>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 21-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #16
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim View Post
Initial color pass, just blocking, but it looks like ****.
That color pass doesn't look like ****. It looks like the **** which is awesome ****
Old 21-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #17
redonix76
3DT 4 Life

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Hey man nice stuff! I like the green, gray, and browns. They all go well together. The blue seems a bit out of place since it's more related to maybe water or sky, rather than earth.

Earthy colors like bronze, copper, or different shades of greens or brown will look cool too.

-Portfolio-
-DWV-
redonix76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 01:55 AM   #18
Dim

Definitely agree with you there. I think a nice gold would do nicely.
Dim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
Dim

Orthos done. With and without pack. His armor is heavily stacked on his left side because I've been thinking of him as a sort of a chargebreaker, hence the single pauldron, etc.

Last edited by Dim; 21-03-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Old 21-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Don't know but with all this equipment, he looks like a ninja imo.
Like the one with the banner pack, it's a good concept so far, keep it up.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #21
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Ortho's look nice (though I think he could use a bit more bend to his back), should be a huge help in modelling.

I'd say that I'm not quite feeling the ethereal design in your character though. The sorta hodge-podge weapons and armour, take away a little bit from the "old god" kinda look. It's not much, I feel like if you were to add a few extra elements that help suggest that ethereal idea it would go a long way.

My only crit though, strong start regardless, and welcome to threedy! Glad to have you in the comp.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #22
Dim

You're right Puckducker, he doesn't seem particularly supernatural, but that's more my preference. Looking at most ancient gods, their powers/divinity isn't terribly apparent (I mean in non-Abrahamaic religions) within the art of their cultures, and I look more to examples like the recent Lord of the Rings movies (the wizards' appearances aren't clearly magical, based purely on appearance) for inspiration. I think the reason why it's more believable to me is that "magic" in terms of our historic cultural definitions is a way of understanding the unknown, and these are typically things we can't see. Thus, when adding funky effects, it becomes abstracted and less plausible and convincing. In addition, a god, in the more polytheistic or animistic sense needn't be truly divine, but rather embody the qualities of his/her domain.

Of course I could be full of ****. What do you guys think (about the whole topic I mean)?

Also, is there a way for me to change the title of the thread? I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks.

Moodboard!

Last edited by Dim; 22-03-2011 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: added a lot of argument....
Old 24-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #23
theyoonion
Cakes are never lies

Nice MoodBoard,
the horns should be a lot of fun, I know joe...rr Flakked...know how to do horns really fast, really easy. Its like the horns on his sword, he did it in like 30 seconds. Ask him to show u.
I'm wondering if your going to have spurt of fur coming out between his armor, I think it would add to his to his epicness. Also banged up armor sounds really cool, lots o' work but cool. Can't wait to see more of him
theyoonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #24
Xenier

not sure about the hodge podge feeling of the armor, as I mentioned to you on facebook, you should be able to look at this character and (without any prior knowledge) FEEL his power. Obviously people may not get the "god" thing right away, but the design of the character should put the viewer down that thinking, that this is a powerful being beyond the norm of reality.

possibly exaggerate the proportions more? or go for a more regal armor design or more naturalistic. At the moment I'm feeling freelance warrior. Also, big floppy ears like that would probably be tied back or something, wouldnt want them flailing around in combat to be lopped off by a stray swing.

Love the design, great character, just not feeling the "god" ness

at least, that's how I see it :P
Xenier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #25
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Yep totally agree, it'd be really easy just to weigh your guy down with tons of runes and robes and just go through the checklist. I think you're right that it's meant to be something a bit more intangible and that it's going to be subtle.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #26
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
As other ppl states, at the very first concept, your God inspired wisedom to me. It's a God of the plains, "we come here, new ppl and find It, an entity that has been here for ages, maybe since the really begining, he has walked all the way already, we are here to just listen what It has to say, to imitate the way It interacts with the land, if we don't, It will teach us the lesson one way or another".

If I were a God, I might be interested in flavours and all, but I wouldn't worry about cooking the food :P Too much unecessary equipment imo

If you stick to the enlightment and wisedom idea, maybe some scripting tool to allow It to write about It's experience on the plains and writing up lessons learnt through time while observing the way things evolve... just an idea!!!

If the warrior way fits your concept, maybe something that intimidates with all of it's body, instead of only some fencing would be awesome.

I really like to mod of the previous concepts, I like them a lot. Those are inspiring.

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #27
zugok
John

Nice turn around art, and very good start! The "Epic" nature can be subtle too, not everything needs to be a burning bush.
zugok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #28
Dim

Sorry it's been a while since I posted. I think Puckducker does a good job of summing it up. There's definitely a time and place for more heavy handed treatment, but I would prefer to keep it more subtle. Think:

Rather than:

And I agree about the pack, I'll axe it. But I think I'll keep the banner.
Old 31-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #29
Dim

Sorry for the double post.

Basemesh is pretty much done. Time to start the highpoly.

Old 31-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #30
Pockets
The Common Karl

starting mesh looks nice and clean, cant wait to see the sculpting!
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote