>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 18-03-2003, 12:47 AM   #31
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
....... huh

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Subdivision Surfaces Here
Discuss Materials Here
Zytrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2003, 08:45 PM   #32
Mike-3DT

Yeah we use it here in the UK too, which is why I knew what you meant.
For those who don't, CV is short for Curriculum Vitae which is latin for resume. (literally I think it means 'life of study' or study history.)
And now back to the lighting discussion:
So with GI becoming more likely to become the predominant method of lighting in CG, do any of you think there is still a place for learning traditional (i.e. photography & film,) lighting techniques, such as the 3 point setup?
Old 18-03-2003, 10:43 PM   #33
Emperor
Cookiefreak

I think that GI resolutions have really revolutionised the industry so far. PPl can come up with some menacing real renders. But I still do think that if u really gonna be able to use it at its full potentional u should know how it works. So learning things like 3 point setup I think is still good to learn. Cuz even if I use Brazil with a skylight to render a thing I always use at least a spot for that sourse of light simulation and in the final renders I usually use a backlight as well. So I think that these things combined give best results.

Today it does take pretty long to render somplicated things but think about what kind of hardware we will be housing just a year from now. I tell ya in 3 years it will be common to have a 3 GHz with a Geforce FX and a 1.5 GB RAM in ur comp. Unless its allready old news. So rendering times will come down. Prices of hardware drop faster then led in water these days !
Old 19-03-2003, 12:00 AM   #34
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Well in three years I think the average user will have more than 3 GHz, but maybe that will be the norm for render farm units. I've noticed that the proc speed of render farm machines is always pretty far behind that of what's new. Could it be a stability issue? Maybe they want to use older technology because it is easier to make work to its full potential without becoming unstable? What do you think?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 19-03-2003, 01:46 AM   #35
lockdown2000

I have to agree with Zytrex, in that 3 yrs. computer will be well over 3ghz. I am predicting like at LEAST a 7ghz computer will be like MEDIUM end at that time. But the thing is technology isnt really advancing any, yeah we have made computers faster etc, but we havnt made any "leaps" I guess I am thinking along the lines of the 386. Like then came 16bit graphic and then 32bit and AGP cards that was a LEAP and revolutionized computers, all we have done since is upgrade and fine tune THOSE advancments, I personally believe that it will take like another 10 yrs until we see another MAJOR leap in technology, maybe with the research being done with Mircro-bio-technology, and making computer and robots etc actually figure things out themselves and be semi-organic "beings" yeah sounds far-fetched but i belive that until like that kind of stuff happens technology itself really isnt doing much in the ways of advancment per say.

well thats just my view on tech advancment and has nothing to do with GI, but heh, in 3 yrs your really think GI will be used all the time? GI by then will be like STANDARD max lights now, and maybe something like RL (Reality Lighting (made it up myself ) ) will be the GI of its day.

cheers all.
lockdown2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2003, 02:20 AM   #36
ronrn
zzzzzzz.....

seems I read somewhere, in PC mag I think, about the develpement and future release of 64 bit chips.
ronrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2003, 03:18 AM   #37
lockdown2000

well ya see, like I was saying not A "leap" now is it? just more tweaking to what we got

*drools* 64 bittttt......mmmmmmm
Old 19-03-2003, 07:57 AM   #38
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Well I cannot wait until the day that Atom Smasher 3D is released. AS3D works on the basic of molecular construction. Let's say you want to build a pool. Well what is a pool? A concrete depression filled with water and chlorine right? What if it is a saline cleaning system? Well what goes into all that?
Water, Salt, Chlorine.

Hydrogen (H), in its own group with an atomic weight of 1.00794 (7).
Oxygen (O), in the group Chalcogen with an atomic weight of 15.9994 (3).
Sodium (Na), in the group Alkali metal with an atomic weight of 22.989770 (2).
Chlorine (Cl), in the group Halogen with an atomic weight of 35.453 (2).

Put those and other figures together and you have pool water. So how does light react with this? Well photons will take the shortest path to escape the water, causing the optical illusion that one sees when putting objects into water. What else? Well the further from perpendicular the view of the water gets, the more reflective it is. These and more are properties of water that are the result of its molecular make up. That is how AS3D gets its results. No more faking everything. This is as physically correct it gets.

When is AS3D coming out, you ask? Well, considering I just made it up and I'm not a very good programmer... probably a really long time. Sorry!

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 19-03-2003, 04:29 PM   #39
Kit

Send a message via ICQ to Kit
Also, considering the amount of atoms inside a pool, and the amount of bounces that light rays would do between ALL those atoms, you would probably need some kind of processor that escapes the rules of realativity, by having information move at speeds a couple of gazillion times the speed of light.
But I suppose you also have that one planned, hu Zytrex?
Old 19-03-2003, 11:51 PM   #40
lockdown2000

of course he does
Old 20-03-2003, 08:50 AM   #41
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Well DER! What do you guys take me for!?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 20-03-2003, 09:08 PM   #42
lockdown2000

a fool joking
Old 21-03-2003, 09:45 AM   #43
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
So you would share your bed AND your fortune, with a beautiful fool?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 26-03-2003, 05:13 AM   #44
tradedaemon

Coming Hardware

Theres this company thats suppost to becoming out with a graphics card that works like a hive and Its' suppost to be ten times faster than what we have now. I say it in a Playstation Mag, and they said it would be in PS3, which would be like 2005 or osmething. Anyway, you could get the chip for the computer and then the playstion and hook the ps3 to the computer and GI waiting times will drop drastically.

Do any of you know any good beginner tutorials for lighting?
Old 28-03-2003, 07:04 PM   #45
Incitatus
Murdoch? That crazy fool!

'Like a hive' what in the world does that mean?

btw I think any technology would pass first through the PC and then end up in a console (eeewww... consoles )

Liv

www.lastgreatwar.net
Incitatus is offline   Reply With Quote