>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 20-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #46
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Hehe, I like the idea of a warlord wearing glasses! Great idea!
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #47
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
here is the latest on the gloves mostly. Decided to throw a black silhouette in there to show areas I haven't touched yet. I also did some basic colour zones so I can bake out those when I get to it getting ahead start on the diffuse texture.

Last edited by discmage; 21-03-2009 at 06:58 AM..
discmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #48
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Just playing around with some armour before putting it to poly...

Old 21-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #49
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
whooof! I missed this thread! the style is really unique is very successful
Old 21-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #50
discmage

Awards Showcase
And the legs are pretty much done. The upper legs are mostly cloth, so thats a zbrush thing before that 'looks good'.

I'm really happy with how the belts turned out on the back pack rib brace. To take it off you unstrap them, then fold out the brace (it has a rotating point at the middle) after unlocking the front 'Block' that holds the cloth on the sides. Then you just lift off the back pack like a life jacket.

And the last episode of Battlestar Galactica is AWESOME!!! Man I loved that show. *sheds a tear in rememberance*

Old 21-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #51
discmage

Awards Showcase
Heres a bit of a closeup on the pants and gloves without the cloth at the front.

Did a bit of research for the name. Supposedly Fal-bere means Strong/strength - Gauntlet/fist. So I'm running with that for now.

Last edited by discmage; 21-03-2009 at 04:18 PM..
discmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #52
discmage

Awards Showcase
Updated the image above the closeup (last post). Just a couple of small things before bed like the book, and the low poly cable to test out an idea for optimising the cable and the chains. now they take up less than 2 small units in the max Unwrap UV space. How many polys go into those however will depend on the final count.

Looking forward to seeing this guy in a cool pose actually! And the head, I think the head will really push this guy hopefully, the facial expression should be fun to do. Once again, looks good in my head anyway
Old 22-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #53
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
its looking totally rad so far man, especially loving the big a** boots and the glove detailing. Love the concept itself too, separates itself nicely from a lot of the other entries (which a bunch of are totally awesome, don't get me wrong).

And I am hereby acknowledging thy gauntlet throwing, picking it back up and proceeding to slappeth thee across thine visage with it. The duel is on!

Loving what you've done this far, keep it up
Old 22-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #54
discmage

Awards Showcase
Here are a couple of sketches I did a few days back to get the gloves, boots and backpack down. Although I think I will need to work on the pack more. Didn't post them earlier cos I couldn't be bothered scanning them.

Old 22-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #55
discmage

Awards Showcase
here is where I am heading with the backpack. I'm really happy with the straps over the canisters. I think that should look pretty neat

Old 23-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #56
miycko
Draw Untill It Hurts!

Location: Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
This looks great, you really are getting into the details. i really like the design of the gloves & the cannistars.
Old 23-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #57
roel
newbe

Send a message via AIM to roel
Awards Showcase
Hi Discmage. I love the design of your warrior. Can't wait to see the head! I am wondering, how do you make those chains? Via alphas? For my character I would like to include many ring-and-straps like in your character (knees, shoes and gloves). How do you do that? Do you model it, or via bumps/normals??? thanks!!!
roel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #58
Fixor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
nice design and nice style, mate!!!

DWIV - 3D - Fixor - Eckhart
Fixor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #59
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Like where this is going dude . Make sure you rig it nicely.

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #60
discmage

Awards Showcase
Roel: The chain is a four sided poly with a really tight/close chain rendered to texture on it. It worked out pretty well actually I thought! I'll be keeping that for future low poly stuff.

So far this is all high poly stuff. So the straps and buckles ands all of the detail is simply done using subdivision (see Sathe's tutorial. Its in his signature). I haven't used ANY alphas yet (the chain doesn't need one actually) although I will need on for the canister glass eventually.

Everyone: Thanks for the kind words. I'm liking where this guy is going too! I just really hope it all comes up good at the end and matches the vision in my head...cos thats what I've been running with this WHOLE time rather than coming up with varying silhouettes etc. I have always had this concept in there from the start! HArd to get away from it in fact! I do, however, need to beef up the gloves I think. They don't hold up against the boots. Those are ready to kick some machine/demon butt! *starts singing* 'These boots are made for BUTTWHIPPIN'!!!