>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 19-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
silverflame

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: game art Weapon Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in smc 55 - On your marks Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #76 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in smc 52 - take a closer look Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 17
yeh the pads make sense since it will help me sort the back out aswell, i also added some tattoos for now, the final ones would be different to suit the model better these are just some pasted over to achieve the look for now. not sure about the glowing ones though cos it seems like it would get too busy around the shoulders.
Attached Images

Portfolio Website

Coroflot Profile
silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #17
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Really like those weapon designs; nice to see you go with the ones that use the 3DTotal logo Are you gonna incorporate the logo into the armor design? And with the tattoos, I don't man. I too was actually thinking about making the tats on my guy glow, but I figured against it. I think it would be a cool thing to do were these guys animated; like, in a real battle, they'd glow when pissed off or something. But for now, I'm going with straight black magic tats. I wanna know what you're leaning towards though.

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #18
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
I'm not sold on the glowing tat's either. In theory it can be really cool, but it seems like something that can be tough to pull off. Maybe if you went with the black tattoos, and then outlined them with a thin blue glowing stripe?

I do like the should pads with the back piece tho, looks good.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #19
AzoiC
Sheep Master

really like where this is headed.. nice concept.. but dun really dig the weapon being the 3DT logo though.. apart from its size.. doesn't feel like it could do much damage..
Old 22-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #20
silverflame

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: game art Weapon Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in smc 55 - On your marks Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #76 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in smc 52 - take a closer look Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Ok finally got some freetime and roughed out a torso to take into zbrush, I'll sculpt then retopo to get a better flow overall
Attached Images

Portfolio Website

Coroflot Profile
Old 22-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #21
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
great start sculpting.
Old 23-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #22
silverflame

Awards Showcase
did a bit of sculpting today not much though since i didn't get long to work but made a start. Looking at the concept the head needs to widen a bit and the fat folds and pockets need plumping out aswell as the arm muscles being sorted
Attached Images

Portfolio Website

Coroflot Profile
Old 25-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #23
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Oh hey Silverflame, I accidentally found some reference for glowing tats when I was watching the Clone Wars movie, and snapped a shot of it from my VLC player. You know; for reference since I'm also playing around with tats on my character. Maybe you'll want the reference too?

It's Ziro the Hutt, in case you maybe wanna google him or check out his scene in the film. Hope it's useful to ya!

Old 25-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #24
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Wasn't he a she?
Old 28-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #25
silverflame

Awards Showcase
Oo thanks for the ref image ill have a play with glowy tats after i sort the sculpting etc, since it'll be the texturing section

Here's where I am at atm
Attached Images

Portfolio Website

Coroflot Profile
Old 30-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #26
silverflame

Awards Showcase
Was wondering if anyone can help me I retopo'd my zbrush sculpt, took it into 3ds and unwrapped it making sure to keep the same tri, poly, vertex amounts.
As I understand it i can just open the high poly in zbrush reduce it to the 1st subdiv level and the go to import to bring over the UVs however when i go bk to the high poly its really screwed up

I included screenshots of the sculpt before import then after
Attached Images

Portfolio Website

Coroflot Profile
Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #27
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Whoa! Someone, help him!

Wish I could, but unlike most people here I model low res first and sculpt that. Also, the whole "I use mudbox" thing...

Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #28
silverflame

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsanityV20 View Post
Whoa! Someone, help him!

Wish I could, but unlike most people here I model low res first and sculpt that. Also, the whole "I use mudbox" thing...
Thanks for the support but i didn't get any help here or on the zbrush forum so i started again and not making the same mistakes again But on the bright side I'm almost back at the point i was at before thanks to the uni easter break and a bout of insomnia

Portfolio Website

Coroflot Profile
Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #29
AshtonWoolley
Freelance 3D Generlist

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Winner Of PMC #20 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
ahhh i know your problem.

When you import a mesh back into a 3D program it flips and changes the name of each vertex, so when you go back into Zbrush and try and apply it as the lowest base mesh it does that.

Export from Zbrush again, and then Make sure when you take it into 3Ds (Not sure of what to turn off im a maya user) just make sure all the options are on NO so it doesn't change anything.

Happened to my very fustrating.
AshtonWoolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #30
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Great start so far. The problem your having also happened to me, and I was searching around for hours trying to get a fix. I finally found this thread, and it worked perfectly for me, so you might want to give it a shot.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=47891

this is how you export your mesh to 3d max for uvs and bring it back to zbrush without the mesh exploding

* in zbrush make sure the export settings are set to mrg on and grp off (very important)

* goto your models lowest subdivision and export

* load 3d max and import your model (make sure you select single not multiple objects in the settings, very important), i also unselected the import texture coordinates but dont know if that makes or breaks this process

* do your uvs, a good tutorial for the ideas behind doing this is by eric masowski, search for eric masawski organic modeling in google and you will find it. (make sure you dont move or edit anything other than uvs on your model, as this alters the vertex order)

* now export the model with texture coordinates, use name such as model export 1 so you dont get confused on the next few steps

* now open a new project in 3d max and reset it, then import the exported model you just did (make sure texture coordinates are still on and its single not multiple objects.

* then export it again (same as before), this time name it model export 2

* open zbrush and import the obj you just exported from max

* export it again, again make sure mrg is on grp off

* i then closed zbrush, re opened it, loaded my high def model, turn that down to lowest subdivision (this should be the one you original exported at)

* now import your just exported model from zbrush. this should now work when you go through the division levels. select uv check just to double check its applied your new coordinates. (they should appear in the texture panel on the left, i think no red areas means no overlapping which is what you need.

their you go, sorry for the amount of stages its just i wanted this to be as easy and basic to follow as possible as the last thing you want is for you to spend all day doing the uvs and then it still not work.

i dont take any credit for this, this was just a mix of two other peoples methods mixed and a bit of trial and error.

This has worked perfect for me, so if I can do it, anybody can lol.