>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The Concept Art Challenge

Old 20-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
Total Awards: 1
agoliversen - Fan Art - Grim Fandango

Hi everyone!

I'm going to do Manny and Meche from the PC game Grim Fandango
agoliversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
I've gathered some screenshots from the game to use as reference. There's also a skull in there that I'll use for anatomical reference.

Name:  Grim_Ref.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  143.0 KB

Here's some quick thumbnail sketches I made to start things off; In the first two I placed Manny in the background, but I felt he looked too much like a bad guy in these. He's definitely an antihero, but not a villain.

I've decided to do something more like the third thumb, but I'll probably make some changes along the way as I'm not too happy with the composition.

Name:  Grim_Thumbnails.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  58.8 KB
Old 20-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Here's a sketch with some tones thrown in based on the third thumbnail in my previous post.

Name:  Grim_Sketch01.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  96.2 KB
Old 21-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 2
never played the game but I love creepy characters like these...remind me of creatures of the grandmaster of dark puppets Mr. Tim Burton!

I'm excited to see the final version!

cheers
mwrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
mwrede: It's a brilliant game! There were actually rumours that Tim Burton was going to adapt the story from the game into a stop motion feature (Which would have been awesome), but it never happened:/

Just finished the construction layout of Manny:

Name:  Manny360Head.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  188.7 KB
Old 24-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Started working on the colours and rendering of the picture:

Name:  Grim_Sketch02.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  128.7 KB
Old 24-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Total Awards: 4
Good job with the skull so far. It has some character already. The background is looking promising as well. I like the colour scheme you have chosen.
ignacio197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
@ago: really cool pics here! The construction sheet is very clean...ready for modelling, if you ask me! The picture looks really good...did you use any skull textures? It looks quite real to me...if not: good eye on colouring+details!

Hmm, I'm curious now! Perhaps, I'm trying to get an old version of fandango for PC...Furthermore, I hope that Mr. Burton is going to realize a movie with Manny eventually
Old 25-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Ignacio: Thank you:)

mwrewde: I hadnít started using textures in the previous post, but Iíve added some dripping paint textures in the update below.

Have you tried any of the old LucasArts games like Full Throttle and the Monkey Island series? The gameplay is similar in Grim Fandango, but I think it has the best story. It's worth giving a try if you can find it;)

Name:  Grim_Sketch03.jpg
Views: 2339
Size:  155.4 KB
Old 26-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
CLP

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge the Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art 
I've never played Grim Fandango but I like your painting!
Old 27-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
mwrede

Awards Showcase
@ago: nice progress! I'm so excited to see the final pic! What about adding some more raindrops on Manny's cap to integrate him more into this heavy raining?

I used to play Indiana Jones (11? floppy disks on a amiga 1000) when I was much younger I love point&click stuff like maniac mansion etc. Certainly I'll keep my eyes open for this game

Last edited by mwrede; 27-04-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Greatmwrede! Thank you:
agoliversen (27-04-2012)
Old 27-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
CLP: Thanks, I'm glad you like it:)

mwrede: I've been working on the rain effect today, but it still needs some more work - specially on how it affects Manny, like you said.

I hope you can find a copy Grim Fandango, if you like those other point & click adventure games I think you'll enjoy this one too^^

Name:  Grim_Sketch04.jpg
Views: 5152
Size:  188.7 KB
Old 28-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
agoliversen

Awards Showcase
Here's how it looking at the moment, hoping to do a few final adjustments tomorrow before posting in the final entry thread:o

Name:  Grim_Sketch05.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  58.3 KB
Old 29-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
mwrede

Awards Showcase
wow, THIS is bad weather! I guess it's not that uncomfortable for Manny though your pic has truly been gone through a nice progress

Maybe someone will be inspired to produce a new game with him. Your picture could be used for commercials/wallpaper etc What about adding some text like "Grim Fandango-The return of Manny"?
Greatmwrede! Thank you:
agoliversen (29-04-2012)
Old 29-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
ignacio197
ignacio197

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Zombie Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
That is a lot of rain I like the look of it, but I think I would prefer a version in between both.
ignacio197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatignacio197! Thank you:
agoliversen (29-04-2012)