>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 31-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #61
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Total Awards: 1
really like the turtle idea....the shell is looking a little cartoony at the moment...but crispy there seems to have looked up some good reference so that should help...really liking the model and concept though gonna keep my eye on it
Old 31-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #62
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
teeth like this are clearly for eating flesh, animals that eat plants have flat - as opposed to pointy - teeth.
koyima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #63
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
There was some nice movie with big turtles from Terry Pratchett's book, discworld.

http://lafoireauxlivres.files.wordpr...if?w=500&h=392

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!

Last edited by washka; 01-04-2011 at 12:24 AM..
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #64
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
i have actually designed a turtle with ancient ruins , locked in an underwater lake in a cave for a game (well about half way through the game), but the game was cancelled... part of the ruins was a turtle command throne in which the heroine of the game (1 out of two), controlled the turtle, via her telepathic abilities to the land of Telchines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telchines). You initially though you were on a lake island, until you jumped in the water and swam around it.

pitty i can't share my sketches (due to NDA)

Last edited by koyima; 01-04-2011 at 12:32 AM..
koyima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #65
gestis

The pose should be somehow similar to these guys:

As you can see, they can raise their front end pretty high.

Quick and dirty way have changed general proportions in Photoshop so, the second version looks better now, I think. And #1 is how it looked before that.
Attached Images

gestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #66
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
No 1. No 2 reminds me of a turtle a friend had, we used to show it a tomato and the turtle used to pose just like that :P

I think that the base pose is No1, and you could always pose it to No 2 if the action asks for it.

Isn't the bell standing with 0 rotation? right now it's at like 15. ( \| )I know it may be hard to achieve a believable pose and at the same time a perfect straight tower. Did I explain myself well?

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #67
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I really like the idea you are going for here! The only comment I would have is that the anatomy does not speak volumes to what it is doing. Because his legs and long and skinny and his head (relatively) small, it makes the building look light.

I guess the first thing that comes to my mind is the turtle ancient that Ang meets in one of the last episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Attached Images

Last edited by setschaos; 01-04-2011 at 02:26 PM..
setschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #68
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
-Upper part of the head is flat, with a bump on the back of the skull.
-Neckpart go from large to thin, not vice versa, skin folds.
-The plastron is really characteristic and can be articulated.
-Considering the real scale, the shell is bigger, except if you stylize.

Can you see that?

Water or earth turtle, earth?

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!

Last edited by washka; 01-04-2011 at 07:56 PM..
Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #69
gestis

Yes, I can see that, washka! But as I already have mentioned many thounsands years ago, I would not mimic it. I'll use it as a starting point and then play with various ideas, shapes, materials. Of course, there should be some logical moments like, setschaos, mentioned. And thats all. Everything else will be pure fantasy product.

wil_himura, I'm not going pose my turtle like the second guy in the image nor make him jump, hang in the ear or anything else. This image shows maximum lengh of legs he can pull out of the shell.

So, thanks everyone, who trying to help one or other way. Cheers!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #70
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Hmm, a pure fantasy product, that's some paradoxical idea impo.

But hey! It doesn't matter.
Hope you won't mind some little tortuga speedie?
Let's have fun!
Gl and keep it up man!
Attached Images

Last edited by washka; 02-04-2011 at 12:26 AM..
Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #71
gestis

I think, this is the last piece of this concept, so I'm not going develope it any further. Just don't like how it's turning out.

I'll start from scratch... again But idea remains the same - tortoise with belfry on his back...
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #72
Rytis

ow its cool i think its going grate
Rytis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #73
gestis

Ryti, geras pastebejimas... Dekui!

wip:

Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #74
gestis

Well, setting up general masses...
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #75
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Your tortoise just needs to find his inner killer. Lower that head down, raise that back, bulk up those muscles, and make him look like he is ready to charge you.:

And none of this sort of wimpy stuff :

Last edited by Crispy4004; 03-04-2011 at 09:49 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatCrispy4004! Thank you:
gestis (13-04-2011)