>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 23-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
mcoy.traydor

Question from begginer [Need Help]

hi i just have some questions.

1st question:

i just want to ask why i cant see the highlighted axis when i want to move an object. i cant choose to move the object on x axis, y axis or any axis. its like i can move the object on all axis and cant pick an specific axis where i want my object to move.

sorry if i cant explain it clearly. just take a look at the attached image.

1st image

this is suppose to be the normal 3ds max. where you can pick a specific axis on where you want your object to move.

2nd image

this is what happened on my 3d studio max 8.0 now. i cant pick any specific axis anymore. if i pick x&y axis it wont highlight to show that thats the axis you have picked.

hope you understand.

how can i make my 3d studio max back to normal? was my 3ds max corrupt or i just touch some settings thats why this happen. can i fix this without re-installing my 3d studio max?

2nd question:

i download one ready made 3d model. and when i open it i saw that there was a website url written on any active viewport i clicked.
(see attached image)

my question is that. how can i do the same thing? how can i write something on any active viewport i clicked. i really want to learn how they did this one.
can you teach me how to do this one?

sorry if i have many questions. im just a newbie on 3d studio max and i really want to learn more and develop my skills on 3d max.

by the way im using 3d studio max 8.
mcoy.traydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
bgouletas
Basilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy.traydor View Post
1st question:

i just want to ask why i cant see the highlighted axis when i want to move an object. i cant choose to move the object on x axis, y axis or any axis. its like i can move the object on all axis and cant pick an specific axis where i want my object to move.
- Answer to 1st question:

See attachment and check too that the "X" button it isn't pressed on your PC keyboard.

Quote:
2nd question:

how can i write something on any active viewport i clicked. i really want to learn how they did this one.
can you teach me how to do this one?
- Answer to 2nd question:

a) You can use a manipulator - slider (Command Panel > Helpers > Manipulators > Slider). In Label you can put any text you like, play with the parameters. Then freeze it!

b) I suppose there will be a maxscript out there for better results... But I think with this trick you are fine.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

bgouletas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
mcoy.traydor

@bgouletas

thnxs dude. 1st question was solve and also my 2nd question. you really help me alot.

i just have another question for you.

i saw your portfolio and your works are great. i saw one work of yours that i liked most.

i tried making views with sun rays coming from outside. but i cant make a sun rays same like yours.

as you can see there is a sun coming from outside but the sun rays isnt shown. you cant see any sun rays coming from outside the room.

my question is how can i make a sun rays like what you made. how can i show a sun rays which came from outside of the room?

and how can i make a stone/walls like your works which really define the stone and realistically show its depthnes and curves. is it only on your material/maps used or you made some adjustments on your vray settings?
Old 24-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
DJdude
noobster

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
volumetric light?
Old 24-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
mcoy.traydor

@DJdude

im not sure whats its called. im just a begginer :lol

but as you can see on his works. you can clearly see the sun rays that came from the outside of the window. you can see the white rays. on my work you cant see any sunrays coming from the outside.

how can i make such sunrays to be shown on my renders? is it on the settings? whats the best settings for that?
Old 25-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Munkybutt

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
not sure how vray sun works but that looks like what happens when you dont have shadows turned on on a light.
Old 27-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
bgouletas
Basilis

Sorry for the delay but work made me prisoner

Quote:
@bgouletas
i tried making views with sun rays coming from outside. but i cant make a sun rays same like yours.
Ok, the rays you see in the render (Attachment 3) it is a light effect called "VOLUME LIGHT".
You can find it directly in the light parameters under Atmospheres & Effects.
The only tip and playing with the parameter you can see it, is that if you activate the shadows, the volume light (rays) is stopped from the objects
And always think that, "You have the control of the 3D program and no the program over you.".
So if you have to add more light in your scene to make it more realistic, do it. You can use the exclude button in general parameters of the light, so can tell it what to illuminate and what not.
You can do a good realistic scene without a super mega automatic (not true) render motor like mental ray, V-Ray or...

Quote:
@bgouletas
and how can i make a stone/walls like your works which really define the stone and realistically show its depthnes and curves. is it only on your material/maps used or you made some adjustments on your vray settings?
The wall is a v-ray displacement map added to the object (VRayDisplacementMod) not at the material.
And some + texture, +bump, +extra v-ray materials... etc

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Old 29-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
mcoy.traydor

@bgouletas

tnxs dude.. i got the sun rays now... it really add life on my renders..

where can i Download other Vray plug-ins? the only vray plug-ins i have are:

vraylightmtl
vraymtl
vraymtlwrapper

where can i DL more vray matl plug-ins? and how to install them?
Old 29-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
bgouletas
Basilis

Quote:
@bgouletas
where can i DL more vray matl plug-ins? and how to install them?
VRayDisplacementMod you can find it at the Modify Tab > Modifier List > VRayDisplacementMod (at the end of the list)
VRay_Documentation/VRayDisplacementMod