>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 24-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #61
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Here is the latest work on the back pack. Trying to get a fair bit of detail in there. Hope the normal map and low poly can pull THIS off!

Old 24-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #62
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
You can do it man!! You got some very nice detail in there. Got a very nice vibe to the whole model so far, well done.
Old 24-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #63
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
looking good dude, the amount you've gotten done already makes me feel like I'm runnin' out of time I especially like the straps over the canisters, don't know exactly why but I'm loving them. Only thing I'm missing are some more grooves and nuts&bolts on the metal parts, making it not look as "cushiony"/plastic-like, but that might be something you want to do through the texture.

keep up the good work
Old 24-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #64
Agent-X

Send a message via AIM to Agent-X Send a message via MSN to Agent-X Send a message via Yahoo to Agent-X
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Cool. Looking good man. Keep up the good work.
Old 24-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #65
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
spoiLars: Yeah, as noted...I think...the pack is still very much under construction. I COULD do the bolts in photoshop...but I'm liking the feel of seeing it all in 3D. Got anything in mind for these 'grrooves' you speak of though??

SR - 1234 : I think we will ahve to find out the hard way on that...I do intend on lots of trial and error to maek sure I get the most out of every poly possible! Goign to try a more 'blanket' approach first...cos Epic told me to (I have their character modeling book from d'artiste series).

Agent-X: Cheers for that
Old 24-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #66
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Great dude!
Make sure the add-ons on the canisters look like they are a part of the metal. Not separate items

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #67
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
with my super vague "grooves" comment I meant doing things like breaking up the different parts, especially the smooth, open surfaces, into smaller panels that are put together to form one major shape. that also provides you with great and logical points to put smaller details like the bolts and so on. Makes things look more like they were actually constructed. Makes sure your metal parts don't look like they were just pulled from a bunch of molds custom-made for that particular piece of equipment. (the last of which is not a problem your character has atm as you have some great detail going on, but might be something to keep in mind for any eventual additional equipment you might decide to add)

I agree on doing the bolts in 3D, will certainly look better in the end. Will look better in the normal map as well.
Old 25-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #68
discmage

Awards Showcase
Hulahuga: what do you mean part of and not seperate? Things like pipes and whatnot WOULD be seperate wouldn't they??

spoiLars: I agree, I think I have to go the whole hog on this 3D version and really push myself. Crappy plate junk cylinders it is would also suit the style too. I think I have to push the put together look a bit more...
Old 25-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #69
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
I think spoiLars was into what i meant there for a while. Right now the addons to the canisters seem glued on instead of a part of the metal. Work on those transitions a bit

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #70
discmage

Awards Showcase
OK, latest additions to the backpack. Its looking pretty busy atm but I think with some colour that will sort itself out. I dunno if this has improved what you guys are saying about the 'stuck on' stuff. I tried to make a few more parts added on by bits of metal and rivets...lots of rivets!

Any improvement ideas are more than welcome as this part is pretty much the most important apart from the head.

next I have to work on the canisters. And after that I will get back to the gloves and make the wrist area wider so they look more beefy.

THEN i have to look at the arms and the head. At the moment I am thinking of actually having bare arms, really muscly, with a huge Tattoo of some sort. Otherwise I think there will be too much armour and not enough 'natural' to balance out the head...what do you think?

Old 26-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #71
discmage

Awards Showcase
OK, so here's a fun fact! My computer can't handle this scene in max with a 3 light system. It crashes due to out of memory...even though I have 3 Gb...

When I try the /3GB tag in the boot.ini my graphics drivers go to hell.

Fun times! Might have to look into some other options...but thats still annoying!

*edit* Found out this is mainly due to a direct light with shadows. made them omni lights and it seems ok. Weird!

*edit to the edit* Although I can't copy the character across so I can render a front and back in the same shot*

Last edited by discmage; 26-03-2009 at 04:18 PM..
discmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #72
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Just have to use Photoshop to get that front and back view in the same shot The small details with the rivets and bolts are really bringing this together nicely. A definate improvement.
Old 27-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #73
discmage

Awards Showcase
Once again a couple of small changes. The canisters are looked at...but I think I will need to add some more details.

I made the gloves a little wider at the wrist, you can't really tell at this angle though.

Tweaked some colours to get a better idea of if the arms should be skin or not. I don't mind it...dwarves are well known for being pretty tough so bare arms might look pretty good. So I'll probably run with that for now.

Next is the main torso plate area on the backpack. Tossing up whether to make it plated like the shoulder pads or something a little more like the back. Might have to do some comparison sketches again.

After that is the head and the arms. Looking forward to those actually.

Old 27-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #74
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
definitely looks much better now, the extra detail you added helped a lot in both making the surfaces more believable and pulling the details you already had together.

One small thing that just hit me though, just nitpicking here; this dude's got some long a$$ fingers! Having big hands on this kind of character fits nicely, on yours too, but you might want to enlarge the palm area of the glove some as well. Right now, the palm area looks like its close to normal size, while the fingers are clearly elongated. Just a thought
Old 27-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #75
discmage

Awards Showcase
spoiLars: that is indeed a good point...I think I will have to look at the gloves closer than what I was hoping to...but it should be worth it. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm also considering using a toon shader rather than going realistic on this guy...I'm not too worried about the prize as much as it would be cool (and generally the judges always seem to go for the same kind of style, which is fair enough and all...but still)...and personally I would like to perfect 'my style' over running with the 'everyone is the same' thing that seems to be going lately.

Might even try both if I have enough time as it all comes down to the diffuse channel really.