>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Armageddon - Dec 2009 > Armageddon - Game Art "Army of One"

Old 07-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
Dhin - Army of One - Askerøk

Subject Name: Askerøk (translation literal - "of Ashes and Smoke" )
Description: Every culture has a legend concerning the end of the world. Call it what you will Armageddon, Ragnarøk or whatever, they all have the world ending in ashes and smoke. But it is what rises from those ashes that is the true hope and terror for all.

Initial Concepts

Playing with my favorite bits form each... still not quite final, needs more bulk I think.
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
D R E A M N T

Send a message via AIM to D R E A M N T
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
This is looking good.
I really like number 3 in the top row and number four in the bottom row.They have really strong silhouettes.
D R E A M N T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Dhin!

Finish this one, haha. Concept looks good. I'd show a little more skin though.

Nice work

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Thanks guys. I'll try to get more up tonight.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Okay a little slow on the update. Bu there is good news I think I am done with the main concept, so now on to modeling... though the mechanical arm still feels a bit off, I think I can fix that as I model.

Last edited by dhin; 10-12-2009 at 05:49 AM..
Old 11-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
frostsnake

Thats a good update, and a cool concept.realy like the chest protection.
looking forward thoda model!
frostsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
I started the model last night, but it is still just a very simple base at the moment. I keep saying I need to learn to Zbrush, so I guess once I'm done with the base that will be my next step.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Mr.fE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
yeah the armor is really cool!!

..I kinda preferred the other builds...like the top and the bottom third...more unusual...

but still great concept!
Mr.fE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
I liked those too, the beefy strong melee type looks great, but they would only be good in small groups and one on one style encounters. And as an army of one they might not be able to survive.So in thinking about what would make a One Man Army, it seemed that personal protection and fire power would be the two largest determining factor on whether your army wins (IE you) or suffers a total wipe out (IE you die so you lose.) That was the real reason I when with the bulky armored type. I'm also adding the shield, a combat type shotgun, a sword, and a pistol to him.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
frostsnake

yeah, start testing zbrush(or mudbox) atleast. its the way to go! the ui just needs getting used to, then all the rest is good.
I think its logical that he will need alot of protection, then some heavy firepower to balance it out. Shield sound like a good idea. sword for melee, pistol for midrange and shotgun for longrange:P
think maybe the shoe plates could look good with that darker color you got going, they might fit better with the rest. then the right arm will stand more out aswell. keep it up.
frostsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #11
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
I really like the concept you got going on and yeah Zbrush FTW.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
So has anyone ever woke up one morning and realized the 3 weeks have just passed them by and that they a no further along than there last post and that time a speedily coming to a close... just curious.

Fact is I think I may skip the Zbrush lesson for now and just try to get the model done and textured without normal maps, disadvantage yes but still doable I hope. I can always just back lighting and fake details the old way.
Old 23-12-2009, 05:03 AM   #13
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
cool concepts man!!! I think u should get it done one way or another!