>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 19-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #16
thefmilyofblood
Threadjacker

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 3
We'll show those polypussies what for!

Fight in the Dominance war!
thefmilyofblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Turning a polygon into an ass- The Grant Warwick Story

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
vnmribaya

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 75 ''Deep Sea Creature'' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' 
Total Awards: 8
im with sir big toe, i dont think we have to be afraid, thats not the 3dtotal attitude man! this was just a warm up, and if you see the standings 3dtotal is first in the main with two golds, and thats for something... so dont be afraid, ever, becouse, its just a ride...jaja seriously, if you see the concept art thread (i mention this becouse its my unit) you can notice thats a lot of our warriors missing, and i think that in the 3d unit its the same, but they will be in the main event, pointed they will be! and you ll see that with our lines complete we will win moarrr gold...MOARRRR! GOLDDD!! So better get ready, in less than 15 days, the **** will start, so you have less than two weeks to change your mind, becouse your teammates needs you!
i ve read a thread in de GA forum, and they are discussing about crits and comments, how t o take them and to accept and stay open, thats a team s work, thats something to be worried about, but its not something that we cannot do. And we are discussing if participate or not!!and how great the others pieces were, im worried about that. so better we gets our minds in it, and change this, with a diferent mind set, work and lots of TEAM WORK we will win, and better, learn a LOT in the process
vnmribaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
You know vnmribaya, right now, I'm thinking that I'm loosing too much time writing comments for 5 or 10 different people about their image work, and in my current point of view, for CG forums community members, we're really, really stupid. Here's the reason:

Comments are not useless, we still need them, but I think that if you want some more real teamplay, maybe it's time to evolve a bit. Talking about forum.
I can explain my idea further if you want to, it's not a revolution, it's already used, it's just a tool.

The problem is that I'm a lazy guy, and when I make a comment, I usually translate my thought about an image into words.
Then the guy that'll read my comment has to translate my words into thought about his image: We're stupid, we shouldn't loose our time using words, and translate each time... I'm not even talking about language difference.

We've got [quote], we've got insert image, we've got tons of smileys, I'm a lazy guy: I want more, and I know it's possible.

Now the real question is: Do you think you're currently a bit stupid?

Quote:
Turning a polygon into an ass- The Grant Warwick Story
For a low poly girl/woman, you can start with two opposed triangles, it's funny because I've just observed that recently.

Last edited by washka; 20-12-2010 at 06:02 PM..
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Out of curiosity, how long will voting be open?
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #21
vnmribaya

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 75 ''Deep Sea Creature'' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' 
Total Awards: 8
washka my friend, im not trying to discuss if the coment and crits are useless or not, if after someone write one we will follow it or not, or if we are stupid, lazy or not, my point is that meanwhile they discuss how to improbe, we are like white flag white flag, and saying im no t going to participate in the main...that kind of comments can reduce our lines, dont you think? if you have an idea to imprube please share it with us, that s what im saying.

now the real question is: Do you think you have the balls to enter dominance?
vnmribaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Don't worry vnmribaya, I'll enter and I'll also support you my friend, and I've already reinforced mines with gundamium.

My white flag interruption wasn't completly serious, just a test because I wanted to see threedy members's motivation after end of da warming. You know, da fighting spirit!
Was positive.

But I also wanted to point out that we've got some big opponents. (Nicezzz!)
I don't fear anybody, and even with my low level skills this year I'll burn them all. (Oups, I already did it with da flag.)

I could also add that comment and crits are never useless and that I have just had an idea of a tool that'll help us all to improve better and faster.

If you've the possibility to quote and edit a message using a browser, you should also have this possibility for an image, no?
================================================== =======
An included and simplificated kind of artpad tool that we could use on a low quality attachment image (for a reply) could greatly improve da comment workflow using image instead of typing.
================================================== =======
I know that we're usually using toshop when we're making corrections onto an existing image when we want to point out something. Because it's easier than doing a comment. And it's visually more effective.

I don't ask a photoshop included into threedy forum tools, but just some kind of basical paint connected to quote/attachment.
For me it's just the next step of the evolution of CG forums, as : ) transformed to . We're making image here? No? That's why I said we're stupid.

It's just an idea to improve participation and teamplay for DW and daily forum life, you like it or not, I know it'll be integrated in the next century one way or another.

Last edited by washka; 20-12-2010 at 08:53 PM..
Old 20-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #23
Imajus

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
Out of curiosity, how long will voting be open?
I was told Jan 1st. I'm more curious about if the main comp will still start on time with Fred resigning.
Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #24
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imajus View Post
I'm more curious about if the main comp will still start on time with Fred resigning.
I believe the site did say Jan 25th a few days ago before it was TBA, so that's what I'm going by.

Now would be a good time to pick up on the lacking skills you need, investigating work flows of past entries, and build up your catalog of reference material. It is pre-comp preparation time, do everything you can to ensure you are ready to hit the ground running without actually starting.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #25
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by washka View Post
I don't ask a photoshop included into threedy forum tools, but just some kind of basical paint connected to quote/attachment.
For me it's just the next step of the evolution of CG forums, as : ) transformed to . We're making image here? No? That's why I said we're stupid.
adding realtime collaborative painting into a forum isn't exactly a minor job

conceptart.org have built a web based paint tool - i forget the name but it looked pretty solid when i had a quick try, i think it's collaborative.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #26
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
there is no chance its on schedule
A- It never is no matter what
B- ****storm has just taken out half the city

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #27
migroe

yeah, other communities have done some awesome stuff. and so did we! but i dont't mind about the others because i'm not a pro. so i'll definitely participate the main challenge and give my best for 3dtotal and have some fun

i also hope for more warriors in the concept-art-section. can't wait the war to begin!
migroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #28
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Quote:
adding realtime collaborative painting into a forum isn't exactly a minor job
xD I like you poopipe, you're already pushing far away my initial simple and basical idea. Even if it's a good idea too, I'm not asking realtime here. Btw congrats for your entry, 3D third seat got my vote for ya.

I know it's not a minor job, I've been working a bit with web application in the past.

I just point out that a [quote] button linked to the attachment we made when posting a WIP (allowing any forum member to push it to edit the image of any other forum member) with a simple black pen could be enough.
And when you save it attach to your reply.

It allows you to do that:
Look at Sathe's post here. Image is sometimes (not always) faster than words.

There is also adaptative or medium solutions, we could post our wip elsewhere where we can edit it fast. Or integrate exisiting tools. I don't know.
I'm just pointing out something that could be usefull for next last war, (especially for 2D , but 3D is made of 2D so don't whine).
Now if the community and specially the forum managers don't see any opportunity, stay blinds guys. Time will gimme, correction here, show me reason.

migroe, I was just like you last year, but I did give my best even if I couldn't finish my entry.
This year I'm considering my opponent's best when I said I'll give =my= best.
I'm not considering just myself anymore because now I know it's a limit. But It's a personal point of view you know.
And don't worry I bet there will be more bloodthirsty warriors.

Last edited by washka; 21-12-2010 at 05:55 PM..
Old 21-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #29
Vrednia
...will never grow up!

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I got third place in the Speed Modeling Challange  
Total Awards: 1
Washka is right. I know I don't stand even a single chance against the other guys in the animation section but none the less i gave 110% of the knowledge i have right now and I'm pretty happy with the result even if it has many many mistakes. We live to learn new things right? So even if i don't make it in the prestige places I'll be happy that I'm there with the big boys Have a nice day
Old 21-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #30
bb0x
Artificial Soundwave

Send a message via MSN to bb0x
Why dont you just use paint/photoshop? Instead of 1 click do 3 clicks...