>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #151
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Hehe... looks great! Reminds me a bit of chuck norris and his round house kick... though I know it's not really the kick you showed here.
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #152
Creos 3D
Hunter Killer

Send a message via ICQ to Creos 3D
Looking good, but i think
His boots and hands is a too huge.
I`m also recommend to make reduced version of this body parts.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #153
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
OK, more info on the normal mapping stuff. I didn't realise the importance of some of the things mentioned about seams and baking.

The issues I had in Xnormal are Seam/smoothing group related. If I do it all correctly then the obvious seam goes away. So basically it comes down to this I think:

If there is a seam in the UVW Map, you HAVE TO make it a smoothing group edge on the low poly model. eg. two different groups so its a hard edge.

This method makes for a somewhat lengthier process, but the results are worth it for sure. i will post some examples if I get around to it.

Last edited by discmage; 08-04-2009 at 05:50 PM..
discmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #154
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
A system I am working on refining is as follows:

1) put the Unwrap UVW modifier on the low poly and assign the smoothing groups according to the green lines that come up (the seams).
2) Delete the Unwrap once done and apply a Reset Xform, just to be sure.
3) Collapse the Reset XForm and apply an Edit Mesh modifier (Xnormal SBM export doesn't like Edit Poly)
4) Apply a 'Projection' Modifier (I don't even use Render to texture dialog) and modify your cage as you see fit.
5) Export your low poly mesh with the SBM Exporter that comes with XNormal. Set Export Normals, Export UV, Export Tangent basis, and Export Cage to True. Do Not turn on smooth normals as I believe that gets rid of your smoothing groups.
6) Setup your hipoly and low poly in xnormal. Set the Use Cage check box to true in the LowPoly section.
7) Go to Baking options. i find reducing a 4096x4096 to 2048x2048 map cleans up some of the jaggies so I render at that size with AA on 4x with the background on black. These settings are up to you and what your computer can handle I suppose.
8) take you map into photoshop. I set up a useful action that reduces the image by half, selects all, copies, opens previous file (main file), pastes, selects black (background colour of bake), deletes. THis saves a lot of time! I would probably have the open dialog box at the start and the save as dialog at the end too if I could figure out how to just open the dialog box and not set a default file.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #155
spartan118
Lookn 4 professional work

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Great work discmage, keep it up.

You can help support the project here

CURRENT RIG:
Intel Core i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, ATI RADEON 2GB GDDR5.
spartan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #156
discmage

Awards Showcase
Thanks for all the well wishes and whatnot

here is my latest. been working 2 days on these damn boots trying to sort out seams and smoothing groups and all that. I try with smooth groups, without, a mix, with cage, without cage...you name it. I can't seem to figure out any pattern. Sometimes they are really obvious, other times they aren't. Sometimes it looks better when there is no smooth group, while other times it does for a very similar situation! So unfortunately I have to give up for the moment and just keep on going. They aren't THAT obvious but personally, on this project (and all after), I would like something that resembles quality.

If my computer could handle it I would use Render to texture. Then I don't have to worry about ANY of that stuff. But alas my rig is showing its age and seems to forget things. It always says its out of memory. personally I think there is a memory leak or hardware problem, or something is actually wrong...but anyway. When it comes down to it I would still buy these boots if I could I have a lot to go on them of course. This is just a basic colour, Ambient occlusion and a couple of generic texture overlays. I'm going to put in a lot of detail manually. The string tying it all together for example will go in next.

Comments and crits more than welcome! Or more defined tips on how to get rid of those damn seams!!

Last edited by discmage; 09-04-2009 at 06:36 PM..
discmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #157
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
wow discmage, i gotta say you have really nice mapping going on there. whatever your doing keep at it. also i hope your not planning to keep it to just grey color at the end. your normals came out really nice dont kill it with blend grey only shoes.
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #158
discmage

Awards Showcase
haha, of course not! As I said its just a base colour with ambient occlusion and some basic texture overlays. Theres a LOT of colour and effects to go yet. Glad you like it!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 AM   #159
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Very nice lowpoly, looks almost as highply except for the top.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #160
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by discmage View Post
Ladies and gentlemen. In the Blue corner. Weighing in at 9186 polys with the dreads on his head. BrotheeeEERRRRRR FALBERE!!!!!

Hello discmage! just a detail that I have in mind, in the rules it says the maximum is 10 000 tris ... or you are already 9 186 polys, polys knowing that 1 equals 2 tris, it seems to me that you are above the maximum.
The number of polys that we can use is 5 000 (10 000 tris : 2 = 5000 polys);
maybe in your sentence you meant 9 186 tris ...
Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #161
discmage

Awards Showcase
yep, that 9186 TRIS then to me a tri is a poly too...its just a matter of opinion I guess, but its covered. thanks for clearing that up though, I will put tris from now on if need be I think just to clear up any confusion.
Old 13-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #162
discmage

Awards Showcase
OK, here is my latest. Been looking at this main area of normals and found all sorts of ways to come up with pretty much the same results. Editing normals in photoshop is interesting though This is basically a bake and a small amount of tweaking in photoshop. Once I have the whole model baked I will then go over it again for another normal pass in photoshop to clean it up some more.

I have found this particular design troublesome for making clean normal maps straight from a bake. Good experience though!

Old 13-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #163
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
great to see your normals coming out really nice! great job
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #164
discmage

Awards Showcase
thanks l3xicon

Here is the latest update. The only map on this is the normal, with default lights and scanline renderer. If I can make this look reasonable then I'll be happy I think.

Hope y'all don't mind me posting so big. Trying to let you all see the details.

Old 14-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #165
discmage

Awards Showcase
here is a turnaround of the low poly so far. Next is the head. I am actually thinking of dropping the material in the front and back...so I either have to think up something else to take up the UVW space, or redo a lot of the mapping again.

Get it here!