>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 19-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up 
Total Awards: 8
Question Dominance War V - 3D - Avian God- Kaiune

Im a bit new to 3DT forums but need a new community. I am dying to actually finish a comp. Why not start with Dominance War.

My god will be the God of Avian Creatures. Tired of centuries of war and pollution causing the destruction of his creatures. He descends from the heavens to take back control of the skies.

EDIT-
Name:  MainFinal.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  96.1 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Kaiune3D; 22-05-2011 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Adding over paint to top of thread.
Kaiune3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Welcome to 3DT. Best of luck in the great War.

Interesting idea for a god. I like the four eyes idea.

I'm guessing you're just "sketching" in 3D rather than 2D for now? Not attempting to fly blindly thru your high poly I hope, as that can be a treacherous road.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
mix_mash

I hope you plan to do a full body concept otherwise you may get lost when working on it.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up 
Oh I difinatly plan on doing a 2d sketch. I just had the idea and had to sculpt it out.
Old 19-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Made a concept sketch. I may change the armor. Ill post some more wips soon. Im surprised the kiddo is letting me work today.

Name:  concept.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  138.7 KB
Old 19-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
I imported subdivision level 2 head from z brush made some slight changes to the topology for better loop flow.
Name:  head.JPG
Views: 1747
Size:  74.3 KB
Made a quick work up of the main body.
Name:  body comp.JPG
Views: 1394
Size:  59.0 KB
Old 19-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
Topology looks good for a base mesh but I have to ask are you planning on using this mesh just for concept sculpting or for work toward your final model?
Old 19-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Probably not I just wanted to get the shapes in place. I may keep the feet and definitely the head.

Last edited by Kaiune3D; 19-03-2011 at 09:22 PM..
Old 19-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
You definitely need to spice it up the concept and loosen up your approach. Right now it's suffering from the multiples syndrome, where you've added in extra parts like eyes and wings without any real reason for them. Make sure everything has a purpose otherwise it's just going to look like you don't have a clear direction.

As for modeling, if you model him in a straight T-Pose with a stiff as a board back, he's just going to turn out looking like a totem pole. Birds are very curvy creatures, you're much better off starting with a pose (like the image below) that represents that. If you find poly modeling is getting in your way, stop! Sculpt it out first with simple block cubes, zspheres, and/or Sculptris.

Last but not least get some good reference. For instance, now this is an intimidating bird.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 19-03-2011 at 10:03 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
The more I look at it the more I want to change it, as I really don't want it to look to bipedal. Thanks for the idea Crispy. I'm going to work on a new sketch now I have an idea.
Old 20-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
I am much happier with this one.
Name:  concept2.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  127.4 KB
Old 20-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #12
miclepickle

Send a message via AIM to miclepickle
second idea is looking much better.

Portfolio-
MCampbell3d.blogspot.com
miclepickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #13
mix_mash

The second version kind of looks like a giant rooster. Maybe if you used Liquify in Photoshop to beef the design up. Maybe you can add some armour to the feet, head, back and spine of the wings (not too much, though) to make him look cooler. In some of the Final Fantasy games, you can find some Chocobos in armour and they look awesome. Also, make his wings huge. The size of the wings should be comparative to what would make him able to fly. But, because this is a fantasy character, you can make the size 120% larger than that.

Paul
(mix_mash)

PS: I'll send you a message soon.
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
I was able to model the main body and some of the armor. I do plan on making some leg and wing armor as well as ma the wings a bit bigger than the concept. I do want to make sure that the wings will fold in correctly. I do plan on playing with floating items like similar to Amaterasu's shield from Okami. Since I don't really want clutched weapons or to turn the armor too much in to a weapon.

He kinda looks like a dodo with out the wings or tail feathers.
Name:  armor.JPG
Views: 1110
Size:  46.1 KB

The crits are much appreciated thank you.
Old 22-03-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Made the wings and added some placeholder feathers.
Name:  wings added.JPG
Views: 1102
Size:  53.5 KB