>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 25-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #61
freesupra
matty

Send a message via MSN to freesupra
Big Toe - the move to make the coat look more zebra skin like is one for the better, the suit looks quite loud perhaps some form of velvet look alike in maroon/green or purple but perhaps thats been done too much but it does seem to work, and the alpha maps need a bit of tweaking too but as i would suppose you will still be working on that
But other than that its turned out really well, keep up the good work
freesupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #62
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
playing wit hthe coat's pattern, maybe someone can help a toe out. Using Max, I apply the oppacity map, it works, but when I add a spec map to help bring out those highlights, it also brings back parts that should be hidden wit hthe oppacity map. Take a look at the hat to see what I'm talking about.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 07:43 AM   #63
MattyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultalias
sorry to go of topic, but Game Maker 6 is capable of 3D, in fact it's what's being used in a project i'm working on(my first WIP posted in this thread was related to this...). it's very capable in the right hands. i'll post a screenshot of the game when i'm allowed to.
I hate to go off topic here but I saw ur first Wip and how are you inputting your 3d models into gamemaker? Or are you just rendering them and making those into the 2d sprites that Gamemaker uses. I only had a 2 week course so I'm obviously no pro but I looked at the "3d tutorials" on their site and all I saw were just basically 2d sprites in a 3d world, like the FPS, the monsters are just 2d sprites with some walls all around them. Thanks for any help u can provide.
MattyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #64
Jedianakinsolo
Amish Modeller

Send a message via MSN to Jedianakinsolo
Hey all, just a quick one from me. Got bored, haven't been able to finish any of my big projects because of the lack of a proper computer, but I did make this today.

"Failure is not an option, it just comes with the software."
Jedianakinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #65
defaultalias
Meh...

Send a message via AIM to defaultalias
Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
I hate to go off topic here but I saw ur first Wip and how are you inputting your 3d models into gamemaker? Or are you just rendering them and making those into the 2d sprites that Gamemaker uses. I only had a 2 week course so I'm obviously no pro but I looked at the "3d tutorials" on their site and all I saw were just basically 2d sprites in a 3d world, like the FPS, the monsters are just 2d sprites with some walls all around them. Thanks for any help u can provide.
well, the way we used to do it was kinda like creating a primitive 3D object, eg. sphere or cube, but using an exporter to get the objects vertex coordinates and stuff, and then creating a complexed "primitive". we used marzipan or something like that to get those coordinates. now, we use an external .obj loader made by our German programmer, which has support for multi mesh objects, animation tweening (smooth transition between frames), and it loads on runtime, as opposed preloading. but that .dll is the programmer's and the teams property, and i don't know if they want to make that public. ha, i'm just showing off, but yeah, Game Maker 6 is capable of full 3D, albeit very low specs (DS/PSP specs). and don't worry, this is all realtime and game related, and this is the post what your working on thread.

and just to prove it, some screens. kyle if you read this, please don't be mad, it a valuable recruiting opportunity. btw, all this is property of our team, and we're working on securing copyrights, so do not repost this without our permission.

the platformer test level

.obj loader test

MMO client test (project halted)

Last edited by defaultalias; 26-11-2006 at 09:42 AM..
defaultalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #66
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
hey BIG-Toe...its very impressive.....coming up real nice......great texturing.......but IMO...there's some problem with the palms in terms of proportions...the thumbs are looking big....and its an old problem with max's opacity and specular maps when u use both together...specular always overrides the opacity......
dhruvsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 01:51 PM   #67
freesupra
matty

Send a message via MSN to freesupra
BigToe - perhaps the transparency needs to be copied into the channels alpha map of your spec map in photoshop so that it cuts out the specularity on the areas that are to be transparent

somehow i dont think that is making sense but ive never been good at explaining things :P
freesupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 02:10 AM   #68
LostSoul

I think Freesupra means masking the specular map with your opacity map.

I'd suggest, in addition to that, checking to be sure that your specular map has the full range going in its colors. If your image doesn't go to a pure black, you will get specular highlights like that where you don't want them (and it produces those ugly floating highlights). Beat myself over the head plenty of times trying to figure this out till in frustration I realized that just a miniscule amount from pure black can do this.
Old 29-11-2006, 06:26 AM   #69
MattyG

Wow, I never knew it was capable of that lol, hmm now all I need is my own German programmer to make me an exporter :-p. Don't worry if you can't make things like the program public, I completely understand all the copyright jazz. Thanks for explaining it, I hope you don't get in trouble for posting those though haha, it doesn't really seem like you posted anything that could be like seriously classified or anything, its awesome to learn about Gamemaker in a way I have never seen it.

I was cleaning out some books a few hours ago, and I found UT2003, so I'm hoping I can boot that up and look around online and see if I can get models into that game, if I can that would be a great stepping stone for me. Thanks again for the insight into game maker, and good luck with your game!
Old 29-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #70
TheWinterLord
Reretsiged Uesr

same game as the baseball player, who i have finished and animated.

got one hour into this carrot. design by our concept artist Reiner.
TheWinterLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #71
MattyG

Lookin good so far, but if you have the polies to spare I have a few suggestions.
1) I would add a few more leaves, it looks like u just have 1 there, I think he would look good with a few more like the concept. They could actually all just be 1 big plane if u wanted.

2) I would chamfer the fingertips, it won't add too many polies, and I think it would make them look a lot better, unless u want them square like that but it gives them a really sharp look. I mean the edge that is like underneath the nails, not the whole finger btw.

3) I dunno what look you are going for, but your legs are connected, your arms aren't, and your hand looks like it is like half connected, it may just be the view, but I would make sure you make them like all the same kinda system.

Good luck!
Old 30-11-2006, 01:23 AM   #72
Kalango
Freelacer berseker >_>

I also got my one!
Heres the main character of Nightmatre in the Dark game(i'm remaking it):

still some things to fix...but getting hapy with it...
And this is for a duel comp...robot soldier:

the limit is 4k polys, i will do my best to finish it.
Old 30-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #73
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
who are you dueling, anyone we may know.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 30-11-2006, 02:28 AM   #74
TheWinterLord
Reretsiged Uesr

MattyG thanxs, yeh i had only worked on the carrot for 60 minutes so yes the limbs were not connected, i made one leaf so i could uv map that one and then just copy it as many times as i would want so that i would get many leaves.

about the finger i wished i had seen the post before uv mapping it. il post a pic tomorrow and u can see how it turned out.

The carrot is now finished and uv mapped. another guy is going to texture it, then il animate it.

Big Toe did i forget to say beautiful?
TheWinterLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 02:36 AM   #75
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
yes, yes you did. The comp that it's for ends Monday, so I should have the final textures and poses and what not done by Friday, Saturday at the latest. I'll post a few of those in here, as well as a close up of the fish tank shoes. The renders I have up now make it hard to see, but there are a few fishys swimming around down there.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life