>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 25-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Palidoozy

DWIII - 3D - Palidoozy - Halshin the White

Hey! This will be my first entry in DW, and my first post on 3dtotal. I'm really interested in entering for practice and for fun. Hopefully I can make some good stuff for the team!

Name: Halshin the White
Race: Human
Class: Stalker
Element: Light/Holy
Main Weapon: Meteor Hammer

Concept: Seeing as I generally lean towards drawing paladins, beefy people and chicks, I wanted to steer clear of clericons and warlords. I decided that I wanted to try to make an assassin/rogue-esque type of character that hid himself in light rather than in the shadows. I figured his setting would be a desert-ish environment. I may change his weapon (the meteor hammer), but for now it's the first thing that popped into mind for "odd assassin weapon." Furthermore, I figured he won't really be using magic all too much but would rather rely on odd chemicals and such that he found out in the desert. It's even possible that he could have magic potential... just not the real knowledge on how to use it.

Some thumbs:

The scribble in the lower right is the closest to his final design. After watching some Chinese weapon videos, I figured it might add a cool element if he had cloth sort of wrapped around his more skintight suit, so if need be he could unravel it and throw it at an enemy to disarm/distract them. I may or may not keep the headgear, but I was happy with it. I wanted to avoid the standard hood assassin fare solely because 1) it's pretty typical and 2) white-hooded assassin screams "Assassin's Creed."

More tomorrow!
Palidoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
Palidoozy

Decided on a final design. I still have a lot to think about, but while thinking on the subject I did manage to get some form of concept art.

Things I still need to work on:
-Colors! Definately colors
-Working up some of the detail on his clothing. I'm thinking of putting the 3Dtotal symbol on his bracers.
-Due to the fact that I wanted to show his face, he doesn't technically has his mask on.
-I really need to design his weapon. That's next, probably.

More later!

EDIT: Also forgot: this was some quick concept doodling for his face, when I was trying to think of what type of character he'd be:

I decided to go with the head in the upper right corner, the one with the bunches of checkmarks.

Last edited by Palidoozy; 26-02-2008 at 01:56 AM..
Old 26-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Palidoozy

Went ahead and did some color comps to try to figure out what's this guy's palette:

I think the one I'm going to go with is the bottom row, middle. I wanted to make his clothing some sort of white or off-white, as I want him to be a holy assassin who hides in light. I first messed around with making him a bit darker, then decided that didn't look right. Really, it was a tough choice--there's a sort of blue-white and a cream-white, and I tried to play around with both of them. I'm thinking cream-white is better for him, as it feels more desert-y and less glacier-y and it also feels like it deals more with Light as an element.

I gave him the red backings on his sleeves as I figured 1) I always liked the red-and-white combination ever since studying the Knights Templar, and 2) practically, it would be pretty distracting to have bright red clothing flailing in your face. I figure he keeps it tucked up most of the time, only letting it fall when he's in a jam.

I will probably end up making the 3Dtotal logo bigger. Right now it's on the bracers of his hand, and it's pretty hard to see.

Whee sorry I talk too much!
Old 26-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Palidoozy

Quick finished color compy of Halshin:

Things to still do before modeling:
-Develop his artifact weapon/meteor hammer
-Nail down all those handy doo-dads he has (being an assassin and whatnot)
-Decide what sorts of magic he can use
-Give him a cool backstory/why he'd be fighting these machines/how he found his artifact.
Old 26-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
you got yourself a nice style there.

Question, will he have any other weapons?

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
yeahm very cool style. disney meets penny arcade sort of feel to it. looks great. i like the idea of a desert assasin. nice break from the ninja-like assasins you generally see.

and yeah, will he have any other weapons? assasins need knives to plunge into someones back.
Old 26-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Mr.T
lost souvlaki..

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 1
Great stylish character you did there!!
Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Palidoozy

Thanks folks.

To answer your questions,
BiG ToE - 3DT -- I'm still considering having other weapons on him, although the only thing I worry about is drawing attention away from his artifact weapon. One thing I was considering rather than a meteor hammer as his artifact weapon was a sort of glove that could harness little "light spears."
Tank[NL] -- Thank you! Haha, you're right, assassins do need to plunge knives into people's back. I'll try to do more research on weapons to develop his, and any others he might have.
Mr. T -- Thank you.

Being an assassin, he probably should have other little trinkets and doo-dads to help him escape, as magic is probably a new thing to him. I'll probably check out Tenchu for reference.
Old 26-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Rych
Master swordsman

Send a message via AIM to Rych
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
As an assasin too you might want to watch his colors too, nothing to showy you know, they gotta sneak! So far looking good I am liking it! Great feel to the sketches too so much action and life!!

Baron
Old 26-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Palidoozy

I actually want him to be pretty brightly colored/close to white. I figure his environment is in a desert-ish place, with plenty of sunlight. Probably in his arsenal will be things that produce a lot of light (flashbombs and other lights), too. I'm still trying to get the kinks out.

Thank you though! Glad to know he's lively. Now putting it in 3D is the hard part.
Old 26-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
Stephan_R
Make Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Stephan_R Send a message via AIM to Stephan_R Send a message via MSN to Stephan_R Send a message via Yahoo to Stephan_R
Keep in mind, he is an assassin of the types of brutes and creatures other people are making. Can he hold up against them? I think you have a very solid line work going and well put together character.

DWIII
Stephan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
katana

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
mmmm...style...
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #13
Palidoozy

Stephan_R - You have an excellent point! I didn't think of that. I'll have to brainstorm a little more, whether or not I want to incorporate "how he'll kill other people's characters" in his arsenal or further in his design. He'll also probably need to ghetto-rig something to fight against the machines and the like, although that may have to deal moreso with his artifact weapon.

I'll have to study the opposing forces a bit. Recon work.
Old 27-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #14
Palidoozy

I began doing some studies on what I wanted for his artifact. I wanted to go with the meteor hammer or rope-dart, a difficult and highly specialized Chinese weapon. Really, because it looks cool and because I doubt anyone else is using one.

References for a meteor hammer:

One in use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hOL8juiy1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZMM0ESgXrA

I wanted to make the "hammer" part the orb of glowing light, so I played around with the end of the meteor hammer. I'm not sure if I really want to do anything special with the rope or not, although I have an idea for a story of how he got the artifact in the first place:

The ones with check-marks are the ones I like the most. I'm thinking that instead of incorperating the 3dtotal design on his outfit (an outfit shared by other assassins in his little group), it might be better to incorperate it into the artifact weapon.