>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Sculpting

Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #61
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dack View Post
okay so as long as its some kind of snow creature it should be fine right?
If that's the case then I'm going to make Owlbear but instead of a normal bear and a owl I'm thinking a penguin and a polar bear.

Here is what a owlbear looks like ill be updating with my own version soon.
Let me know any thought if this is a good idea or not.I wanted to do something different then a yeti.
Sure man, it's all about the Abominable Snowman. That legend of an unknown monster. Most people agree it's the yeti, but as far as I'm concerned, it's an open subject for anything that might lurk in the snow. It might not even be evil.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #62
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhi View Post
Hey Sathe, nice start...
a little fag one, but cool...keep sculpting...
and remember...
you can do inorganic stuff for this guy....NOOOOT.

(I said that you'll be changing sides...no more iron and metalic pieces anymore)
AHUUHAUHAUHAUHUHAUH.

Poor sad little pathetic longhi, Clinging to his fairy sculpts :P
When are you gonna man up and go the "Hard Yards"

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #63
Longhi

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge  ''After the smoke clears'' The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge ''jack 'o lantern third place'' 
Total Awards: 13
hahahahahha
I love fairy tales

nice fellas, lets sculpt
I should begin my next few days...
keep it up!
www.glaucolonghi.com
http://www.facebook.com/glaucolonghi
Longhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #64
DELTATHUND3R

Hey all,Nice challenge..Will try enter this one if i have time...
DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #65
frango

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
Is the basemesh creation included in the 10 hours or can we start the recording from the sculpting on? If we can, can my basemesh be a Zsphere2/zsketch structure? I mean, It's not cheating, it's not different than sketching something in zbrush then retopologizing...
Old 04-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #66
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Total Awards: 2
Really cool and unique concepts everyone! I especially like the OwlBear, could be very interesting.
As for me, I started tonight doing the base in ZSphere and started definning the shapes. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think!
Attached Images

MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 AM   #67
frostsnake

Nice start everyone!

heres my idea, hope its not breaking any rules?

frostsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #68
frango

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyReg View Post
Really cool and unique concepts everyone! I especially like the OwlBear, could be very interesting.
As for me, I started tonight doing the base in ZSphere and started definning the shapes. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think!
Looks great so far, but I'd worry about the polygon density. Notice how there are more polys on the arms and legs and an insanely high amount of detail on the fingers for that subdivision level. Not only will it make it tough for you to work on it it'll get really cpu intensive once you subdivide it a few times.

That said, I don't know how to do differently coming from ZSpheres, my attemps at using them actually look awful, so you might want to look for a good tutorial or maybe try a different approach.

You could do a very quick retopology inside ZBrush, with huge but uniform polygons and set them to subdivide a couple of times while projecting details, you'll get this same silhouette but evenly distributed polygons.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #69
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frango View Post
Is the basemesh creation included in the 10 hours or can we start the recording from the sculpting on? If we can, can my basemesh be a Zsphere2/zsketch structure? I mean, It's not cheating, it's not different than sketching something in zbrush then retopologizing...
The basemesh creation is part of the 10 hours, but you can use anything to make it, even Zspheres 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyReg View Post
Make sure to start by defining the anatomy of your character first. This means any bones / muscles that it will feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostsnake View Post
Nice start everyone!

heres my idea, hope its not breaking any rules?
Love it, Kakashi sensei!

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #70
frostsnake

thanks! Freespace-san

I will star building up chacra for my basemesh ninjutsu
Old 04-02-2010, 04:00 AM   #71
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Quote:
Originally Posted by frango View Post
Looks great so far, but I'd worry about the polygon density. Notice how there are more polys on the arms and legs and an insanely high amount of detail on the fingers for that subdivision level. Not only will it make it tough for you to work on it it'll get really cpu intensive once you subdivide it a few times.

That said, I don't know how to do differently coming from ZSpheres, my attemps at using them actually look awful, so you might want to look for a good tutorial or maybe try a different approach.

You could do a very quick retopology inside ZBrush, with huge but uniform polygons and set them to subdivide a couple of times while projecting details, you'll get this same silhouette but evenly distributed polygons.
You got an excellent point. When I read what you wrote I tried going in Zbrush do to a test by subdividing my model, and the hands were taking all the polys and the belly lacked definition. I will try to see if there is a way to control mesh density with Zspheres, if I can then I will restart the model (only did 45 minutes so far so it would not be a great loss).

If I can't solve the problem with Zspheres, I could try retopololyzing my model, but I fear it would be time expensive. Anyway thank for pointing that out!

Thanks also Freespace for the tip, I will pay more attention to that.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #72
frostsnake

MightyReg-maybe it could work to bring the base mesh into another app to clean up areas that are to dense. just removing some edges.. or you could even build new fingers, and weld them on

about 6 hours on my snowman.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #73
Remmers

So according to your design Frostsnake, these footprints are a fake:O

xD

Oh p.s. nice sculpt so far
Remmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #74
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Quote:
MightyReg-maybe it could work to bring the base mesh into another app to clean up areas that are to dense. just removing some edges.. or you could even build new fingers, and weld them on
That's also a thing I could do, not a bad idea. By the way, nice job on your snowman-thing so far, even if it don't look like the typical snowman, his posture make me feel like he could be an abominable snowman
Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #75
DE3MOHD

Send a message via ICQ to DE3MOHD
Quote:
about 6 hours on my snowman.
Snowman? looks like a zerg
DE3MOHD is offline   Reply With Quote