>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 16-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Novian
Mentallic Design

Send a message via AIM to Novian
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 3
Dominance War V - 3D - The Keeper - Novian

www.mentallic3d.blogspot.com

Got some thumbnails done tonight. Story and thumbs at my blog.

Cheers~
Novian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
A quick idea for my story:

"The Keeper is the guardian of all the collective knowledge of all time. He holds the answers that will unlock the future of the human race. Long ago during a great period of waring the Keeper uprooted the Library of Alexandria and carries it now as a part of him. In this grand temple of wisdom he continues to gather all knowledge of the universe.

When the Final Judgement comes, the Keeper will extend down a pathway to those he deems worthy of this prize. These select few, having obtained this most precious gift will carry forward to mankind's salvation"

Still need to do some rewording and such but that is the idea.

Welcome to hear your thoughts.

Cheers~
Old 17-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Edit: Better thumbs up. I've got the hang of this now. C&C welcome. Thank you!

Cheers~

Last edited by Novian; 17-03-2011 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Better thumbnails
Old 17-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Numbers could help , gl and keep it up man!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
redonix76
3DT 4 Life

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Very interesting. Nice wide variety of choice...although it would be helpful if they were numbered? It'll make it easier for us to let you know which ones we like.

Overall though I like the 1st guy on the bottom page.

-Portfolio-
-DWV-
redonix76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
I've edited the original thumbs post. Better thumbnails up now. Also added easy numbering. C&C welcome. Thanks!

Cheers~
Old 17-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
9 for me.
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
More thumbs:

C&C welcome.

Cheers~
Old 18-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Moving forward with the design I am attempting to create a "lumbering giant" of sorts. Here are the latest thumbnails. Please give me some feedback on which are your favorites. (1-12) (far right S1-S3)

Cheers~
Old 18-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Yet another direction. C&C welcome. I'm trying to nail down the design.

Cheers~
Old 18-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
frostsnake

I realy like the shape and huge head /helmet on concept 3
frostsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Man, great concept exploration. A very interesting idea for this character!

From the first set of roughs, I would go with number nine. it has a strong silhouette, and more importantly it's very asymmetrical. Plus, I think a stockier build would work well for this character. An interesting idea that you might pursue, is instead of having him carrying the library on his back or something, incorporate it into his body cavity. As if he was a living building. Now, this design of course will force you to take some liberties with the design of the library of alexandria, but isn't that what it's all about? hehe

So your concept would be this giant colossus, with windows and pillars in his chest and gateways and balconies.

Of your latest set of roughs, I have to say I don't really like any of them. I think the central head thing is a little weird and will look strange once modeled into 3d, also I think you should stress asymmetry with this character. Like the huge arms and sort of lop-sidedness you had in the first set of concepts was much stronger and made for a more interesting silhouette.

Some good reference for you might be to take a look at some of the art for "Shadow of the Colossus", may lead you to some good ideas.
Really great exploration so far, hope my comments helped!

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatSnappedStrings! Thank you:
Novian (19-03-2011)
Old 21-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
So after a great deal of idea struggling I think I've found something. What I am shooting for is the body proportions somewhere in the range of #29/#30 or S3.

With this I am taking him into a psedo Statue of Liberty-esc state in that he will look like a giant statue of Plato complete with half-sash toga. Now the folds of the toga about his chest/waist will be similar to the spiraling dangerously close-to-the-cliff-edge roads of a mountain with the various buildings and wings of the library embedded into the "walls" of the folds.

He will still have one long arm to allow passage into his body/library and I am playing with the idea of that arm looking something like a tall cylindrical greek temple.

An additional possibility is for his second arm to either be permanently fixed to his chest holding the toga (which would be what is causing some of the folds) or free and holding a giant staff that briefly resembles a scroll. Much like the shepherd watching his sheep so too the Keeper would have a staff to protect his knowledge.

I will have some sketches to post this evening with luck. At the moment what do you think of these ideas?

Thank you.

Cheers~
Old 21-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
At long last decided on a body shape. Here it is along with a rough sketch of the robe/toga and his scroll staff. C&C are most welcome.

Cheers~
Old 22-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #15
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Interesting final body shape you've got, I kinda like it. The giant arm you'll need to work hard to integrate into the design. Everything from his pose to the design of his legs are going to have to reflect that he's got an extra giant weight on his one side.

Nice start though, keep running with it!

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote