>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Speed Modelling

Old 18-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
Post BRIEF - All Terrain Armoured Vehicle.

Welcome to the third MONTHLY CHALLENGE which are spread across the entire forum. This section is the Speed Modelling Section.

You're challenge if you choose to accept it is to make the best All Terrain Armoured Vehicle.

Due Date: 31st January

Idea: This vehicle is designed for harsh environments and meant to be capable of traversing all types of terrain, from snow and ice to desert and urban warzones. It should be able to inflict heavy damage to enemy positions from a distance as well as close range. It should be equally capable of defending itself from both close range infantry attacks and light artillery/mortar barrage.

Time Limit: 240 Mins, multiple entries are allowed at the WIP stage, but you can only submit one into the final judging.

Competition Restrictions:

Your entry must be specifically created for this challenge. Do not use any pieces from previous personal works. We are relying on your honesty here.

Prizes!!

Speed Modelling 1st Place

Digital Tutors - Semi-Annual Membership worth - $225
3DTotal - Total Textures 19DVD set - worth $748
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 12 month subscription - worth $40
3DTotal - Any 3DTotal book - worth approx $40-$60
3DTotal - t-shirt

* please note 3DTotal books are Digital Art Masters and Digital Painting Techniques Series only
**3DTotal t-shirts can be swapped for 3DTotal ebooks if you already own one

Speed Modelling 2nd Place

Eat3d - Any DVD (download) - worth approx $60
Focal Press - Any 2 books - worth approx $60-$100
3DTotal - Any 3 ebooks - worth approx $45
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20
3DTotal - t-shirt

Speed Modelling 3rd Place
3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15
3DTotal - t-shirt

Speed Modelling 4th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt

Speed Modelling 5th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt

UPDATE - Submission Guidelines

1x Beauty shot of your vehicle. Feel free to post multiple angles of your model or just one big version on this page. You are free to do whatever post effects you like on this image. Be careful how you do this though, simple is often better. Itís up to you.

1x Wireframe of the model. Feel free to post multiple wireframe shots both screen grabbed and cell rendered, the more angles and good clear wireframes the better.

1x Clay render, a detailed clay render of the model created, again with as many angled shots as you like or one big render of the chariot.

All images should be no larger than 1024x1280 in a portrait or landscape format. All images must be at least larger than 800x600 or bigger to qualify. All images must be uploaded to the threedy severs via the attachment button in the advanced section of the thread page.

Time spent on the vehicle does not include texturing, lighting or rendering.

State your software of choice, and time spent somewhere on your entry. Any additional details such as lighting and texturing and rendering times are optional.
It is permissible to use different software to light and render your model if you so wish.

Last edited by Rich-3DT; 06-01-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Psycho Mantis
R.I.P. James Gandolfini

Send a message via ICQ to Psycho Mantis Send a message via MSN to Psycho Mantis
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason:  Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: For some brilliant comments on the Lara Thread. Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Won in the SMC 34 - Mix Me Baby One More Time Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
guns and cannons allowed, or is it only armor?

Trollpost or GTFO!
Psycho Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
JAPO

Send a message via ICQ to JAPO
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge!  
Total Awards: 2
Hello... so to sum it up:
- designed for harsh environments a
- capable of traversing all types of terrain, from snow and ice to desert and urban warzones.
- able to inflict heavy damage to enemy positions
- distance as well as close range
- should be equally capable of defending itself from both close range infantry attacks and light artillery/mortar barrage

hmmmm... I think I may need a bit of clarification, as only thing that would fit the description is Death Star Mk II (yes, the one with protected vent that blew up in Return of the Jedi) .
Anyways... I wanted to ask:
Question 1: How much invulnerable to all those attack the vehicle should be? I mean vehicle thats so armoured it can withstand artillery shelling will be very likely to susceptible to infantry attacks, and vice versa. Being effective against infantry, the vehicle should provide enough field of vision making it susceptible to area of effect damage, like shelling. So my question is... should the vehicle be able to withstand both (I do pity the infantry caught in friendly fire), or do you take vehicle that can withstand first, deploy into "soft target" position and be good against infantry as viable?
Question 2: You mentioned desert, urban, and ice. You didnt mention anything soft. Not even famous AT-AT has fins. Does it mean we can make vehicle thats not able to swim? (swamps are a bit of extreme, I am not seriously pushing it that far).
Question 3: This is sort of sequel to the surfaces question... does the vehicle have to be 100 percent efficient on all said surfaces? Again, whats efficient on snow is not as efficient on concrete. Vehicle that rules desert will be less efficient in urban area and vehicle from urban warfare may need... digging up from sand from time to time.

I am sorry for this kind of questions, but I would like to see if my idea is worth carrying on, or if I should scrap it (yes, vehicle of my choosing will drown in about 1,5m deep water, is susceptible to bogging down in snow, and does not perform admirably on sand. ) Its still in consideration phase, so nothing set in stone and I may go different way in the end.

