>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 28-07-2003, 03:42 AM   #46
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

explanation on the fly!!

here u go my dear friend, hope it helps!!
cheers
Attached Images

Old 28-07-2003, 05:06 AM   #47
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Rage, that is so frellin cool....man, I wanna have your children!

I have a confession to make....I've never used Edit Poly before a couple days ago, I've always used Edit Mesh because that's what I learned on and, other than that little curvy button, I didn't know what the difference was between the two, and I never bothered to investigate. But man, I didn't know what I was missing! Edit Poly is just so freaking easy to use! I don't think I'll ever use Edit Mesh again. Man, I wonder what my character would look like now if I had been using Edit Poly. Just sitting here typing this, I can think of dozens of situations where the tools in Edit Poly would have made my work so much faster and more precise! Rage...you da man!

By the way, to anyone reading this who is also just becoming familiar with Edit Poly: Make sure you do those steps, that Rage laid out, three times, to get all the sides of the cube. I accidentally only did it two times and my cube kept getting curved and stuff and I was all set up to go into Photoshop and put a bunch of renders together and explain the problem to Rage when I realized I didn't get all three planes done. Argh!

Thank again Rage!

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Subdivision Surfaces Here
Discuss Materials Here
Zytrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2003, 01:43 PM   #48
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

thanks dude!

yup, poly objects are so muchbetter than emesh....hehe, glad u discovered them. i didnt used emesh for a long time now...hehehe

cheers!
Old 28-07-2003, 01:55 PM   #49
lillypusher
you being good yet?

rage - i notice u ignored the bit about Zytrex wanting to have your children...

Old 29-07-2003, 09:03 AM   #50
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Yeah! What's with that? Don't leave me hangin man!

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 29-07-2003, 01:23 PM   #51
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

Talking

LOL!
Old 30-07-2003, 03:38 AM   #52
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Hey, are you aware of any issues in taking a model that's been worked on and worked on as an emesh and converting it to a epoly?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 30-07-2003, 03:55 AM   #53
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

nope
Old 31-07-2003, 06:41 AM   #54
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Ahhh! Short, simple, and complete. Don't get no betta!

So, Rage, do you know of any good breast making tutorials? Don't take this the wrong way, but I've been playing with my models breasts for months, and I just can't get no satisfaction! I don't really like the part of the Joan of Arc tutorial that covers the breasts.

On a side note, I think that the Joan of Arc model has some extremely serious back problems. It shows her entire mid and upper torso about two or three inches farther forward than they should be. Maybe it has something to do with the angle of her legs and the position of her hips, but it just doesn't look right. Has anyone else noticed this?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 31-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #55
Mike-3DT

quick breast tutorial:
create a hemisphere. grab the top vertex where the nipple would go & turn on soft selection. (or magnet tool in other apps.) adjust the soft selection until you have everything selected except the verts on the last edge loop (as in the back of the breast where it will attach to the chest,) and make sure it has a nice falloff. Now drag it down a little and rotate it from the side view so it turns upwards - but only very slightly.
That's pretty much it. If she's going to be wearing clothes, you're done. If not, or if you're a completionist, feel free to spend way too long modelling the perfect nipple for your own perverse pleasure.
Old 31-07-2003, 01:17 PM   #56
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Okay, cool. Yeah, it's really been buggin me. From one angle they look fine, from another they'll look...funny. Now I just gotta figure out how to attach them to her chest...after I get rid of the ones already there...and after I somehow clean up the mess that will leave. Ugh!

I guess I should just delete the breasts, leaving a big ugly hole, and then move the verts around until they're evenly spaced and in somewhat of a circle, right? What kind of sphere do you think? Normal spehere? Geosphere? How many segments? Well? Hmm!?

Hmm, how flat should the chest be, without the breasts that is.? That's another thing that bothered me. From certain angles it would look like structure underneath the breasts was very round, or something.

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here

Last edited by Zytrex; 31-07-2003 at 02:49 PM..
Old 04-08-2003, 02:31 PM   #57
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Yep... still thinking.

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 04-08-2003, 06:29 PM   #58
Mike-3DT

Regarding them looking funny from certain angles, I can't really offer you much more advice than get some reference images from the angles that look odd or as close as you can & study them & then tweak the verts into shape.

If you're going to delete, then personally I would leave the resulting hole as more of a teardrop shape. That way the bottom part is rounded & the top can blend into the chest easier. As for what type - it's going to depend on the project. High res go with a normal sphere with enough segments to smooth well, (try with a standard sphere before attaching,) if it's a low poly character, definately go with a geosphere, with as few segments as you can get away with whilst still looking good.

Lastly, a female chest without breasts would not be flat, no more than a male chest is. It's basically an ovoid mass (other people might say barrel shaped or something - the point is it's rounded.) Here I would try to get hold of some pics of guys topless - but make sure it's skinnier guys, not musclebound heros & then adapt from that.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:34 AM   #59
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Thanks a lot for the advice Mike!

Psst... By the way, on the free textures page, the text link to the weird section has slightly incorrect spelling. You might want to let someone know about that. For some reason, that I before E rule does not apply to the word weird. Isn't that weird?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 15-08-2003, 08:02 AM   #60
kuman
James Ku

kinda late

but refering to your image count zero

what you're seeing there is called a pole

its where more than 4 edges meet at one intersection. it is virtually impossible to model without poles. consider this, when two edges loop sets, train tracks if you will, diverge, it will create a pole even if you resolve the point of divergence into quads.

another common function that creates a pole is extrusion.

what you're seeing there is an inevitability of modeling. if all your loops followed one track and you never extruded you could probably pull this off, but like i said, its basically impossible to model without poles.

so don't worry too much about it, just try to keep em to a minimum if you can and if you really feel the compulsive need to have as perfect a quad mesh as possible

-k