>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The Concept Art Challenge

Old 29-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
Total Awards: 4
CLP-Fan Art-Uncharted 3: Talbot

Well it's been quite some time since i've been on here but this challenge is pretty enticing. The only problem is there's so many characters to choose from!

At the moment I'm torn between doing something from Metal Gear Solid series like Ocelot or an Uncharted character like Talbot from 3. So i guess this is just a placeholder whilst i decide who to draw!

Last edited by CLP; 20-04-2012 at 07:32 PM..
CLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
Well I got sidetracked for a while but I've done some sketches and kinda settled on the idea of a card game between the main guys. Talbot doesn't exactly look like the one in the game yet lol. Hopefully he'll grow into it as I develop the pic. Might change it a little to make it more light-hearted.
Attached Images

Old 22-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
CLP

Awards Showcase
So yeah, a cleaned up update here. Still not quite happy with Talbot's face and I think I'm gonna add extra detail to the background and stuff. Probably do the construction layout thing after I sort out this thing a bit more
Attached Images

Old 23-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
CLP

Awards Showcase
Just an update on the pic.
Attached Images

Old 24-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
I like the addition of that character in the background. It suddenly made the card game a lot more interesting. I also like the way you have worked on the clothes, both in texture and in shading. It's looking very good.
ignacio197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 2
japp, this is a cool picture! It could easily be a screenshot of cel shaded game like XIII! I also like Talbot's facial expression...kind of cunning...I think that he's going to win this game
mwrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
CLP

Awards Showcase
Forgot to upload my WIPS from today til now. Added some more detail into the background. Not a vast amount left to do on this piece I think, but its the kind of stuff that will make it a more interesting piece. Also figured out why my last WIP uploads look so shoddy in terms of image quality! I forgot about the upload size limit and it auto cut my images to something tiny lol
Attached Images

Old 25-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
Total Awards: 1
Love how this is looking so far CLP!

The background you added is really great, but maybe itís competing too much for attention with the characters? I wonder if it would look better if you darkened or put a slight blur on the background:o
agoliversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
CLP

Awards Showcase
@agoliversen Haha, thanks. I'd thought about darkening the scene a little to make it more like a dodgy poker game but I'd forgotten about doing a little bit of blurring so for this WIP it's got both. I think it's pretty finished now. I threw a couple of 20s into the pot too ;p So unless i spot something missing, or someone else does I'll probably leave it here.

Also uploaded the construction sheet. Looks more like a mugshot

@mwrede, Drake has 3 jacks. I don't know if Talbot's got a better hand!
Attached Images

Old 26-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
The last changes you made work well and the painting looks finished to me. Good job, it looks awesome^^

I like really dark and moody pictures, so I wouldíve liked to see the dark version you mentioned. But thatís just a personal preference and it already looks great as it is.
agoliversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
terry1337

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
2 be honest i like the grimmy mood of your second post more but i gues thats me nice shading you got there btw :P wana make a making of how you shade?
terry1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
CLP

Awards Showcase
Thanks guys! I've submitted to the final entries thread in case I forget to later lol.

@terry1337 yeah my original plan was to just go a more realistic route that would have probably turned out a little more grimy but when I started to paint in the characters it turned a little more cel-shaded.

You wanna see how I do the shading? I've not made a 'making of before' lol. Might hava go
Old 27-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 2
@CLP: yes, a tutorial would be awesome! I'm especially interested in how you rendered this fantastic wrinkles! I really have to improve this.

the final one rocks!
mwrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
I like your final image. I like the shading as well. The background turned out very good and it goes very well with the card game, it sets a very good atmosphere.

Good luck!
ignacio197 is offline   Reply With Quote