Thank you , Japo over and out
JAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Rich-3DT
Super Moderator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
guns and cannons allowed, or is it only armor?
Both are allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPO View Post
Question 1: How much invulnerable to all those attack the vehicle should be? I mean vehicle thats so armoured it can withstand artillery shelling will be very likely to susceptible to infantry attacks, and vice versa. Being effective against infantry, the vehicle should provide enough field of vision making it susceptible to area of effect damage, like shelling. So my question is... should the vehicle be able to withstand both (I do pity the infantry caught in friendly fire), or do you take vehicle that can withstand first, deploy into "soft target" position and be good against infantry as viable?
Question 2: You mentioned desert, urban, and ice. You didnt mention anything soft. Not even famous AT-AT has fins. Does it mean we can make vehicle thats not able to swim? (swamps are a bit of extreme, I am not seriously pushing it that far).
Question 3: This is sort of sequel to the surfaces question... does the vehicle have to be 100 percent efficient on all said surfaces? Again, whats efficient on snow is not as efficient on concrete. Vehicle that rules desert will be less efficient in urban area and vehicle from urban warfare may need... digging up from sand from time to time.
1. The design should be able to withstand a limited amount of artillery fire and also be effective against infantry but off course no vehicle is 100%impregnable - it is left to your discretion but as long as it is not completely vulnerable to either then that is main thing ultimately.

2. It does not need to be amphibious or able to swim

3. It does not need to be 100% efficient on all surfaces but at least able to be mobile on most within reason similar to a tank.
Rich-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
JAPO

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge!  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-3DT View Post
similar to a tank.
Thank you, tank is exactly what I had in mind. That and mech. And possibly something that does not have a category yet. Not amphibious really freed my hands. Whew thanks

Ad lord doin... of course it does not have to have wheels. And I expect many mechs in this round. I may do one myself. Already see it in my head
Old 04-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
very sweet,
nice subject very nice and the 4 hours for it.
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-3DT View Post

Time Limit: 240 Mins, multiple entries are allowed at the WIP stage, but you can only submit one into the final judging.
Hmm this really calls for the public C&C since they are giving final votes, and posting the final model as something you prefer not the audience is a recipe for failure
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
Count me in for this, this topic sounds good for me
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Lord_doin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
if you get an answer to all these questions it could prove to be a challenging challenge, and I'm going to add one myself(althought maybe not participating).
- is it meant to be present of can it be futuristic?
- if future is allowed > does it have to have wheels?

Software used:
Blender 3D 2.56 Beta
The GIMP
Lord_doin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
Rich-3DT
Super Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_doin View Post
- is it meant to be present of can it be futuristic?
- if future is allowed > does it have to have wheels?
It can be futuristic or based more on present designs. The key thing is that it will be a new design and therefore may well look futuristic (or possibly a current day prototype) but nearly always the most plausible concepts reflect the real world and hence in this case your vehicle may look a little retro.
It does not have to have wheels.

My hope was to avoid not specifying every detail in order that there would be more scope for creativity and the opportunity for individuals to tailor their designs.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
JAPO

Awards Showcase
Quote:
The key thing is that it will be a new design and therefore may well look futuristic
I thought of modelling real life vehicle in real life situation. I guess that option is not available then, right?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
Rich-3DT
Super Moderator

Awards Showcase
My thoughts would be that if you want to model an existing vehicle then some level of creative modification would be interesting to integrate into design even if the overall structure is recognisable.
Again though there are no strict rules here, just that an original design may give your entry the edge over a replica - up to you.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
JAPO

Awards Showcase
Quote:
My thoughts would be that if you want to model an existing vehicle then some level of creative modification would be interesting to integrate into design even if the overall structure is recognisable.
Again though there are no strict rules here, just that an original design may give your entry the edge over a replica - up to you.
Thank you. I thought it would be something like that, and I suspected my original idea was... way too real. It has been Panzer IV Ausf H. Interesting vehicle, well doable in 4 hours with some sick level of details. But it would be too real even with additions, as this particular tank had many additions.
And so... plan B
Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
rodrigoCOX

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Can it be a walker like At-At?
rodrigoCOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
The standard vehicle that is named All Terrain Armoured Vehicle. is the HUMMER (army version)

http://www.armyrecognition.com/image...sraeli_640.jpg
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/f...058_humvee.jpg
http://www.hummerpedia.org/wp-conten...-sam-hmmwv.jpg

Like ATV stand for All Terrain Vehicle and the classic ATV is that 4 wheels bike.

The thing that it must stand up for all that attacks and can replay back against all type of enemy is just an general thing, it dose't mean that it must be INDESTRUCTIBLE or ALL POWERFUL and run perfectly on all type of terrain.

The HUMMER from the images I post is perfect for the brief, it manage well all kind of terrain (asphalt, desert, hills, grass, etc), it is armored so stand well against infantry attack and light artillery attack cause he is nice armored. It can attack back the infantry with the machine guns on top of it, and attack well the distanced or even heavy enemy with rocket luncher placed on top of it ore having inside people with RPG's that stand out and shoot.

Of course this is a nice All Terrain Armoured Vehicle to, that can replay fire from infantry and artillery and can stand up against both.
http://www.hummerpedia.org/wp-conten...-gladiator.jpg

This is just my opinion anyway!

PS: and it did't mentions in brief that it must go on water, and some muddy swamp terrain is ok for the hammer.
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote