>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > The Game Art Challenge

Old 18-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #16
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Dude- I know you started on concepting Dead Pool, but I gotta say flipping Motoko or Raziel would be more interesting. For one, you can see their faces. With Motoko, she's so well known as one of the toughest chicks ever - like the anime version of Ripley. It would be interesting to take that icon and try to make a male version of that. As for Raziel, he's just so stylized that he'd look really unique, whereas most characters would look like attractive females or attractive males, just how people read Raziel makes him stand-out, y'know?

I also think Anakin Skywalker flipped or Mother Goose flipped could be really cool. Especially Mother Goose - I don't think anybody else is even considering an anthropomorphic animal

Oh well, that's just my two cents. Definitely gonna be watching this thread!

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #17
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
Okay I did some more sketching this weekend (and played some D&D - a Revenat Paladin of Tempest!) and well I'm leaning very heavy towards Raziel. I'll try a little more sketching tonight and then decide, but I think I really like the idea... Raziella won't be total skin and bones either, I may try to add an element or two from Ariel to keep in the propper style and all.
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #18
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Raziella starter.
Attached Images

Old 21-07-2009, 03:57 AM   #19
Edragon
I Like Chocolate Milk

nice I loved the Soul Reaver series. Gonna keep an eye on this thread
Edragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #20
yoyomon
Registered Lurker

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' 
Total Awards: 1
Aw I was hoping to see a male Kusanagi in her walk around outfit .
yoyomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #21
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
I tried Really I did, but I just couldn't get it.

But I am really liking the Raziel concept I'm doing.
Attached Images

Old 22-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #22
Darbruce
It's an Hatastrophe!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
1 part crazy, 2 parts awesome.
Old 25-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #23
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Nice, I was gonna do Raziel, but I thought it might be too hard

He's missing a lot of body parts and his lower jaw

Good luck though, I'll be watching this one to see what you come up with!
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #24
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Doesn't Raz have bigger forearms? Like Popeye arms with claws sticking out of 'em?

I think you should toy with the proportions some more. Your model is pretty slender, whereas Raziel is pretty stylized. Also she's missing stuff like boots.

Glad you decided to go with Raz though! I wanna see how this one turns out.

Old 27-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #25
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Raz never had boots in the games, his hands and feet were 'clover' according to in game dialog. No armor on the forearms either. Trust me I've been playing through the first two games lately just to get the character's mood. Raz is one of my favorite game characters.

I have made the female version more slender and slightly taller, but with this kind of flip femininity has to be brought out some what more since flat shriveled breasts aren't going to be enough to bring out the gender flip, at least in my opinion.
Attached Images

Last edited by dhin; 27-07-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Old 28-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #26
Harbinger
3D Artist

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger
cool concepts man. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 28-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #27
mel_danes
Occupant

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I think the real challenge here is how to pull off the feminine features without skin.
If I remember correctly and your ref art seems to confirm, Raz was mostly without skin. Literally just muscle tissue exposed. The breast area could be a bit dicey.

Another concern is the lower jaw. The original had that shawl/cowl to cover his disfigurement. With your model design that is completely exposed.

Maybe stick with the original costume and just fem up the proportions like you have in your sketch. I think with a new hair style, your Loli/Goth Pigtails are perfect, some breast hints, and curves your model will easily be recognizable.

At this point of concept you have quite a bit to play with and I'm glad someone is not trying to sex-up a character, but rather translate a male to a female.
mel_danes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #28
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel_danes View Post
I'm glad someone is not trying to sex-up a character, but rather translate a male to a female.
That was really the issue and why I choose Raz. With the typical swaps it is easy to run into that issue without even noticing. With raz though it takes more thought in where and how the feminine features are portrayed. I have to admit the breasts are a point of difficulty, that is one reason for the 'bra'. Where normally they are just fatty tissue they are the first to deteriorate with decay, but nothing says female like boobs. So there is a balancing act for them and I'm having some difficulty with them. (the reason for no updates lately)

I am keeping the scarf/cowl. I'm just not sure how I want to do it. I sort of like the rapped psudo-mummy look playing off a slightly different undead style than the soul reaver revenant that Raziel is. I'm still playing with Ideas though. Maybe when I get back from vacation I'll have it figured out.

Last edited by dhin; 28-07-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Old 29-07-2009, 04:34 AM   #29
Harbinger
3D Artist

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger
Hey, i saw your concept it kinda reminded my of this character:

maybe this could help you out. You know, give u some ideas. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:13 AM   #30
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhin View Post
I forgot a smilie, my bad No offense meant, and none taken. It's easy to misread the meant tone of a post.

And Vinny20 get ready for a beat down!!! First the boots comment now this, its war I tell you, WAR!
I like how you handle yourself sir; I'll gladly prepare for the beatdown - I earned it! (but honestly, no offense meant bro!)

And nice catch man. About the cloven limbs - that's totally that completely slipped my mind. It's been forever since I played LOK: Defiance, beat it, and traded it in. Now I miss it You grabbed a lot of nice reference there, too.

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 02-08-2009 at 03:16 AM..

Tags
dhin is cool, gender bender, raziel, soul reaver