>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 25-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #166
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Send a message via ICQ to Zlatovous Send a message via MSN to Zlatovous
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here 
Total Awards: 7
I am referring to one article dedicated to optimisation. There were few pictures of caping the cylinder and showing how the GPU computes every face (or something in that way). If it is your article, than thank you very much, since it opened my eyes and helped me a lot with optimising my mesh :-)
Old 25-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #167
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Argh! Post that link already!
Old 25-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #168
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
thank you guys for your comments and feedback. Im not gonna lie, i got a little sloppy on this prop, so im slowly fixing things. I actually have some pieces that i have no clue what happened to them so i may have rebuild them again.

Thanx buzzy for point out the exhaust pipe deal..how embarrasing! lol.

The thing with the canister is that i chose do it that way so i could push in the center point inwards to help the depth for the normal map. Some may argue that is not that big of a deal, but i think it is. Otherwise that is how i normally do my cylinder. The way its described in that thread. Anyone gonna post the link?
Old 25-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #169
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Send a message via ICQ to Zlatovous Send a message via MSN to Zlatovous
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here 
Total Awards: 7
Oops, didn't think of that :-) Yeah, I think it does help and it doesn't cost much

I tried to find it, but I failed. No clue where I found it before (definitely on polycount) and google doesn't respond with good answers either
Old 26-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #170
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
I think mine was just a post, not a full article. I'll see if I can find it, but it's not going to be the one you were thinking of mate... Let me have a dig around

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #171
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Found it (I think). There are two posts from me in the thread, one showing two different poly flows for the same object and the second showing the number of calculations per vertex

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread...lations&page=2

Was that the one you were thinking of?

Old 26-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #172
Raul

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
yeah, thats when i 1st became i aware of that. And then i found that other article on polycount. We should try to find it and post it for future reference.
Old 26-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #173
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
I wouldnt be concerned about how you capped the cylinder at all. It only ever saves 2 triangles and allows for a potential and very slight improvement to tri-stripping. But even the tri-stripping is likely not going to matter because no one does manual tri-stripping, its always automated which means its not likely to even get stripped perfectly enough to pick up the quads in the cap as strips.

In today's modern rendering engines, skimping on your triangle count is almost a non-concern. There are much MUCH more important considerations to improve frame rate. Lighting is probably the biggest thing. More lights will kill framerate alot faster than more tris. On the Wii, poly clipping is alot more expensive than raw tri-count.

If you are using an advanced enough rendering engine to use normal maps, chances are you don't need to worry about how you cap cylinders. In fact, when using normal maps, the radial cap is preferred in my opinion. The vertex normals with a radial cap are MUCH better and more predictable than with a quad cap. This allows you have cleaner normal maps. And, as Raul has shown, it allows you to easily add some depth to the cap (I've done this on many occasions)
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #174
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Fair point - with the extra vert in the middle it's cool. My post was about fans on edges rather than how Raul has it with a vert in the middle

Old 26-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #175
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
You have some great stuff going here Raul! Don't usually check the low poly section that often but you have some really nice models, love the double barrelled gun btw...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #176
pangahas
Marvin S. Cruz

Send a message via Yahoo to pangahas
Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Really really impressive stuff you have here. You inspire me..I might start up my own low poly thread, hopefully you guys could help me learn doing low poly game art stuff the right way with tips and the like. So until then, good day..
pangahas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #177
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
The chainsaw looks great. I really like the texturing.
E4sY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:35 AM   #178
Raul

Awards Showcase
its been a while since i posted anything up in here. here is what im currently working on. any suggestions and crits are welcome.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #179
h2k1

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Walk this way'' 
wow! amazing!!! is that a real model? what is it??
h2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #180
Raul

Awards Showcase
finished the high poly.

There may be somethings im gonna have to tweak as are things that show only after i rendered. What do you guys think?