>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 18-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
JoeLaFrite007
Lego maniac

Send a message via MSN to JoeLaFrite007
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Trackmania skins

Hi all !

This funny project is based on a joke i had with teammates during a game session. One of the members of our team is "kwnon" as "the Camel" so i decided to create that for him

Here's a little start with it, "wheels" are here just to guide me for proportions.
That's my first "organic" modeling...hope i won't suffer with that !

I'm using 3dsmax 9.

C&C are welcome
Attached Images

Last edited by JoeLaFrite007; 24-02-2010 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Edition of post title
JoeLaFrite007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
JoeLaFrite007
Lego maniac

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
little update : I'd found a cool head for my camel... here's the rought shape
Attached Images

Old 18-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Tox

looks good . Will you be able to use it in Trackmania?
Tox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
JoeLaFrite007
Lego maniac

Awards Showcase
Yes Tox, that's the objective !
I spent 2 full days in making tests with basic object to see how everything was working and now i'm ok for all the exporting issues.
My main problem actually : texturing !

It will compatible with all Trackmanias (United, Nations, Sunrise and Original)

Update :

* head is finished
* i "rounded" a bit the body

I need to find a cool way for the wheels/body connection... i thing i'll make a toy-like global aspect.
Attached Images

Old 19-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
JoeLaFrite007
Lego maniac

Awards Showcase
Update !

I'd finished the modeling and the uwrapping of all the skin and wheels.
I'd finally tryed it in-game and i'm quite happy of the result. This is the low-res version of the skin, i'm starting right now the hi-res.

Hope you'll like it !
Attached Images

Old 19-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
aahahah OMG so cool :d, it's hard to place the models inside the game ?
Years ago I played the game online so much it was so nice challenge, the online servers are still on ?
there are many players online and it's still fun like years ago ?

this is the new version of the game ?
http://focus.gamesplanet.com/game-tr...affilie=SITETM

in this U placed the skin ?

I don't remember the name of the old version of the game, but from the trailer is not this one.

man u give me a virus u remember me the good old days, and seeing that that game is very cheap only 40$

hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
lol I asked so many things :P
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Tox

hehe good job, turned out really cool. Nice idea with the lights
Tox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
JoeLaFrite007
Lego maniac

Awards Showcase
Thanks a lot for your comments mates !

@Tox : I didn't really known where to put the front lights... and for the rear one... how to say... it was instinctive

@hammering3D : In the order

It's quite easy to create 3d skins for trackmania, you mainly have to respect some bouding dimensions, name correctly objects and make understandable Unwraps.

For the servers, i don't know if all game versions are still active but i'm sure that United ones are still really alive (800k active players actually), Nations ones too...maybe Sunrise are still here.

Yes, the actual version is Trackmania United Forever (Forever is the free official add-on from Nadeo)

In order of release there was :
  • Trackmania Originals (3 environments : snow, rally, desert)
  • Trackmania Sunrise (3 environments : island, coast, bay)
  • Trackmania Nations (1 environment : Stadium). This was the totally free game used for the ESWC.
  • Trackmania United (7 environments : all the environments mentionned previously)

I played a lot Nations and now i'm playing since its release to United (it makes a while now...2006 !)
Waiting now for Trackmania 2 that will be really nicer but, what will be very interesting, is the possibility to model our own blocks of road.

Now little update and end of it : the Hi-res version (in-game) !
Attached Images

Old 22-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
awesome, it's really satisfying getting something in game isn't it?

I'd be interested if you've got a few links to a tut or at least specs for exporting to trackmania. I'm halfway through an mx5 and this might spur me on to finishing it

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Congrats on getting it done. Nice character/car

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
JoeLaFrite007
Lego maniac

Awards Showcase
Thanks a lot for the comments !

@poopipe : yes, that's really a great feeling for me for 2 reasons : it's working in-game and the friend i'd made this skin for is very happy of it !

I'll make a quick video shoot in-game by day & night for you to see the result.

For the exporting spec', i'm currently making a single A4 page with all the important information for making a fully fonctionnal skin in TM. It's very close from completion (just a "general workflow" graph to do and it will be over) but the first version will be in french (but the main names and functions are in english).

Now i'll have to start modelisation of a frog, a bear and a goat... my "stupid" teammates want a skin for there own nicknames ! (we are a bit stupid in our team !!!)
Old 24-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
JoeLaFrite007
Lego maniac

Awards Showcase
Here's a new one : the frog !

EDIT : Little video shoot from the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CdHX8yTADU

Last edited by JoeLaFrite007; 24-02-2010 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: add of a video link