>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > BlizzardFest Challenge

Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
ACeye

ACeye - BlizzardFest 3D - Troll Headhunter Veteran

I'm not sure if I can finish this entry as I might not have enough spare time, but however I decided to jump in.
Attached Images

ACeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
ACeye

There is a good rule in this challenge saying that this is a work in progress challenge, so I'll try to show the way I came to different ideas.

First of all I started to work almost from the start of Blizzrdfest but I still had no idea of what exact unit I'll be making. I tried different ideas of different units and mobs from WC and WOW. I did few fast scetches, trying to play with their shapes.
In the end I remembered troll headhunter. The voice acting was awesome, I was really impressed with all troll characters in game so I picked headhunter and spent some more time trying to give him some temper.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
ACeye

The character I have on my mind is an old troll, who went through different wars, starting to serve as an axethrower and then turned to headhunter.

I thought that it could be an interesting idea to make carving on his tusk, like the ivory once, like tattoo on tusk. So as a starting point for the carving I took some old wallpaper from WC3, I also added the dark portal as bronze jewelry as a reminder of older campaigns. ideally all details that stand out from the original tusk shape will be bronze, plus the steel blades at the end.
Attached Images

Old 19-08-2014, 01:08 AM   #4
ACeye

Didn't have much time so it's still rough scetch
Attached Images

Old 19-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
That's looking really cool so far. They were really slick units in the game, good choice.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
ACeye

I had some nasty crunch at work and lost a lot of time, so I have doubts now I can make it, anyways, here's a small update.
Attached Images

Old 18-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Send a message via MSN to tsabszy
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
really awsome!!
personally i don't love the standard shader ZB has to offer, coz after a long time working with that i had realized it was cheating my eye and many details haven't turn out as obvoious as it looked in ZB after i baked it.

but anyway, badass details!
tsabszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
ACeye

Thanks man, yeah, the red wax played some bad jokes in the past, now I tend to switch mats while sculpting to check different aspects of surface, any way it looked mor or less alright for the shot. As I'm in a real hurry I didn't sculpt everything the way I planned it.
Old 23-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
ACeye

I might assemble the whole Highpoly later as I have it's parts in different files, now I simply have no time to handle the lag.
anyway, here's the low-poly. I still need to add feathers to griffon head and fix the chained, but so far everything is mapped and I even have almost all bakes, just don't want to show it untill everything is in place.
Attached Images

Old 23-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
Fynn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mount Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
looks pretty cool
looking forward to your next update!
Fynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #11
ACeye

I guess these are my final bakes and low-poly with everything at it's place.
Textures next.
Attached Images

Old 24-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #12
Fynn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mount Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
wow that looks awesome!!!
can't wait to see it textured
Fynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #13
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Send a message via MSN to tsabszy
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
looks really great!!
tsabszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #14
ACeye

I guess this battle is over for me now.
Can't say it ended up the way it was planned, but I'm satisfied with what I have.
Good luck to all participants !
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 AM   #15
ACeye

oh, and it's Unreal Engine 4 in there btw.