>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Sculpting

Old 29-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
The Lost Jungle - Sculpting - Female Amazon Warrior ( Nudity Warning )

The Lost Jungle: Female Amazon Warrior

Welcome to the Twenty-fourth Speed Sculpting Challenge. Whether you're new to sculpting, to the Threedy forums, or you're a seasoned veteran, come and join in on the Sculpting madness – there's plenty of fun and learning to be had by all!

1. The competition will run until the 30th of April 2010, 11:59 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here); the time between now and then will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting for the entries.

2. You will be supplying your own base mesh for the competition, from which you will start sculpting. You can create your base mesh in any application ( 3dsmax, Maya, XSI, Cinema4D, Zspheres in Zbrush, etc ) using any technique, with no limits. Do not use an already made base mesh, you must build it specifically for this challenge.

3. There is no longer a fixed time limit for your sculpting. Quality over quantity.

4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.

5. You will have to supply a wireframe screenshot of your base mesh/meshes along with your final entry image ( see rule 7 ).

6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpt you can produce. If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable and on topic.

7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it, along with your screenshot of the base meshes used ( see rule 5 ). It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labeling etc., but do not add excessive post-production to the images themselves that may alter their aesthetics. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "Manage Attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

8. You can create multiple sculpts, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.

9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here and your FINAL entry in the Final Submissions thread here.

These rules apply to everybody taking part – there will be NO exceptions!

1st Place

e-on software - Ozone 4.0 - worth $295
Eat3d - Any DVD (download) - worth approx $60
Digital Tutors - Monthly Membership worth - $45
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 12 month subscription - worth $40
3DTotal - t-shirt*

2nd Place
Focal Press - Any 2 books - worth approx $60-$100
Eat3d - Any DVD (download) - worth approx $60
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20
3DTotal - t-shirt*

3rd Place
3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15
3DTotal - t-shirt*

4th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt*

5th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt*

*3DTotal t-shirt can be swapped for a 3DTotal ebook if you already own one

Additionally, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners please send a request for your corresponding shiny forum award: http://forums.3dtotal.com/awards.php

More details on our sponsors and the enormous prizes can be found here.

Time limit: None

Start Date: 1st April 2010

Deadline: 30th April, 11:59 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here)

Subject: Female Amazon Warrior

This challenge is about creating a female character with two traits: mesmerizing beauty and ferocious power. The amazon warriors of legend are cults of female warriors, that show off as much of their perfectly toned bodies as possible. They are the wild agile fighters of the jungle, stalking their foes before striking with their bows or spears.

So let's see the most gorgeous and deadly female amazon warriors you can sculpt. If you do nudity in your pieces, keep it PG-13 and artistically proper. I'm ( and I bet all male members of the forum ) looking forward to the entries. There is no time limit for this challenge, so you can spend all the time you need on all the little details and accessories of your amazon. The most important aspect we're looking for is your sculpt's personality.

For some background info on the amazons, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazons

As always, you can choose a realistic style for your sculpt, but you can also try your hand at a stylized version as well. You can do a head or a bust, but a full body sculpt is extremely recommended.

Let's try this out:
Download the free application CamStudio here, and record your progress on the sculpt ( set it to save about one frame per second ). You will not have to display it to the public, only to the judges in case you qualify in the top three. Of course, you don't need to complete the whole sculpt in one sitting, so just resume recording whenever you return to the sculpt ( multiple video recording files are acceptable ). Feedback on this idea is welcome!

Please read all the rules and brief carefully. If there are any further questions, ask and they shall be answered.

Last edited by Freespace-3DT; 31-03-2010 at 11:34 PM..
Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Jabberwock

Nice subject.
Is it still a need to maintain the camstudio recording while there's no more time limit?

can't we limit it at severals screenshots all along the wip?
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
animationutz
Animation is life!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
need to build up on sculpting skills. may try this as a first time
"You dont' do it for money, or you're a monkey. You don't think of the bottom line, or you're a monkey. You don't think of it in terms of hourly wage, yearly wage, even lifetime wage, or you're a monkey. In the end you don't even do it for love, although it would be nice to think so. You do it because to not do it is suicide."
-Stephen King
animationutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
polysmooth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My current DWIV entry was linked to the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime Style'' 
Total Awards: 6
Nice Topic....

I'm in...
Old 01-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
Is it still a need to maintain the camstudio recording while there's no more time limit?

can't we limit it at severals screenshots all along the wip?
I don't think we have to record our sculpt, it think Freespace just copy-pasted the rules from the previous challenge and forgot to remove that part.

Anyway it's cool there is no time limit on the sculpt, I expect to see a lot of quality sculpts out there.

As for me, it will be the occasion to practice myself at sculpting female anatomy (which I have never done) and to test that graphic tablet I just bought
MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Actually I thought people could still record in order to post their progress. It's not to check up on you if you respect the ( currently defunct ) timelimit, it's to see your progress either for verification ( in case something suspicious may happen ) or in case you want to release it as a tutorial.

I'm really looking forward to some amazons. Let loose your creativity.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Turvs

I am going to enter this, even though i havent actually finished a character but i think a month i could one finish thats worth posting . I was going to start a character anyway might as well be in a comp.
Turvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
Actually I thought people could still record in order to post their progress. It's not to check up on you if you respect the ( currently defunct ) timelimit, it's to see your progress either for verification ( in case something suspicious may happen ) or in case you want to release it as a tutorial.
Ok, but are we really forced to record, or we can choose if we record or not?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Turvs

I think we have to record, but going to be hard for me to upload as i have very limited bandwidth and cant download or upload much at all.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyReg View Post
Ok, but are we really forced to record, or we can choose if we record or not?
Not forced at all. It's a suggestion, and if you do record it you don't have to post it anywhere. It's just something good to have in case it would be requested.

This is about fun, learning and cool sculpting. We're not gonna go "Big Brother" on you.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
Not forced at all. It's a suggestion, and if you do record it you don't have to post it anywhere. It's just something good to have in case it would be requested.

This is about fun, learning and cool sculpting. We're not gonna go "Big Brother" on you.
you better not go big brother.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:42 AM   #12
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the reply Freespace.

Well here I start the sculpting party, this is my base mesh I will take in Zbrush.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
throne
Problem ?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Awesome, iam in!
throne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
Turvs

Do you think its best to do base mesh in 3ds max similar to yours MightyReg or using zspheres in zbrush?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
BananaHead

yeeeaaah, nice theme-choice!!

i was just thinking about what i want to do next. i decided to create an amazon. i already have an idea and searched some inspiration...
and then i read it is the monthly challange... what a fortune... cool.

I'll try my best to finish in time.

good luck to everyone!

Last edited by BananaHead; 02-04-2010 at 11:04 AM..
BananaHead is offline   Reply With Quote