>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 18-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #46
Cayenne

Thumbs up Caligari trueSpace4

Hi heres a link I came across and want to share , it may provide some with another low cost fully featured well rounded package that is well worth a look.

http://www.caligari.com/store/special/OpenHouse.html
Old 23-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #47
Foxter888

Send a message via AIM to Foxter888
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_joe75
I need help choosing a free modeling program I can use to make characters for games and such. I have downloaded gmax from discreet and fooled around just to get the hang of things but I am not certain if it can be used to mod games. I also heard about milkshape 3d and blender and I need someone to give me a 1-10 scale on all of them please. your help is truly appreciated.
if you need a free program I can give you maya6 I have it and with the key gen my aim it's guitardudebpaul
Foxter888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #48
Foxter888

Send a message via AIM to Foxter888
just mesage me back on this thread and I will set up a day so we can actually give you maya and the key gen so you cna use it without having to buy it... ou can get freem programs like 3drad.com or anim8or.com those are free and very simple 3drad it's for making games
Foxter888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #49
andoy

Hmmm i wonder if Autodesk are always gonna be this nice at Christmas time and give away free copies of Maya...
Sometimes there are really unbelievable posts here.. lol

Winston Churchill.

CG Portfolio: http://andoy.cgsociety.org
andoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #50
rpf_81

Try some models from my blog...
rpf_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #51
ergono

Very bad lesson 1!

I am a beginner and I saw a very bad lesson 1 ! We are teached how to move
objects but no details on how to import 3D model for lesson 2 !!!!
I tried to import but I saw several buttons and no one was functioning...

Lesson 1 have to contain data on formats and how to import and export.
Until now Zbrush is not ergonomically. Very difficult to understand it ....

Where is the entering for importing objects????????
ergono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #52
tickletop

Almost all the advice I've read point to Blender.
tickletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #53
Jareddar

To import an object in to Blender do the following. Top left corner click File, then select import and object file locate the OBJ you want to import and select it, click accept top right and hey presto after a few seconds the object is imported.
Jareddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #54
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Voidworld is getting pretty awesome. Kinda feels like Silo, Max, and Maya had a child. Think it would be a great free alternative while it's still in Beta.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #55
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
I just had a guest writer add a post to my blog. It's not the best writing I've ever seen, but she did an ok job covering some basics.

Ten 3d Software Applications

+1 for Blender as a great starting point for free software.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #56
terry1337

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Student versions

you can get all autodesk programs for free as student licence maybe that helps ^^
terry1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 04:02 AM   #57
Addison12

one thing i've been wondering.is it the software or the skill of the artist that would determine the quality of the finished piece? i know kind of a hard question. how about this: would i be more of a kick ass 3D'er if i took a Maya course for 6 months or if i just got into Blender and taught myself?
Addison12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #58
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
Ask yourself the same question with a car. Does driving Car1 make you a better driver than driving Car2? As long as you know how to drive then you can easily switch to a different car.

Same applies to 3D software. Quality of a finished piece depends on your knowledge of the software and your artistic skills.

Box / edge modelling, topology, UV unwrapping, texture painting, rigging, animation. Most software do all that. Some have better modelling tools, others have better UV tools etc.

I've been using Blender on and off for a couple of years and I love it. Before that I was an on and off 3dsmax user for years and liked it too.
It's not that hard to switch from one package to another anyway. If you can learn more than one then do it.

If you want to learn Blender, head over to blendercookie.com and follow their intro to Blender series. Then pick any tutorial, they're all of high quality. You can also peep blenderguru.com or blendtuts.com or [insert site here]. Blenderartists is where you will find most users and lotsa info.

And remember, if you want to be a kick ass 3D'er as you put it, you'll need to spend time 3D'ing no matter which package you choose.

Have fun!

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote