>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 16-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Challenge #1 : September 2007 FINAL ENTRIES (Winners Announced)

I've decided to make a separate place for the final entries, not to confuse those who are not familiar with our challenges

So please post only your final images here. For discussion and details please go here: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=53660

When posting your final image please upload it on an external server (imageshack.us preferably) and use the image tag.

Please include the following in your post:

• Your name
  • Short description of the image
  • Technical details (how long it took, what software did you use etc.)
  • (OPTIONAL) A link to your WIP thread if you created any

Don't forget that the minimum accepted width/height is of 1024!

Looking forward to see your artworks

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 04-10-2007 at 02:52 PM..
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
Slug.45
Darksider

Send a message via MSN to Slug.45
September 2007 - Slug.45 - Dramatic Sunset

Hi res:http://slug45.jarfil.net/files/redplanet_fin.jpg

Ivan Pando (Slug.45).

Dramatic sunset + Lake/island + Ruins.

I did this image in 3 sessions of about 8+4+8 hours (at nighttime ) It's done in Adobe Photoshop CS3, some image references and a lot of layers. I started with an empty canvas of 2016x1270x200 dpi's and a very simple sketch and then I just added ideas/details on the go.

You can see a wip here.
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=54010

I hope you like it, and good luck to the others!.
Cheers.

Last edited by Slug.45; 02-10-2007 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Update!
Slug.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
adman

September 2007-Adman-Dramatic Sunset

Adam Woodward (Adman)
Dramatic Sunset-Ice-Ruins

Here's my image for the contest. In my eyes the Pyramids are one of the most amazing sights in our world! Making a dramatic sunset image with these in go hand in hand. This is "what's to come!" in the not to distant future with global warming and crazy weather conditions! this would be an amazing sight...very dramatic!

The image took about 15hrs all in all using just Photoshop CS2. I only had a mouse to use, no stylus pen! so the end result is not quite what I wanted, very difficult to paint with a mouse! (really must get a pen soon!!) first matt painting too, so for that reason quite happy with the results. I used about 8 different photos then added other details and colour correction with PS.

Hires Image. http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4...mefinalng4.jpg

Just want to say good luck to everybody in the competition. hope you all do well.

PS. My hires is at 1600 in width, hope this is an ok size?....if not could someone please tell me. many thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by adman; 28-09-2007 at 01:44 PM..
adman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
DAN-KA.COM

September 2007-DANKA-Dramatic Sunset

Daniele Montella (DANKA)
Dramatic Sunset: Ice+Island

Hi all :-)
This is my final image for Dramatic Sunset challenge.
I spent about 12/15hrs for this image.
For the 3D start rendering I used 3D Max7,and Photopaint for the 2D work.
I used various photo references for mountains, ice and other details,and pieces of photo as texture on the different surfaces.
I paint over the sky (a photo) to give more sense of drama (I think...)
The full size resolution is 2911x1693x300dpi's

Big Image: http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9...and1280sg6.jpg

Good luck all guys!

DANKA
DAN-KA.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
September 2007-EYECON-Dramatic Sunset

Eric J. Dima-ala - EYECON

This image is titled as "THE MALL". The concept is based on a huge mall that has all you need, literally! This mall has its own park, spaceport, villages and even a theme park! (behind the waterfall). Its a small world in one place.

This image took about 2 weeks of work on and off at about 3-4 hours a day. (Honestlly I just finished it today). I used maya for all the ships and the buidlings, Vue Infinite for the sunset (part of it), and photoshop to combine all the elements to create this image. Original working resolution is 3200 x 1600, I scaled it down to create a crisp final output. Technically this is my second matte but this is the first time I'm joining a competition. I've enjoyed doing this and I learned a lot! I'll be looking forward to the next one!

So good luck everyone, and see you all on the next challenge!!

LINK TO 2500X1600 IMAGE - 500 MB

Link to my WIP:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=53776

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res

Last edited by eyecon; 29-09-2007 at 10:35 AM..
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Nik

Send a message via ICQ to Nik
Dominik Hrabal - Nik
Dramatic Sunset, Island + Ruins (named "Forgotten Kingdom")

Hi all,

Here is my final project named "Forgotten Kingdom" for the Dramatic Sunset challenge.

I love fantasy and my first idea was about flying island. That's why I've chosen the ruins and the island from the element list. I wanted to create a kind of fantasy world, a forgotten realm, where you can see for the first sight that it really is forgotten for a long time.

This image took about 5 days of work / 1 or 2 hours a day. I used some of my photos made during my summer holiday in the Alpes. I used Photoshop CS3 for this composition and painting. The original size is 2000x1200.

This was really nice chalenge. I've enjoyed this project and I'm looking forward to another topic.

Thank you for the feedback on my WIP thread.

