>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 21-10-2003, 02:56 AM   #61
geoMan
is studying.

speaking about flow!

well.... this thread has been of gr8 help for all....especially, be4 i read this thing, i never knew howto sub-divide..
i just wanted to add up to kuman's concept, i agree with his flow lines.
flow lines, i think, are tweaked out on the mesh for a purpose... to generate a desired pattern....take a look at my scratches!
Attached Images

thread
geoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #62
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Well rage? Any more words of wisdom?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Subdivision Surfaces Here
Discuss Materials Here
Zytrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003, 12:45 PM   #63
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

c'mon man! im not the only one who can post in here!!!
chill out dudes! as soon as i have something interesting to say, ill do!
Old 30-10-2003, 04:53 PM   #64
geoMan
is studying.

well!

did anyone download kuman's sleeve lapse movie in which he models the opera performer's sleeves.... check it out

www.3dartisan.net/kuman/movie
thread
Old 31-10-2003, 05:34 AM   #65
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Er, the link doesn't work, and when I go to the domain... well, it comes up with letters and numbers as if the browser tried to display a file it doesn't know how to read.

rage: yeah, but like.... you're rage, you know?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 31-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #66
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Zytrex
rage: yeah, but like.... you're rage, you know?
whats that suppose to mean??? :P
Old 31-10-2003, 03:12 PM   #67
kuman
James Ku

geoman posted a bad link

http://www.3dartisan.net/~kuman/movie/

-k
Old 31-10-2003, 03:12 PM   #68
geoMan
is studying.

hey

kuman 'll help!
thread
Old 31-10-2003, 09:49 PM   #69
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
rage: Isn't it obvious? I mean, look at the picture... rage man, rage.

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 31-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #70
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
whoa kuman! that was awesome. thanks for posting that! did you see it rage?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 01-11-2003, 02:12 AM   #71
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

i still dont understand what u mean....what picture?
Old 01-11-2003, 06:56 AM   #72
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
are you makin' fun of me?

ok, ok.... try to guess the movie

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 01-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #73
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

not at all bud!
i just want u to explain me what u mean!!
Old 01-11-2003, 04:38 PM   #74
geoMan
is studying.

what

is there goin to be some progress? i am thinking of making a research for you to get something new
thread
Old 02-11-2003, 04:11 AM   #75
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Okay rage, I actually have a challenge for you. Well, in truth, I have no idea if this will be a challenge for you at all, but it’s a challenge for me and I want you to make it all better! I'll try to make this as easy to understand as I possibly can.

I was working on the shutters for the windows in my room and ran into a problem. How do I curve the edges and have them meet at the corners properly? My shutters are not in the included image. I thought it would be easier to recreate the problem with a box, and so I have.

Image 1. The top of the box is seen divided into 6 polygons.

Image 2. The 5 selected polygons need to be hinged about the edges of the unselected polygon.

Image 3. They cannot all be hinged at once since they need to hinge about different axes. Done separately, the corners clearly do not fit and no easy way can bee seen to fix that.

Image 4. Rearranging the polygons seems like a good idea.

Image 5. The 3 selected polygons need to be hinged about the edges of the unselected polygon.

Image 6. Once again, the corners do not match up how they should. However, the points at which the vertical and horizontal lines of the hinged segments intersect just happens to be the exact position at which the corners should meet. If only there was a way connect the lines where they coincide. Alas, I could not find a way. I actually tried creating vertices on both lines, moving them to the point of intersection, and then welding them. They refused to weld, unfortunately.

Image 7. If they had welded, I would then have welded the selected outlying vertices to the intersection point, completing the task I set out to do. Again, I could not get the previous vertices to weld at the intersection point, so this could not be done.

Image 8. So then I decide to move the outlying vertices to the intersection points manually. The points at which the lines intersect create a straight line on the XY-plane. The only curving exists on the XZ and YZ planes, and the outlying points are already in the right positions for that. The vertices connected to the X-axis parallel lines would only have to move along the X-axis to get into position. Likewise, the vertices connected to the Y-axis parallel lines would only have to move along the Y-axis to get into position. One would think I could just select the corresponding pairs of vertices and weld them, but that would move each vertex on both the X-axis and the Y-axis.

So, since the corner is 1 inch by 1 inch and each hinge has 8 segments, the vertices must be moved in intervals of 1/8 of an inch. First vertex is moved by 0.125 inches. Second moved 0.25 inches. Third, 0.375. Fourth, 0.5. Fifth, 0.75. Sixth, 0.875. And eighth, 1 inch. And that gives you the position of the vertices shown in this image. Now, since the hinge is curved and not straight, the vertices were not evenly spaced on the XY-plane. And so, this method did not get them perfectly into position.

I thought for a few moments of attempting to graph a curve on my TI-83 Plus calculator to compute the exact positions for the vertices, but then I realized that I'm only used to graphing functions and for this situation I would need to use polar coordinates which my calculator can do, but which I do not know how to do. Again, one might think I could just select the corresponding pairs of vertices and weld them, but that would still cause them to move along more than one axis.

I realized later an easier way to get them into position. Well, easier then pulling out the calculator and crunching some numbers, but actually quite tedious. It would have resulted in a better outcome then I got with the rest of my steps. It would have worked with the way the vertices were positions in images 7 and 8. Can you figure it out rage? Well I realized that the two sets of vertices were mirror images of each other originating from the points of intersection. Relatively speaking, the X values of the vertices of the lines parallel to the X-axis needed to be changed to the X values of the corresponding vertices parallel to the Y-axis, and vice versa for the Y values.

Image 9. So what I did next was delete the interior polygons. I then selected the outer edges of the remaining polygons, as shown. I did not know how to duplicate the edges at their exact positions, so I checked the position for the x-axis, and then shift-moved them a bit along the x-axis. I then typed on the previous position to that the new vertices and edges were in the exact same position as those previously selected.

Image 10 & 11. I then welded the edges to complete the corner. It doesn't look so bad, but it doesn't look so great either.

As I described before, I know how to get the vertices into the correct position and will do that, but I would have preferred and easier way to do this from the start. So rage, any ideas?
Attached Images

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here