>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 31-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #31
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I'm not too worried about all that. There's nothing in the rules that says you can't references a little history or fantasy for the backstory. Plus I'm not really copying an existing God, I'm making him into a different diety entirely. I could probably re-word it so there is absolutely no confusion.

It's no different from someone creating say Alexander the Great, Qin Shi Huang Di, or the Pharaoh Namer, as real Gods, not just self proclaimed living Gods. It's still an imaginative idea that is more interesting to me than picking an element or virtue already characteristic of some other God and pretending like it came out of thin air. Everything comes from something after all, I'm just being upfront about it because I think it adds to the concept.

And like you said, if someone complains, I can always mix it up. Or if they're really adamant about tearing mine down, I could always point out how their concept borrows things as well.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 31-03-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #32
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
You've got a big mix on your background story, maybe you could think about one of those caracteristic you want to push out the most?
I don't know if it's a good comment but, care not to disperse too much.

-God
-Cortez
-Pillage
-Aztec
-Snake
-Quetzalcoatl
-Brutality
-Cultural assimilation

But I like the idea, and the themes, have fun!

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #33
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Add Riches, Greed, Fame, and self-entitlement in there as well. Been watching some documentaries on CortÚs all mourning to try and see what more I could learn. Going to stick with Pillage as the main theme, because it basicly encompasses everything.

He has to look like the omnipotent resurrection of Cortes exemplifying all the traits that drove him to his brutality conquest. That means I'm dropping the Quetzalcoatl serpent God link, aside from maybe mentioning the locals planted the "God" idea in his head. Also, no religious tie in. Though in his mind it was a holy crusade, he clearly was acting like a monster on his own accord.

Even though the Aztecs hid a lot of the riches from CortÚs, I think if he is reborn as a God, it's only proper that he be consumed by it. I just don't know though if the gold will be enough though to sell it. Should add some sort of magical element, and if so any ideas?

Last edited by Crispy4004; 31-03-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Old 31-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #34
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Fair enough. I do thinking dropping the Quetzalcoatl is a good idea, that'll dispel a lot of potential confusion. I do think its quite a unique idea, and look forward to seeing how you develop it.

Magical element could be cool if you can find the right thing that fits, but I wouldn't force it. Maybe he found a cursed or powerful artifact on his quest, etc.

* Lightwave * User

Last edited by Warlock 279; 31-03-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #35
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
That's definitely a possibility. After all, Pirates of the Caribbean came up with the idea that the hidden gold in the "Chest of CortÚs" was cursed. I'm assuming it was the chest that was intended for the King of Spain that is forever lost.

I'll be avoiding the undead route though.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #36
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
So before I sketch anything out...

Galleon Cannon, completely retarded, or so ridiculous it just might work?

I'm also thinking of maybe just taking the back end of a galleon, maybe a single sail, and then working it into the cannon.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 02-04-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Old 02-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #37
gestis

Somehow I have missed this thread... Very nice development, really. I do really like the cannon - better than minigun, but don't like those strips, that hold it. Maybe you could keep the cannon, but use minguns handles and triggers? I'm not sure about that entire ship, so can not give my opinion. But I would not worry about the cannon, it could fire nuclear blows or simiral...

P.S. And do not forge to create your entry here: http://wwww.gameartisans.org/contest...dtotal_3d.html
gestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #38
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Or some kind of ship like thing integrated to its arms with medium sized cannons.

For some mood inspiration, not completly zombie like, but more in a ghost/cursed one like.
(Pirates and ghost are often linked), there was vnmribaya's tomb raider entry.
His final was really interesting.
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=75143
Hope it can help.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #39
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Spent the entire day building some much needed Re-topology tools in Maya. Some if it is from other scripts, but the big one, "Retopo Tool" I built from scratch:

Maya's got notoriously bad support for Re-topology tools. I like NEX a lot, but it also tries to hijack the interface making Maya unstable. It also gets in the way when you need to swap to standard tools. Topogun and 3Dcoat are good alternatives, but I want support in Maya so I have immediate access to all the other modeling tools.

So I came up with sort of a hybrid between NEX and Topogun inside of Maya. It will take a little adjusting, but it's just as easy to use and almost as quick. Definitely much faster than any other free solution for Maya. Don't know if I'll be releasing this to the public, but I specifically built it to help with this project so I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 09-04-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Old 09-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #40
RHedendahl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating the topology resource thread! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 3
SO do you have a download link :P. I can be beta tester...
Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #41
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Another Update:

____

I've got it working now so there is no overlapping when placing points like the append polyon tool. That always drove me crazy. Also added some selection settings so you don't have to be 100% precise with your clicking. Think I've got this is workable enough order now to put it to heavy use in this competition .

About a beta or any sort of public release, I haven't decided yet. Part of me wants to hold onto this one. I figure it gives me a little edge now that I can Retopo quickly without asking the employer to provide Topogun or a NEX license.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #42
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Yeah, I'm still messing around with the script, this time playing around with it on my base. I just keep fixing little things to make it faster and easier and adding more features:

The Retopo tool is completely Context Sensitive. This means you can do a whole laundry list of different tasks that are helpful to Re-topology in just one key stroke. Thinking about calling the script Retopolo'G' for that very reason.

Still have a couple non-essential things I would like to add, but for the most part it is stable and fast .

Last edited by Crispy4004; 10-04-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #43
NeoGeo

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
That's all kinds of awesome. Hopefully you'll share it someday...
NeoGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #44
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGeo View Post
That's all kinds of awesome. Hopefully you'll share it someday...
We'll see

Made even more progress on it today:

- Removed the need for an extra keystroke when building polys out of edges
- Added Context Sensitive Edge loops tools
- Added Append edges that are not touching (bridge gaps).

Now almost everything you'd ever need to do can be done with a single button, minimal clicking, and minimal component switching. Couple that with with the higher click box sensitivity that makes it easier to select and you've got even higher productivity.

Feels very natural now. The only thing missing is an optimized 'live object' setup and make that object use shrink wrap, but that can come another day.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 11-04-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #45
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Check Out RetopoloG in Action

It can do more than just this, but I just wanted to demonstrate the context sensitive Retopo tool I built from scratch.