>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Game Art

Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
Likwidmotive
Eater Of Babies

Its like you took the mesh from World of warcraft man; such a low poly count. I'm seething with envy.
---------------------------------------------

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=75121
Likwidmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Thanks ChunkyMunky!

I'm glad you like it Likwidmotive! I really did my best to reach the lowest tri count possible. So i'm forced to draw better textures... because all of the details will be on the diffuse map I hope i wont fail.

I'm moving on to uvw now.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
Likwidmotive
Eater Of Babies

I'm going to suggest this, because this is what I'm seeing everyone do in this thread (My self included) is using zbrush to sculpt the textures, and then hand painting it for a diffuse colour map. I'm going to suggest bringing that entire model in zbrush, and then increase the poly count to roughly 2.5-3 million polys, and sculpt the crap out of it. And since you already have the low poly model from studio max, you can just throw on the diffuse map and normal.

I guarantee it'll look sick man

Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #19
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Yeah, that is what i do most of the time too.
But this time, i want to use up around 95% of the uvw space, which i will do by stretching the map here and there a bit.
By doing this, i can't really paint the diffuse map in my regular approach.
So i decided to use PS CS 4 for projection mapping. Which i never used before i hope that it will turn out to be usable...
Old 06-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
Likwidmotive
Eater Of Babies

good to see you using things that go outside of your boundries of knowledge. I was going to use zbrush's zshperes II.....which I might actually redo the entire mesh, and make all of the clothes and such in zbrush with subtools, and to also stick out from the rest....cause I don't see anyone using the newer versions of these programs

I can't wait to see your textures man

Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #21
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Hey Miklós!
Great work man, congratulations
Such a low poly count, wow amazing!
I'll be out till april 24 so i think i'll not be able to participate
this month

Good luck man
Cheers!!!

www.stoneking.com.br
Stoneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Thanks Likwidmotive!

hey Fernando!
It's sad you can't join this time. I hope you have something to work on
Please check back on my entries (there will be another one next weekend) and c&c them if you have the time!

Long time, no updates. I've been working on the uvw map. I redid it a couple of times from scratch. I'm still not confident with the result, but i'll go with this one now. I started rigging, there are some issues to be fixed, but the major part is done.

The final tri count turned out to be 3178. I needed to add some loops here and there for better deformation.

I hope you enjoy what you see!
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #23
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Hi Cordero,
the position of the character is successful!, great progress.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #24
snakeeaterjns

Hi cordero. the model is very good, but the legs are strange, seem long, and the thigh seems very thin.

Game art competition - Battle Chess
snakeeaterjns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #25
Likwidmotive
Eater Of Babies

im sure the legs are strange because he was trying to make folds with 20 polygons, lol. Great work man, kudos. I still think you robbed World of warcraft of their mesh lol :P Its probably 1,500 polys in total. When I vote, this is definitely one of my choices due to that factor. Just wow me with the texture maps, and you got my vote.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #26
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Thanks Snake! i understand what you mean, but i'm pretty happy with the proportions now, so i don't think i'll change the legs now, but thanks for the reply!

Thanks Likwidmotive! I "googled" some lowpoly wireframe meshed, and i figured out my own way of doing it WoW models are pretty good, so i' happy that you think my work is similar

I was thinking about making the texture 512*512 res. And if i do so, i want to do it in 512*512 not rescaling lets say a 2048*2048 texture map.
I hope it'll look okay
If not, i'll redo it in 1024*1024... the lowest i'm capable of
Old 12-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #27
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Pose is looking great, looking forward to more
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #28
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Thanks chunkymunky!
Is there any chance you will ever join a game art challenge?

I ran in to a problem here.
I'm trying to bake my AO map. The bake is all right, in the render window which appears when i hit render, but i set a padding, so it bleed over the uvw. And because of that i will be needing the output file, which comes out black.
I applied mental ray ao map on the model, and i tweaked the setting so it looks okay. But the output file is black.

Can anyone help me?
Old 13-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #29
chunkymunky
General Monkey

Send a message via MSN to chunkymunky
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Sorry don't know MR otherwise would love to help, i'm not sure i'd participate in the challenges i'm very much a watcher of these things, my 3D isn't too good and my sculpting it worse lol and my painting is horrendous, so it's unlikely
chunkymunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #30
Cordero

Awards Showcase
chunkymunky: I guess you are one of the guys who has the eyes for this stuff then

Just showing some progress. used zbrush for something like an AO map, which works for my model for now.
I started some work here and there with the textures.
I'll do the equipment later.

It's a print screen from 3dsmax. I don't really plan to render this, i'll just use a viewport shader.

I need to finish this till friday, so wish me luck!
Attached Images