>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Modelling, Lighting & Rendering Help

Old 27-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
mitsu50

Vray Matte Problem

Hi all,

I am playing around with HDRI and a floor as a matte object to integrate CG into real photos. I'm having trouble with the image attached. When i have the plane set to matte, and visible in reflections turned off i get the invisible floor with shadows like u see, but the shadows in the reflections are gone. if i turn on visible in reflections i get the shadows, but i see the gray floor in the reflections as well. Thoughts? Thanks in advance
Attached Images

mitsu50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Tuk

Well i'm not sure about the exact settings, but i remember a similar problem that i think i solved by letting the matte material affecting the opacity/transparancy of the object and rendering the whole thing with a plain black bg (make sure to save the render in a format that supports alpha channel).
Later, add the photo background in post such as photoshop...
Tuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
mitsu50

i dont follow really. can u explain a bit further? thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
mitsu50

anybody have any ideas?? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
anima3d
teh nabcake

Send a message via Yahoo to anima3d
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 38 ''triped'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 52 ''It's our birthday'' 
Total Awards: 5
right click on the plane > vray properties

set matte to -1.

In the same panel you will find all the options that your object want to receive or not, like shadows , reflections, global illumination or caustics.

i hope this helps
Old 02-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
mitsu50

i've tried adjusting every setting available, nothing works. Even un-installed and re-installed everything, nothing...Someone suggested rendering separate passes and assemble in photoshop. that is not working either. probably cause i'm not sure how to do it properly.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
anima3d
teh nabcake

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 38 ''triped'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge week 52 ''It's our birthday'' 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsu50 View Post
i've tried adjusting every setting available, nothing works. Even un-installed and re-installed everything, nothing...Someone suggested rendering separate passes and assemble in photoshop. that is not working either. probably cause i'm not sure how to do it properly.
Ok heres what i used to do

1. Select your plane > right click > Vray properties

2. Check Matte object, set Alpha contribution to -1, check shadows & Affect alpha.

3. Render n; you should get something like this.

4. Check on your render frame window your alpha channel. I guess thats what you want.

5. Save your frame as PNG and make sure to check Alpha channel.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
anima3d
teh nabcake

Awards Showcase
6. Open with Photoshop and there you go

7. Use a backround layer to check that theres all informations you want.

ps. You dont have to use Shadow/matte material on your plane. This way works with all materials.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
anima3d
teh nabcake

Awards Showcase
Now.. about the reflections.

With a simple vray light in the scene you get something like the image below.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
anima3d
teh nabcake

Awards Showcase
If you uncheck visible in reflactions theres no shadows on the reflection and thats wrong.

The only way to fix that is to use a similiar texture on your plane like the one in your scene It gonna be visible only in your reflections and you dont lose the shadows. Thats the only way i think so but if theres another one i would like to know too.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
Arbel

Hi

I use this material for first time and I have some problem with background.
Plane on which I put the material is invisible but background is dark.

Below I send settings of this material and final render.

Thanks
Arbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
Arbel

Hi

I use this material for first time and I have some problem with background.
Plane on which I put the material is invisible but background is dark.

Below I send settings of this material and final render.

Thanks for help!
Arbel is offline   Reply With Quote