>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge

Old 02-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #91
TheBat

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place For PMC 26 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place For PMC 27 Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place In PMC #28 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Speed Demons'' 
Total Awards: 4
There you go, my progress so far! Still lots of smoothing errors and some unresolved things from earlier versions.

Started to do some work on the details, mainly the mirrors so far, still needs a lot of work!
Attached Images

TheBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #92
miguelito08
Blender Power

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: 100+ posts Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Winner of a photo modeling challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd place in PMC#34 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place In PMC #31 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the PMC#33 Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #93 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in SMC #88 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC #87 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC#94 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place In SMC #94 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Honorable mention in the SMC #94 
Total Awards: 21
nice return TheBat
miguelito08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #93
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
Looking pretty good. You might want to add a loop on the hood near the headlights for a better result.

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #94
TheBat

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place For PMC 26 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place For PMC 27 Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place In PMC #28 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Speed Demons'' 
Added an extra loop on the front for better smoothing, with much better result. Did the cut in the front-hood of the car, started working on the roof furniture and adjusted some details.

Thanks for your kind comments!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #95
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Much better indeed. What I try to do to simplify topology is to join 3 edge loops together when on a flat surface, like the three loops you have at the bottom of the door. Merge three vertices into one, make a quad out of the two triangles you get, and get rid of the remainder of the loops.

And you still have areas with pinching which you can fix like so (hope you don't mind):
Attached Images

My WIP dump
GreatMcFly! Thank you:
TheBat (04-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #96
bearacuda

Hey guys! Here's some more progress. Saw the deadline was moved back today so I'm adding some more pieces so I can make it look more like miguelito's haha.

bearacuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #97
miguelito08
Blender Power

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: 100+ posts Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Winner of a photo modeling challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd place in PMC#34 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place In PMC #31 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the PMC#33 Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #93 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in SMC #88 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC #87 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC#94 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place In SMC #94 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Honorable mention in the SMC #94 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearacuda View Post
Hey guys! Here's some more progress. Saw the deadline was moved back today so I'm adding some more pieces so I can make it look more like miguelito's haha.
your doing a great job bearacuda
Old 04-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #98
TheBat

Awards Showcase
Thanks again for your paintover McFly, helps to fix some of those nasty smoothing issues and placing good loops.

Did some more work on the hood, added the roof furniture, added some more details in the front and fixed some smoothing issues, though there's some more to go. Next up is correcting more smoothin errors, adding the wheels, adding some more loose details and then some more work at the back. I hope i have enough time to do all those stuff before the deadline.

Thanks for your comments again!
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #99
TheBat

Awards Showcase
Looking bearacuda!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #100
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Bearacuda > good stuff! There are some weird reflections by the screws. You might want to add a loop around the screw to minimize stretching there.

TheBat > nice update. I went ahead and made another paintover. Tell me if I should stop!

I also feel doors are not cut out at the top. Can you post a screenshot with doors open?

The mesh issue near the headlights could probably be sorted with another loop running across the hood.

Note also the holes where vents go near the front fender are not symmetrical (check references).

Keep at it man! 3 days left!
Attached Images

My WIP dump
Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #101
bearacuda

McFly, thanks for the crit! which screws do you mean? Could it be the picture that the metal is reflecting causing the weird look?
bearacuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #102
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Bearacuda > you haven't posted wireframe views yet so I can't tell for sure but here are where the problems are.
On the left image, it could be due to the map you're using but on the right image, it does look like polygons being too stretched. In red is the "flow" of bad reflections.

Could you post a wireframe pls?
Attached Images

My WIP dump
Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #103
TheBat

Awards Showcase
Hey!

Slowly working my way through the smoothing errors, though sometimes having a hard time converting those triangles into quads since i don't really know the best way to approach this.

"Merge three vertices into one, make a quad out of the two triangles you get, and get rid of the remainder of the loops." This is what puzzled me a bit , any particular place for a more distinct / elaborate explanation?

I already figured out quite a lot along the way of improving a lot of things for the next time.

Thanks a lot for your paintovers McFly, i really appreciate it and already have taken a lot from it.

Here's my progress, with the doors opened this time.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #104
TheBat

Awards Showcase
So just before the deadline, here's my final model for this challenge. Could use a lot more details but in the end i'm kinda happy with how everything turned out! Relearned a lot of the methodologies and it was a good practice in general. Will do some more work on the car to make it end up as a nice render.

Thanks McFly for your tips and tricks, they were really useful.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #105
miguelito08
Blender Power

Awards Showcase
TheBat achieving the goal !!!