>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > CG News > Latest Headlines

Old 03-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Amr-3DT
Administrator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 4
Harry Potter and Clash of the Titans to be Released in 3D

Following the success of Avatar, Universal decides to release Harry Potter and Clash of the Titans in 3D.

- VIEW HERE -
Attached Images

Amr-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Hmmm i'm not sure about 3D films yet as i've not seen a film in 3D. I don't fancy wearing 3D glasses to watch the films. I'd rather just enjoy the films as they are. I'm looking forward to Harry Potter & Clash Of The Titans........especially Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part I. I'm a big big fan of Harry Potter films, books and audiobooks and can't wait to the part one of the final book finally hit our cinema screens.
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
ecchi

So... it looks like they are just going to run this through some sort of artificial 3d simulation then? Unless they filmed it in 3d(which Cameron did), its really going to be hard to replicate Avatar's implementation, which largely made it so successful.

This is just an obvious money grab. Announce this stuff for movies we know that haven't been filmed first.
ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Nukie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
No they are not going to make it artificial. They mean they create it in 3D, as they did with Avatar (although Avatar wasn't the first 3D film at all), that you have to wear special 3D glasses for certain depth effects.

I dont know. On one hand I liked the movies I have seen in 3D, but on the other hand: As they only do it because its cool and they can make some extra cash (because that is what is sounds like here), and it doesn't add anything special for the movie or the story, than why do it?

Other thing is, I already wear glasses, so that means that after 2 hours in the movie my nosebone is going to hurt like hell.
Nukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
ecchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukie View Post
No they are not going to make it artificial. They mean they create it in 3D, as they did with Avatar
Not to be an ass, but Avatar utilized 3d camera's(essentially 2 camera's side by side). This technique has been around for years. This creates depth with physical props and set pieces. If HP or CotT did not use "real 3d camera rigs", then they are artificially generating 3 dimensional depth, it is "not the same" as what Avatar and other 3d films use. Likely all green screen material/cg will be stacked with stereoscopic rendering(since its the only material they can generate depth with at this stage) on 2d slates(film). If you're aware of that, then I should point to my original argument, these films are already passed the filming stage, and are only "Now announcing" the decision to add these movies in 3d. Which strongly implies they never filmed it with a 3d rig to begin with, since that would have been given since the beginning.
ecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Nukie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I was speaking about the actual depth effect.
I know how stereoscopic images are created, since I have worked with them.

I thought you mean with artificial, that you where talking about full 3D (as in Shrek like animation).
Nukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Talinbreze

God, what is this obsession with 3D films?? I mean, Avatar I could understand - that was designed as a 3D film - but Harry Potter? C'mon! Have some pity on all of us poor sods who get travel sickness when we have to wear those funky looking glasses O_o
Talinbreze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I wear glasses myself and have trouble keeping those on my face let alone wearing 3D glasses, i'll be happy to just go a watch Harry Potter DH Parts 1 & 2, I don't think there is really a need for 3D but it's just the "new technology" must be implimented into every new film kinda thing. So I suppose time will tell.
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
Kage
Perfectionist...

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''The Z-5500 Speaker system'' was featured on the frontpage! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 5
I think it is being overdone, and that is a shame, as I love 3D, and the idea. It will go either 1 of 2 ways.

3D will become really successful, even with the glasses you have to wear (until the release glasses free displays cheaply)

or 2, it'll crash because it'll be a fad that will fail to impress after a while, because of the sudden boom.

I watched Up in 3D, and also Avatar. They were both amazing films, and 3D did seem to add to the amazement

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
dubdope

yeah, I saw avatar in 3d too, I cant wait to go to theathers with real D again!
dubdope is offline   Reply With Quote