>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > The Lost Jungle - April 2010 > The Lost Jungle - Game Art

Old 03-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
mies

Mies - Indiana Jones - Cortez Dezorez

Hey guys,

Im gonna make something to. Sofar i just started with the concept and not sure what to think of it. Its my first serius atempt to a concept drawing and it needs alot of work. please tear it apart.
Attached Images

mies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
mies

Ok, some progres. Guys help me to improve it
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
chichiri

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: rd Place in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 2
The concept is great but I think he would need a gun and a backpack.
chichiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
mies

im working on those items as we speak, Any comment on improving my drawing / concept sketch?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Check out some youtube videos. type in "speed painting" you will see some nice stuff there. I also suggest you to learn anatomy, which will improve your humanoid character drawing significantly. I also suggest you to learn about perspective, and shading.
Overall human proportions should be learned as well.

I would also suggest you to think like you were the character. Would you go to find treasures with a little knife, and a "sidepack"?
No you wouldn't!
I also suggest you to learn about highlights. Metal items have "hotspots" i don't know how you call it. Right now, the sword has the same shading as your skins have. That would improve your drawing a lot again.
What could help, is that you use big burshes at the start (about the size of the head of the character you want) and then, as time goes on, add new layers, and on those layers, use smaller brushes, painting on the big, overall shaped layers.

You can find anatomy, and some proportions by typing in "anatomy" in google, or search this forum's "Traditional Art" section, where is a thread, which contains some great anatomy drawings.
As for the highlights. Go to your kitchen, grab a knife, put it next to your arm, and start to rotate both around together. You will see that the knife reflects the light differently then your skin.

Good luck with these things.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
mies

So, Anatomy, perspective and shading and human proportion..

Can u show me where the human proportions are off? i thought i was pretty close there.

Wich specifick parts need most work in ur opinion? (skip the blade im still working on it and shouldnt have shown it in this pic).
Old 04-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
I searched the net for pictures to show you.
So here is the proportions of the human body, showing it as the guy ages. The baby's got a huge head compared to their body...
Notice, that the final adult guy is about 8 head tall.
Your guy on the other hand, is about 5 and a half head tall. If you look at the prop. picture i attached, you can see that a 5 year old boy has this kind of proportions. And if you look at your character, he has a mustache. So he can't be 5 year old.

The head is 5 eye wide, and the eyes should be in the "middle" of the head. Yours now is a little bit lower then those should be.
I also think, that his forehead is huge, compared to the other parts of the head.
The jaw line is rounded on you drawing. Man's jaw line is strong, "square" shaped, and angular. Girls have this kind of rounded head.
I would also flash out his hands, if its possible. Or draw him in a position, where the fingers doesn't show.
The neck is also way too thin. Look at the picture, i attached. The neck is as wide as the head itself.

So i suggest you to scale down the head drastically, that should solve some problems.

I also am not good at drawing. If you did those disorientation on purpose, then its fine. But first, you need to learn the rules, to successfully bend them. (i read it somewhere, cool eh?)
My drawing in this challenge is an example for this. i wanted to draw a guy with humanoid look, but i changed the proportions a bit to reach "cartoony" look. It turned out to be not that bad.

I am merely trying to help you, so if you are finding my posts disturbing, its because i'm not good at English
You could of course, avoid what i said, and try to look at references from the net. compare photos to your drawing. The solutions will be right in front of your eyes if you are doing this.
also try to add some equipment to him. He could be now the next prince of persia

edit: good luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cordero; 04-04-2010 at 04:38 PM..
Cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
mies

ok wip stuff comment please
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
Crevasse

Chest seems a little short to me. I'd move everything done a bit. lower the abdomen. The box representing genitalia (I expect anyway) would be lower overlapping the legs a little. Though I doubt you're modeling genitalia so no worries. Other than the chest/ab length i expect other changes could easily be made during modeling so I'd get started if you haven't
Crevasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
mies

Thank you for ur reply Crevasse, Are u sure the chest is to high? its exactly on the second head..
Old 08-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
mies

ok better?
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
Crevasse

haha ignore my comment, I brought into photoshop and threw in some guidelines to check how it lined up with the heads and it seems fine. Not sure what I was thinking. sorry.
Crevasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
mies

Crevasse: No, no, in my last image i move his, pecks i beleave they are called down abit, and u were 100 pct correct. Im very gratefull for ur advice cuz u really see even the smallest details. now i have to learn to draw it in a pose and draw cloths on him ^^ lets see how that goes.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Well, as far as i know, its impolite to ignore someone's post on a forum. I wrote you a little essay, reacting to your previous problems. Now, you didn't even said a word, if you found it useful or not.
If you think, that my comment was crap, say it.
If you used it, and it served you well, you could at least say thanks, or something

I wont even waste my time again to try to help you.

But you know whatever
Good luck to you.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordero View Post
Well, as far as i know, its impolite to ignore someone's post on a forum. I wrote you a little essay, reacting to your previous problems. Now, you didn't even said a word, if you found it useful or not.
If you think, that my comment was crap, say it.
If you used it, and it served you well, you could at least say thanks, or something

I wont even waste my time again to try to help you.

But you know whatever
Good luck to you.
I downloaded that image. Printed it and posted it on my wall so i can always remember. I care. I. Care.
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote