>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The All New Speed Modelling Challenges

Old 28-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer-3DT View Post
Err read the rules timberwo7ves it's a 90 mins challenge
Conspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocin View Post
thanks guys!

timberwo7ves: I also needed some time to realize that you dont need a turbosmooth on every object. sometimes its enough to bevel an edge here and there.
and like ClassicGamer said: 90 min

cheers
Conspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pables View Post
Aye, it's better if you plan before you start modelling, that can be a sketch or simply thinking what you're going to do and an estimate time for every object, this include thinking an aproximate approach, i.e. if it needs to be smoothed or not, if better use splines in a particular object, model only basic parts then clone a lot to add detail.
Of course when you are modelling there can be unexpected issues and maybe you won't have the time to do something, but if all its planned you have a "path" to follow and anticipate when possible, and you wont loose time wondering what to do next while actually modelling.

It's complicated at first, but you'll see is not that hard, and it will get easier each week.
Thanks Ocin and Pables; I'm finding that I'm always working with the smooth preview (with the intention of smoothing later) turned on in Maya but I'll try to see where it's overkill; I guess it also depends on how close the object will be to the camera.

I'll try having a go at this one, in the "90" minutes :suspicious eyes: provided
Old 28-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Bezzen

I've been following the speed modelling competitions for a few months but never dared entering before. But well, why not now?

So here's my entry with complete and utter panic being the keyword. I totally ran out of time as you can see by the empy window and the comfy pillows.

Next challenge I'll try to plan some more. Probably.

I'll try to do a "beauty" shot later on if I have the time.
Attached Images

Bezzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Hi Bezzen, welcome to the SMCs I think you and I are in the same boat re:complete and utter panic
Old 28-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #19
ocin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
nice entry Bezzen. did you model the bedspread by hand? and why isn't your carpet visible in the AO render?
ocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #20
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
pables - game of thrones? hmmmmm yeah definately.... watch this space

Bezzen - A warm welcome to the forums, a great starting entry too, looking forward to seeing more from you in this and future smc's
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #21
Bezzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocin View Post
nice entry Bezzen. did you model the bedspread by hand? and why isn't your carpet visible in the AO render?
Yeah, the bedspread was a lofted curve and then some randomization of some points. (which sort of explains why it looks so bad )

And the carpet sort of disappeared in the AO, it's visible in the other passes. Probably not enough height difference from the actual floor. It was the last thing done and I ran out of seconds.
Bezzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
pables
Modoler!

Send a message via MSN to pables
Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.057 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge #24  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge ''Walk this way'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 12
Welcome to the forums. Great first contribution
Old 29-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #23
Pablo Ferro
Because that´s my name.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Hip Bedroom

Heyo! I have only seen lovely entries this week. Good job everybody!

This is my entry for this one. Not my bedroom but some yuppie´s

High speed spline modelling with some "low cost" poly modelling just to get in time for this one.

I´ll post the link to the 8x video of the modelling when I finish uploading it.

EDIT: Here´s the video

Name:  Comp1.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  191.9 KB
Name:  Comp2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  175.8 KB

Last edited by Pablo Ferro; 29-06-2011 at 05:14 PM..
Pablo Ferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #24
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
Great work Pablo. Very clean modelling and lots of details, also like the grass rug XD.
Did u use GI to light the scene?
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #25
Pablo Ferro
Because that´s my name.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Thanks mate.

Well I used some good ol´l Daylight System and two Sky Portals for the windows Combined GI with Final Gather.
Old 29-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #26
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
A bit off topic here but does using a non-linear work flow with Mentalrays sunsky lighting thing screw it up, because I was told by someone it does?
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #27
Pablo Ferro
Because that´s my name.

Awards Showcase
No. If you use GI with Sunsky you have to be sure that photons have a decent decay are correctly sized and mapped in your scene. I just use Final gather for the Color Bleeding part and the Sharpening part. That way I don ´t have to bump up the # photon values a lot.

Daylight doesn´t screw it up by itself but there´s some tweaking to be done.
GreatPablo Ferro! Thank you:
astroAJ (29-06-2011)
Old 29-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
dantrodgers

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pables View Post
John, we should have a game of thrones based speed modelling some day
YES! great idea

Really like your entry Pablo Ferro!

I'm in a right **** possition at the minute for modelling, moved in with my mates yesterday but they have no internet, and my girlfriend took her moniter that i was using, so i have to trek about trying to get some decent reference pics at uni, and then try and model on my old TV which claims to be HD but in reality is w*nk! Should be able to get something done for fri though
Old 29-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #29
Vitrux
Victoria Passariello

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I Got the second place on Speed Challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Pablo! you know you are crazy right???? Superb Entry!
I see the guitar too small, but anyway awesome entry
Vitrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #30
ocin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
damn pablo! your a machine!!
ocin is offline   Reply With Quote