>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 13-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
tb1alexc

DWIV - 3D - Tb1alexc - UniScout

Hi folks,

Decided very late on that I'd like to enter the War, so here goes. My concept is a machine -> scout, it's a robot / bike with a saw for a front wheel, and some retractable spider legs to walk on. I'm sure the idea will evolve and change, I've got some concepts but haven't got a scanner so can't upload them at the moment.

Here's my model after 10 mins work: comments and criticism most welcome

Nowhere near some of the awesome entries, but hey, it's a start!

Thanks guys

-Alex

Last edited by tb1alexc; 20-04-2009 at 02:45 PM..
tb1alexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
great idea for the scout robot. a bike would have the speed and power to get into and out of enemy held territory with ease the idea of the legs making it able to cope with more serious terrain adds to the flavour.. good luck!
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
tb1alexc

Thanks buddy! Here's a more substantial update:

Still a lot of things being blocked in etc, and I'm only just past 2k tris at the moment: - 8k more to use up!
Old 14-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
tb1alexc

Had a little more chance to work on this today, I've started refining bits. I'm kind of stuck on what to do with it, so any suggestions, comments or criticisms welcome
Old 14-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Looks and sounds interesting! Keep it up!
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
tb1alexc

Thanks JuST!

And then there were legs...

Old 20-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
tb1alexc

...And then the whole thing changed! As my concept has developed, I've gone for a unicycle design with a small atomic reactor within the wheel, which will power the robot. There will be legs that will fold up, as well as some sort of robotic face, if I can get around to it. What do you guys think?

Old 20-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Interesting idea... though I cannot really imagine what the whole thing might look like. Can't you do a quick sketch or something just to illustrate what you're heading at?
Old 20-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Monocycles are always cool - why not add some serious gorilla sized arms on it, that can curl up a little but also be available to lift it over roadblocks etc?

Maybe the head would be interesting if it was attached at the back but angled up and over the outer frame of the wheel, almost like a mudguard with a light on it.
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
tb1alexc

Thanks for the replies, folks! It's going to be a unicycle now, I have got tonnes of sketches but like I said I can't post them unfortunately, as my scanner isn't working. But here's an updated image, maybe you can see where it's going better now? It's got 2 legs which retract, and a few other things (4 machine guns, a shield for the reactor). Steamtrooper, I like the idea of the head like that! I'll give it a go, see how it turns out. Cheers!

Old 21-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
tb1alexc

Here it is standing up:

About 8.5k tris
Old 21-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Very cool. I like the uni-wheel better than the original. It looks very fast, which is a good thing for a scout.
Old 21-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I agree, the unicycle seems much more interesting and agile
Old 21-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #14
JuST

Awards Showcase
Ah, I see. Pretty interesting idea!
Old 24-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
tb1alexc

Mental note:- never make a one-wheeled nuclear powered gyroscope robot with machine guns and mechanical legs. This thing is hell to unwrap!

Thanks for the comments guys