>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 24-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #61
AimBiZ

I think I've figured it out. I put my "glowmap" in incadecence(I think I spelled it wrong there:P) and here's what I got out of it.

BTW: Does 3DTOTAL have an official honour pose?

AimBiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 06:07 AM   #62
ThatDon
iCreate

Send a message via AIM to ThatDon Send a message via MSN to ThatDon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Wolverine was linked from the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 2
Yeah we do, refer to big toes thread.
ThatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #63
AimBiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDon
Yeah we do, refer to big toes thread.
Which one of them?
Old 05-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #64
AimBiZ

Was a while since any updates came from me so here ya go. Been doing some detailwork for the texture. Have the head and gear left for detailing cuz they really need it, specially the backpack.

Crits are more appreciated than ever!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #65
AimBiZ

So, whataya think?

Any opinions is very valuable since time's running closer and closer to deadline.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #66
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
for your winning pose, you can do whatever you like. If you want, take a look at the dom war site, then look at the entry's from last year.

You can go crazy with the pedestal as well, or you can keep it simple.

I will say this, start doing some test renders that fit the requirements for the final renders. The deminsions can change up a pose you may have in mind.

Dimensions: 800w x 900h pixels - 200k file size

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day

Last edited by BiG ToE-3DT; 06-03-2007 at 12:29 AM..
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:16 AM   #67
AimBiZ

I'm playing around with different poses for the moment. Right now I would like critics on the texture.

Thanks for the advice on the renders though. I'll have to make bump+specularity soon so everything won't look all flat as it is now. But next time I make a model like this I'll make a highres first, seems more creative that way.

Last edited by AimBiZ; 07-03-2007 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: Regretted last expression.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #68
AimBiZ

Textures done, started to model the stand. It's getting close to deadline and I'm still wondering if I should use bumpmapping or not. Tried it before but I discovered the way my textures are built up are quite hard to make any good bumpmapping of without it looking like a rock rather than metal. Though some details made the model look better but some parts didn't turn out good at all.

Tried specular too but I couldn't notice much difference. Maybe I put it in the wrong place? Bump isn't really that important but I would love to see some shining on the model like HDR. Do I make that with a specular? And what is you view of bumpmapping. Do you think it would do my entry much better?

One way or another, hope you enjoy the pics.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 AM   #69
ThatDon
iCreate

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Wolverine was linked from the frontpage! 
I would consider toning down your stand, as it is now I don't know if I should be looking at the stand or the character
Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #70
AimBiZ

I want you to look at both. :P
Old 12-03-2007, 05:48 AM   #71
ThatDon
iCreate

Awards Showcase
You're missing the point, the character IS the subject of this piece and it shouldn't be fighting for attention...especially from something it's standing on lol

The reason I bring this up is that you might get docked points when it comes time for the judging.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #72
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
I think you will be fine, infact, when I first saw the render, I looked right at the model, not the base.

Not sure if your done or not, but I would texture the base or at least give it a more nuetral color.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #73
AimBiZ

Yes, I will texture the base with concrete etc. so it will have a more neutral look. As I was going to say to ThatDon the texture is light gray for the moment whic I noticed get a lot of color from the light. If I would render the character with the same gray it would look the same as the base.

I'm going to look around for some good pics on google or perhaps take some own with my cellphone, if I can get the quality good enough.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #74
gridlinked
Unknown Robot

Send a message via MSN to gridlinked
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 1
Great work Aimbiz, you definitely fulfilled the potencial of the concept! That stand looks good as well, personally it didn't distract me from the character, but maybe thats because its unextured atm. I do see what everybody has been warning u about, its hard to say if it would steal part of the focus, only by seeing it actually textured, i guess.

As for textures, http://www.cgtextures.com is always a classic!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #75
AimBiZ

Thank you for the kind words and thaks for that link, I'll check it out!