Sure the prizes are cool and having an award is nice, but what these challenges are really about ( I like to think ) is having fun and learning. So welcome aboard!
Totally agreed.
My first one was like 1year and a half ago.
I had no chance to win at all, but was really nice to be with the amazing people around there...I learned a lot watching and receiving tips on my model.
Come on man, let's sculpt and have fun...this is what I'm talking about here!

That's great 3dtotal staff...
Congrats one more time for all this challenges...
Freespace, you're doing a really nice job around here...keep rocking
I loved the theme.
I'll try to find some time again and join this one
www.glaucolonghi.com
http://www.facebook.com/glaucolonghi
Longhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
anima3d
teh nabcake

Send a message via Yahoo to anima3d
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 38 ''triped'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 52 ''It's our birthday'' 
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhi View Post
Totally agreed.
...Come on man, let's sculpt and have fun...
yup... thats the point
Old 01-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
TKSDeadly

Longhi is right, after seeing super entries of Longhi and others, i myself started to participate, i have just completed my second sculpting challange (hence i am not a 2d artist i have to sculpt with the mouse not good with pen and tablet

But particapating is fun and will surely sharpen your skills.

Hope to take part myself in this wonderfull episode too

Regards

Good Luck to all !!

Last edited by TKSDeadly; 01-02-2010 at 09:57 PM..
TKSDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
GrantCeruloNYC

Hey FreeSpace, has anyone used a good equivalent other than 'Camstudio' that is compatible with Macs for recording their progress?

Camstudio is pc only.
GrantCeruloNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
TKSDeadly

GrantCeruloNYC : dont know regarding Mac's assets much, but you can record your sessions on Zbrush also

Regards
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
GrantCeruloNYC

Oh hey, thanks for pointing that out. I'll start using this feature in Zbrush.

Yeah, I'm trying to look into apple's 'ScreenFlow II.' I have Screenflow 1 and it works fine, but it doesn't have a timelapse feature, where you can compress hours of work down to minutes.
I could do that in Afx, but would rather not bother.
GrantCeruloNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksdevil View Post
hence i am not a 2d artist i have to sculpt with the mouse not good with pen and tablet
I'm not a 2d artist either, but I find a tablet really comes in handy when doing the detail pass of your sculpt. It's really worth it to train yourself into using the tablet, your sculpts will look more refined for it.

I sculpt with a mouse up until the 3rd-4th subdivision, and then I go at it with the tablet for the finer touches. Very hard to do at first, but after a few weeks of practice, it should work great for you.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
TKSDeadly

Wow Thanks alot!! Freespace-3DT for the tip, basically i never try using pen and tablet cuz you know not much fimilar with it, but your idea of using table after 3rd-4th subdivision struck my mind, Inshallah will try your idea in this challange

Thanks Again

Regards
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #14
Longhi

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge  ''After the smoke clears'' The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge ''jack 'o lantern third place'' 
Total Awards: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
I sculpt with a mouse up until the 3rd-4th subdivision, and then I go at it with the tablet for the finer touches. Very hard to do at first, but after a few weeks of practice, it should work great for you...
After more few weeks, you should be starting with the tablet....

uhn...let's think about some weeks later, you'll let your mouse inside the trash...

That's what I did some years ago

(Ok, I still have my mouse to model some inorganic stuff and open uvs)
www.glaucolonghi.com
http://www.facebook.com/glaucolonghi
Longhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #15
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Total Awards: 2
Hey thanks for the welcome, of course my main goal is becoming better at sculpting and to gain speed in my this domain (I only did 2 sculpts before so I am really a beginner ).

Did a quick sketch for an hour tonight when I came back from work, and here what I was thinking. I always like to put things on paper before starting something in 3D, feel less lost when I start. Still thinking about things I could do to differenciate it from a gorilla and make it more yeti-like. Some feedback about this would be great. (sorry about the size of the pic)
Attached Images

MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote