>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Matte Painting

Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
atulkatdare

Send a message via Yahoo to atulkatdare
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BIG3k View Post
You did a good job with assembling all those references with fitting light conditions and perspective. Still needs a lot of color correction tough. And as I mentioned before I think your image is much too crowded now, there is just so much stuff in there and no spot for the eye to settle.
I'd suggest to get rid of some structures or scale them down and put them more in the background, keeping in mind the composition. Then do the color correction stuff and try to introduce a consistent mood.

Good luck.
thanks a lot frnd, ur advice is really very helpful...
im planning to add more forest elements in foreground. some more trees, bushes & plants might give it a look of a dark forest. also, i'LL try to scale down sum structures widout harming the composition. i"ll post my update soon...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
yaRa

ok ))))

My view:

1) Plants in right and left side of picture have different DOF. Try to find next time refferences with the same focal distsnce and same grain effect (the same quality).
The same suggestion for buildings ) Some of them looks further then they are, because of blur=focal distance
2) The composition is going to pieces. You can manage it, if you arrange it by accents.
The left building (with sadhu) could be major part.
You can do accents with the lite (brightness\contrsst). In example I picked out this building with a litlle square of grass on new layer, then I made it brighter. And another part (without this building) I filled with radial dark gradient.
You can do it by other way - to make it more natural )))

3) You should work with colours too... Left part is cold, right - is warm now.

In general you have interesting work! Perspective is good ) And I like roots everywhere!

))))
Attached Images

Last edited by yaRa; 04-05-2010 at 02:13 PM..
yaRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #18
tjerkotten
Knowledge must be free

Send a message via MSN to tjerkotten
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: won the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: my artwork won in the speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
Hi atluka,

You asked me for my help and i will help you with my vision.

I will sum up the things that are not going to work and some things that are great and that you should keep.

The aspect ratio is wrong. The picture is much too wide. Therefor the eye is looking everwhere and you have no idea what is going on in the picture.

In a good matte painting there is always a focal point. A milestone inside the picture. Something the eye keeps going to because it gets your attention everytime. Because you have so much main focal points it doesn't work. You have alot of great impressive trees. Different great ruin structures. Its not fitting together.

My advice would be to cut the picture in half. The left side is not important. You should remove the guy that is sitting in the middle. Keep the monkey's on the right. They are great. They create the jungle feel. If you want a character in your piece you should use him to create somewhat of a story in your piece. You could put a sliout of a person inside the building, like a gravedigger or a treasure hunter. The lighting should be more dramatic and the colouring in general could use more depth.

usually i show the idea's with an actual quick concept to show how it would help the picture. Here it is. Hope you understand what im trying to say here...

Last edited by tjerkotten; 04-05-2010 at 02:08 PM..
tjerkotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
atulkatdare

Send a message via Yahoo to atulkatdare
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
@yaRa & tjerkotten...

thnx a lot frndz, i appreciate ur help & thank u for all the efforts u took to improve my matte. ur comments n suggestions are very helpful. i wish to get ur advice on all my upcuming projects. thnx.
Old 23-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #20
andrewhall1234
Andrew Hall

HI Atulkatdare,

I'd be happy to give a few suggestions, but i'm not half as knowledgable than you guys.
I think Tjerkotten covered most of it. I didn't like the second building from the left, it looked desaturated and out of place, as said before it was too wide also. If you take on some of the other advice from tjerkotten and some others, i'm sure it'll look amazing.

Good luck