>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 18-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #46
Novian
Mentallic Design

Send a message via AIM to Novian
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 3
Update:

Some progress. Let me know what you all think.

Cheers~
Novian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #47
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
I feel like I'm talking to myself in this thread guys. Ok, well its voting time. Thats right the polls are open. I am assembled the top 3 color combos for your viewing pleasure. So what do you think? Please vote 1, 2, or 3. (top, middle, and bottom).

Colors WIP:

Cheers~
Old 21-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #48
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Tough choice. All three work very well actually. I would probablly go with the bottom one. It incorporates all of the colors, but isn't overly busy.
Old 21-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #49
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
SR: Thanks for your input. So far the votes are split lol.

Cheers~
Old 21-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #50
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
It's never easy is it lol. Guess it's time to flip a coin
Old 21-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #51
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I like the blue ones with the yellow-golden robes.
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #52
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Ok guys here is the latest. The image looks a bit blurred here, not sure why. I will post a higher def one later. For now its just the colors we are interested in anyway. Here is the winning combo.

Cheers~
Old 24-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #53
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Update: Ive been working hard on the cloth texture. Please let me know what you all think so I can improve.

Model WIP:

Cheers~!
Old 25-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #54
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
For Warlock, JUST, and SR I guess. Heres my latest. Cloth is just about done. Working on accessories now:

Model WIP:

Cheers~
Old 25-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #55
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
I like the rune, that should look pretty cool in the end. I'm also liking the clothing, the biits in between the trim, but the trim needs something more yet, black's not quite working on there. I'm thinking the spec may still be a bit too high on the skin yet.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #56
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I agree. Specularity might be setup too high.
I like the robes... the textile-texture looks pretty good!
The armor things on the arms look kind of strange to me. They seem to flow on his skin and I don't really like the intensity of the colour.
Altogether well done. I'm sure it'll look great in the end. Keep it up.
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #57
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Feel like you're talking to yourself? Dude- you're blazin' here! I only check on other people during the weekend, and since last time I checked on you, you're practically done Whaddya expect?

Anyway, progress is looking great. I like the color choices, the de-saturated blues and oranges look great (and look great TOGETHER). Meanwhile, your texturing skill is very painterly - I like it. Though I DO think the trim needs more work; have you considered looking at reference for trim on armour?** Even just hitting it with ...uh, what're they called?...Burn and Dodge in photoshop! - Adding a highlight and shadow to it would help it pop a lot more. Heck, you may even wanna play with the design overall; it looks okay as is, but is very rigid.

The horns might be able to do with a little more texture as well; the look a little mushy from the front.

Also, you said you're working on accessories, so I'm not even sure I should mention this; the gauntlet-ish thing doesn't have a strap. So it's not connecting to the arm in anyway. Not a biggie - you'll probably paint it on the arm anyway. Just pointing it out.

Overall though, awesome design! It's looking really cool; keep it up!

EDIT: **Hmmmmm....finding reference for trim on cloth isn't as easy as I thought. My mind was almost blank, so that never helps. Still, what about patterns more along the lines of something like this?

I always look for video games for reference, and while I realize that tons of fantasy games must have good reference, I somehow only thought about N3: Ninety Nine Nights. Still, I say take a look at some reference and try tackling that trim again!

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 26-04-2009 at 07:38 AM..
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #58
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsanityV20 View Post
Feel like you're talking to yourself? Dude- you're blazin' here! I only check on other people during the weekend, and since last time I checked on you, you're practically done Whaddya expect?

Anyway, progress is looking great. I like the color choices, the de-saturated blues and oranges look great (and look great TOGETHER). Meanwhile, your texturing skill is very painterly - I like

Overall though, awesome design! It's looking really cool; keep it up!
Thanks Vinsanity, I think thats what I needed. Thank you to all who have helped me so much with this (Vis, JUST, SR, Warlock) to name a few. I have uploaded a turntable of my latest progress to my website. It showcases the fire particles I have made for the pedestal along with some basic lighting and the beginnings of the pedsetal map. (although no where near finished). Feel free to check it out at:

www.mentallic.com/DWIV/Tyrian_turn1.avi

Cheers~
Old 27-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #59
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Looking good man. I love the fire effect you have going. It also looks like the pedestal is above water with the lighting effect you have going on underneath. Not sure if that is what you had planned, but it looks pretty cool.

Like the others have said, I think the spec on the body is a bit high, especially in his ab region. Not sure if you've done a spec map or not, and are just using spec level of the material itself. I also think what's missing from the cloth is some type of spec. Right now it is very flat compared to everything else. So up the spec on that, and lower the spec on his body and it's aces
Old 27-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #60
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
His face is missing something, looks quite empty compered to other parts of the body.