Good luck to all of you

My WIP:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=54072

Link to the final image:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8...etfinalcc0.jpg
Attached Images

Old 29-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
lilguy

september 2007//lilguy//dramaticsunset

Lilguy
LAC AND RUINS
This is my contribution to this challenge.
I try to make an oldmedieval landscape...
Painted in photoshop CS - 2 sessions of 4 hours
See you soon
Attached Images

lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
RQuack

September 2007 - Dramatic Sunset Entry

Ryan Quackenbush

Wanted to keep it simpler but effective. An alien landscape with the neighboring planet and former civilization in ruins. A very rocky, Mars-like atmosphere.
Not sure how long it took me. About a couple of weeks I guess. About 2-3 hours each day I worked on it, mostly because I hand painted all the backlit highlights. Used Terragen and Photoshop. Proabably the fewest references I've used for a matte. I taught myself Terragen for this project to see if it would give me anything good and it was alright, definitely had to paint over it. It really helped though trying to figure out the amount of light to pour over each mountain and all that.
Thanks for all the nice comments in the WIP and a big thanks for the contest!

EDIt: since we had extra time, just wanted to show it without the smoke since it would be a moving element anyway and not painted.

Last edited by RQuack; 02-10-2007 at 06:53 PM..
RQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:02 AM   #9
BySilent

Siderite One Three

Vue 6 no post work rendering time 75 hours though not many tricky effects just lighting effects with terrains.

Sunset, Lake/Islands, Sci-fi features.

Thomas Broadfoot

Last edited by BySilent; 01-10-2007 at 01:59 PM..
BySilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
I'm gonna give you guys 2 more days to post your work. So October 2nd, midnight is the deadline
Old 02-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
waheed nasir

Send a message via MSN to waheed nasir
fine work indeed, all of them. lets hope we get from rest of them as well - on time.

some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.
waheed nasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Ok, time's up. Winners will be announced shortly.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Here are the results of this challenge:

1st Place: RQuack with 9 points
2nd Place: Eyecon with 8 points
3rd Place: lilguy with 5 points

Congrats to everyone! Please contact Chris-3DT to get your prizes

Tom Greenway:

Quote:
I'm glad to be a judge on this one but it is a difficult choice. In my opinion a matte painting should be as photo-real as possible, they are nearly always used as the backplate for live action so I am keeping this in mind as I make my selections.

RQuack - Great colour palette and especially great lighting on the foreground rocks. Your water elements, ruin elements and bg mountains all look a bit illustrative for a matte in my opinion.

Richard Tilbury

Quote:
Eyecon - First of all the sunset features heavily as part of the composition which is well constructed overall and is nicely balanced. The use of atmospheric perspective has also been observed and is quite successful particularly the way in which the foreground bridge blends into the island city.

The right foreground area near the shore has been well integrated with the sky and mirrors the sunset to a competent degree.

The city does appear somewhat monochromatic and rather too orange as it fades into the distance and some more contrast in the lighting would help things along on the buildings themselves particularly on the main two towers.

RQuack - It fulfils the criteria but having a distinct orange tint to the whole image I feel makes it less daring than eyecons version. The use of perspective is also quite well achieved with some nice details and evidence of architecture across the water.

The treatment is less realistic than eyecons and has a more painterly quality especially around the center of the picture around the vertical rock formations .

lilguy - some promising qualities, mainly in the way the light is interacting with the river. This aspect is quite realistic with a good tonal range in the middle distance. But it looks unresolved and in a preliminary stage compared to the others. There seems to be more detail in the background than in the foreground which does not seem convincing and the sky and mountain ranges look painterly and possess a limited colour range even though tonally thay are quite well established.

Chris Perrins

Quote:
eyecon – Out of all the submission this was what I felt the closest to a matte painting than them all. The composition is really good with having the main building as the focal point and the bridge drawing your eye into it from the right. The water was nicely added but could have done with a bit more blending in with the main structure as it kind of looks like its floating onto of it. The use of light has been used well but on the bridge but not so well on the main structure. The side facing the viewer needs to be darker with a stronger highlight on the right edge.

All in all, the entire image is very well done. Congrats
Tiberius Viris

Quote:
There were a lot of good images in terms of composition and mood, but I felt most of the images were a bit too illustrative and less like a matte painting. (Don't forget that the main objective was photo-realism!); I had a feeling that they worked very well as concepts for a future matte painting, especially lilguy who had excellent depth and colors In terms of matte painting 'tho, I felt that eyecon and RQuack entries were closest to this style.
Note: Each of the 5 board members cast a top 3 vote which granted 3 points for their 1st choice, 2 for the second and 1 for the 3rd. Then, the final results were decided according to number of points accumulated.

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 04-10-2007 at 03:50 PM..
Old 04-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
Slug.45
Darksider

Send a message via MSN to Slug.45
Congrats to the winners!
Slug.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Congrats to all! I'm glad I got a little piece of the pie! Thanks to all the judges especially to Richard and Chris. Your comments and tips is and will be quite helpful to me. Especially since I really want to improve my skills in matte painting. I will use all your input on the next challenge!

Thanks also to Tom for taking time to judge the entries, and Suirebit who was quite helpful giving tips along the way.

Thanks again to all the judges! Well on to the next challenge!

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote