>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 20-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #16
Apollofox
Lurker

ok so my fear is Drowning and this is a really hard competition, I've never tried to make something from practically nothing in Zbrush, 2 little cubes and this is what ive got 30 mins into it, im not sure where to go from this point as the palm area has so much geometry to it now i cant use the smooth tool on it no more haha but the fingers dont have enough geometry to sculpt good detail onto them XD this comp might just be outside of my skill level.
Attached Images

Apollofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 05:40 AM   #17
birdman

Freespace-3DT: i always thought of that but then i thought well i really fear becoming those old people that walk around or driving around trying to act young again with their big fake smiles and lots of wrinkles and their comb over lol the old features are coming but not heaps of them i aint that good yet

Apollofox: i found the easiest way to smooth at ur level of subdivision is to drop down a few levels smooth off a bit then go up one level smooth off again keep doing that .....it always works for me hope that works
anyways ill post update soon as i get back to it im at bout 3.5hrs

Last edited by birdman; 20-01-2009 at 05:43 AM..
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #18
asep
AI of Portland Student

@ Apollofox
I think you should use a different box just for the hand, because otherwise your mesh gets too stretched.

___
Alright so, here is the story. When I was three or four years old my uncle always came to visit me and my parents. For some reason I was so afraid of him, it was something in his smile that really freaked me out. I remember he used to picked me up in the air and smile at me at really close distance to my face. I was soooo scared, that I even couldn't cry, I used to have nightmares about that smile. I never told my parents because I remember, I didn't want to get in trouble.
Don't get me wrong though, he is a really nice guy, but its just that smile man....

Now I am 22 years old and even now, when we talk and he looks at me straight in the eyes and smile, I still get the shivers, really crazy.

When I think about that now, I have no idea what his kids went through....Hehe
_____
Ok, so this is my sculpt, it took about four hours and a half. At first I was afraid to start because I had never started a sculpt just form a simple box, but its not bad at all.

I want to thank the moderators that showed me that starting form a box is really fun way to sculpt! Thanks guys!

Just one question: Should we submit our final screen shots now, or there will be another thread? Sorry to bother, but it is my first time participating in this kind of challenge.

Andrey
Attached Images

Old 20-01-2009, 06:57 AM   #19
Scrat
Still hiding the acorn

The uncle is outstanding, I like your concept, your way of thinking and you found the best way to visualize that!

Congratulations!
Old 20-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #20
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
I'll be making a Final Submissions layer, and you can submit your final work there.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #21
darkmonk

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
hi guys,

Sounds like an interesting topic and we should see a good variety of models.
Im going to try and enter this one if i can get the time, hopefully i can get started at the weekend so i have a few days to think something up

good luck to all
Old 20-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #22
mre

hi guys.
some raelly great works.
Apollofox i like your idea.
asep great model.

about concept i will explan it later.
here is my work . 2hours & 16 minutes
I design this model from my mind without any refrence so
please help me by your useful comment to correct this model.
Attached Images

mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #23
mre

Thanks agrmrs and nice model i love it

new update 3 hurs & 19 minutes

zbrush levels: http://i44.tinypic.com/jzt5k.jpg
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #24
COULESY

update!

Hi thanks for the feedback agrmrs everyones work is looking great looks like theres some real talented individuals out there.

anyways heres my latest screen shots currently standing at 1 hour 40mins
Attached Images

Old 21-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #25
birdman

well i think i might be finished after 4.5 hrs
anyways here it is the wannabe young man lol why dont old people give up trying to be young????
Attached Images

birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #26
COULESY

Hey everyone here is the lastest screen of my shark been working on it for 3hours 40 mins now not really sure what to do with it now so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

also if anyone knows a better way of doing the teeth that would be cool as im still a noob.

thanks
Attached Images

Old 21-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #27
asep
AI of Portland Student

@ COULESY

I really like your last shot of the shark, it reminds me of the movie "Deep Blue Sea"

I would bend the body in a C curve so you can show more of the tale and the actual body. I think if you do that, the shark will seem to make an aggressive swing, getting ready to bite someone.

As for the teeth, just subdivide and reshape man.

Andrey
Old 21-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #28
COULESY

Think im finished

Iv still got some time left so might make some tweeks but im happy with it as it is for now.

Thanks for the feedback asep I took your advice! I think he looks alot meaner turned that way.

any feedback is welcome.
Attached Images

Old 22-01-2009, 02:27 AM   #29
asep
AI of Portland Student

Oh yeah man, you are right it looks alot meaner now. Really nice shark!
I would suggest to change your shader or matcap in Zbrush for better presentation purposes, because you know... I think the red waxy shader doesnt present your shark model the best.

Andrey
Old 22-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #30
Siah

This was sculpted in a little less than 3 Hours. Still working on it.
Siah is offline   Reply With Quote